Ironborn or Dornish

Wmarshal

They hate the Ironborn more, temporarily. I think they're going to end up on the wrong side of the dragons again, and the Reader will end up in charge, which would be good for everyone. Hey, he's a Harlaw, not a Greyjoy. Anyone know what House Harlaw's words are?

Echoing everybody else, what the heck happened between the Reach and Dorne? I'd really like to get that bit of history. Is it the Tyrell family or the whole region?

Echoing everybody else, what the heck happened between the Reach and Dorne? I'd really like to get that bit of history. Is it the Tyrell family or the whole region?

The whole region mostly, and I think it's always just been a control for territory. The Stormlands is in on the rivalry too.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if it was because the Dornish live so liberally, and their culture is looked down upon.

Everybody hates the Ironborn. I don't understand how there has never been a King or Lord who decided to extinguish them forever in a holy war.

Cruzade against the pirates.

It would appear that this has been attempted, on both sides of the continent. The sisters used to be very similar to the Ironmen (though they worshiped the storm), but they were put down by the Northmen and Arynns (who also fought each other). The Andals also undertook a purge of the Island, but they went over to the Drowned God in the end.

As to why they weren't successful or no king went on to conquer the Iron Islands, well lets echo Braavos for a second. "Ships are the walls of the city". Not to mention that the resource deprived Islands has little to offer a king and his vassals.

The Ironborn, no question.

PS. am I the only one who likes the Ironborn? They have a great history, a strong warrior culture and utter some of the coolest lines in the series. The only Ironborn I truly hate is Damphair and I disliked Balon greatly but other than that, they are awesome. Even Theon

I like them to an extent. The problem is that sometimes they seem over the top or caricatural. Their skills in combat are absurd etc.

I like them to an extent. The problem is that sometimes they seem over the top or caricatural. Their skills in combat are absurd etc.

This. Martin wanted them to have Vikings skills, but it doesn't fit with Westeros.

For me, what is unrealistic is the fact that no one has tried to eradicate them.

This. Martin wanted them to have Vikings skills, but it doesn't fit with Westeros.

For me, what is unrealistic is the fact that no one has tried to eradicate them.

The Scandivanvians >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Ironborn.

Atleast the Norse had some semblance of law, honour and culture. The Ironborn are just barbarians on steroids.

Same question to you: Any textual evidence of these absurd skills?

-The fact that they fight on boats with armor, heavy axes, coats, etc.. It's cool on paper, but it is unrealistic.

-Finger-dance.

-The ability of the Ironborn to build larger ships is compromised by a lack of the natural resources. Yet they rule the seas. How? The Redwyne could have destroyed them centuries ago.

-The Iron Islands are the least populated kingdom. How could they have ruled over the Riverlands? How can they even dare to attack the Reach?

-Balon tried to rebel against the Iron Throne. And his kingdom wasn't devastated, and he didn't die. Nothing. That is unrealistic.

-The fact that they fight on boats with armor, heavy axes, coats, etc.. It's cool on paper, but it is unrealistic.

The romans did as well. So did the medieval fleets.

-Finger-dance.

Russian roulette.

-The ability of the Ironborn to build larger ships is compromised by a lack of the natural resources. Yet they rule the seas. How? The Redwyne could have destroyed them centuries ago.

The Iron Islands have ~5 times the landmass of the Arbor.

-The Iron Islands are the least populated kingdom. How could they have ruled over the Riverlands? How can they even dare to attack the Reach?

Piece by piece. Ask Alexander the Great. Or that little town at the Tiber. Or Queen Victoria.

-Balon tried to rebel against the Iron Throne. And his kingdom wasn't devastated, and he didn't die. Nothing. That is unrealistic.

Ask Henry the Lion. Several times.

The Scandivanvians >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Ironborn.

Atleast the Norse had some semblance of law, honour and culture. The Ironborn are just barbarians on steroids.

Exactly. The vikings had earned their reputation as raiders yet they also settled, traded with, and assimilated into other peoples. In doing so they flourished for centuries and left an indelible mark.

Archived