The "Malazan Book of the Fallen" thread.

Doppelganger

OK.. wild speculation time!

Possibly Duiker since he was with Coltaine's army and his return would be a big deal to the Bonehunters.

Possibly Tool, since he walked off into the sunset after becoming mortal again.

Quite possibly Silverfox, because she is uber.

Maybe Toc the younger reborn... mortal sword of the Grey Swords.

Lady Envy? No particular reason for suspecting her except that she might have the power to get to Letheras.

Korlat could make a comeback on Bluerose.

It would make sense for Kallor to be there, as a big honcho in the house of Chains.

Krul the elder god might be there to rattle Bug's cage.

ummm.....

I don't see how Duiker, Tool or Tok would get there, and Silverfox is headed to Assail (although she might want to pick up the lost T'lan Imass on Lether first...).

Duiker could get there the same way he got to Genebackis: courtessy of the tregale trade guild.

I'd be more interested if Team Mappo are in it (surely Mappo won't abandon Icarium?). If not, then most likely they were heading from Otataral Island to Genabackis at the end of TBH, and we'll link up with them in Toll the Hounds.

Team Mappo is not in RG, at least they haven't made an appearance thus far.

I assume it's safe to say that they are probably on Otataral Island, doing whatever needs to be done there... Although with all the shit that's brewing up, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up! As always, there is a major convergence in the works... :box: Can't wait to see who will live and who will die...

Patrick

My original call was that they'd head over to Genabackis to warn the Darujhistan contingent about the prophecised Return of the Tyrant. However, whilst that may be what Crokus wants (plus the stuff in TBH about him going home and finding his old identity again, or something), Mappo's desire to find Icarium would probably be stronger. They don't know that the 14th Army is already in pursuit or that Quick Ben, Trull Sengar and co. know about Icarium's powers and are on the case.

Kallor I'd say is a good possibility actually. He may have been summoned to do the CG's dirty work in Lether, so could run into the other characters there.

Oh man, Kallor running into Icarium or Karsa would be awesome poetic justice.

Pat, blacked out so that those who do not want to read it don't have to:

SPOILER: Reaper's Gale characters

Pat, who is the Redmask character then? Secondly who is the MoI character who turns up? Thirdly, is Rake in the book, other than the prologue

BTW we can start a separate RG spoilers thread as well if that is necessary.

Damnit Pat :D I really should stay away from all these tantalizing tidbits from RG. The anticipation is killing me, and all these little hints are only making things worse. One part of me screams for spoilers, but the rational part wants nothing reveled. Better if I just stay away.

But...it's...so...damn...hard!! :@

hood's balls

i resisted and i resisted, but at the end, i just had to read that thread and the tidbits about Reaper's Gale

I'm so ... jealous

Pat, you should have an entry in the dictionnary

something like "Pat : lucky bastard who should send me his ARC as soon as he's finished !!!"

*sigh*

well, just a few more months...

All I can say is that Silchas Ruin looks like he's one kick-ass character!

There is a most interesting new character called Redmask (the one who comes upon the slain foreigners in the prologue). I found him intriguing from the get-go, and then SE dropped the bomb as to who he truly is.

Since portions of the continent we haven't seen yet -- Bluerose, just to name that one -- see some action...

Okay, so I still have about 350 pages to go and it's too early to say for certain, but so far Reaper's Gale is the best Malazan novel since Memories of Ice.

No, I'm not messing with you guys! Someone we haven't seen since MoI is in Reaper's Gale...

Awesomeness. I can't decide what pleases me most. Thanks, Pat. :)

Calibandar,

I can't give you guys spoilers because I'm not allowed to -- at least no yet. Hints and thoughts on how good the novel is, however, I'm happy to! :)

Understandably, I cannot tell you which character from Memories of Ice is part of the story. But just to make sure that you guys don't go mad speculating wildly, I will concede that it's not Anomander Rake. Having said that, we do learn a whole lot about Rake in Reaper's Gale, which makes me eager to see him again in Toll the Hounds!

As for Redmask, he is of the Awl'dan, a people that's been subjugated by Lether. The Factor in the city of Drene has his eye on the Awl's lands and herds, and he started an extermination campaign against them. As they are being decimated, a man who was exiled years ago makes his return, with the firm intention to reclaim what the Letherii have stolen from the Awl'dan. A veritable legend, it is said that Redmask killed a dragon during his exile in the wastelands to the east. He returns bearing ancient weapons from the Awl'dan forgotten past, accompanied by two strange companions, ready to lead his people to war.

SE has this damnable and uncanny ability to create characters on which we have so little background, but who somehow capture our imagination (Rake, Ruin, Whiskeyjack, etc). Redmask is one of those characters. We know next to nothing about him, yet I'm eager to read every chapter in which he makes an appearance.

A little more than 200 pages to go and Rhulad has finally begun to face the Champions! Good shit up ahead, that's for sure! ;)

That's it for now. . .

Patrick

What thread is this on the Malaz boards? Trying to find it.

It's the thread called something like: "Most Missed and Favourite Character". A lot of people said they missed Rake, and Pat said that a lot of people will be very pleased about a certain appearance in RG, or words to that effect. He could have been talking about some of the other characters mentioned in the thread, but Rake was easily the one mentioned the most.

As for Redmask, he is of the Awl'dan, a people that's been subjugated by Lether. The Factor in the city of Drene has his eye on the Awl's lands and herds, and he started an extermination campaign against them. As they are being decimated, a man who was exiled years ago makes his return, with the firm intention to reclaim what the Letherii have stolen from the Awl'dan. A veritable legend, it is said that Redmask killed a dragon during his exile in the wastelands to the east. He returns bearing ancient weapons from the Awl'dan forgotten past, accompanied by two strange companions, ready to lead his people to war.

Sounds cool, thanks for the info you've given sofar Pat.

i've got a collectors question....

Blood follows/healthy dead come in a collectors edition of 1 of 150.

http://www.clarkesworldbooks.com/book_1597800074.html

i can't find a 1 of 150 edition for lees of laughter's end, only 1 of 500. Are these different editions?

The HD edition from Night Shade Books you linked to there isn't the original.

BF was first published in 2002 by PS Publishing. At that time it was available in two forms: a signed and numbered paperback (1 of 500) and a signed and numbered hardcover (1 of 300). The hardcover might've also been signed by Donaldson, who wrote the introduction (I only have the paperback, so I'm not sure).

Edit: http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/cat/bf.asp

HD was first published in 2004 by PS Publishing. At that time it was available in two forms: a signed and numbered paperback (1 of 500) and a signed and numbered hardcover (1 of 400). The hardcover was also signed by Paul Kearney, who wrote the introduction.

Edit: http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/cat/thd.asp

It's possible that at some point in the future LLE will also be available from Night Shade Books in a more limited leather edition.

Archived