The Essosi peoples' skin color and racism

Panos Targaryen

• 6 months later...

YUNG LYANNA-

Sure, Dothraki and Ghiscari cultures are portrayed as pretty brutal... but they're also based on real cultures who actually did justify this kind of activity as a tradition. For that matter, I wouldn't say Westeros gives a very good account of white/European people.

Plus, nearly every culture we've come in contact with has had one (at the VERY least) representative talk with main characters and give the reader insight into their culture.

Now, I know they aren't give the same depth of analysis as the main characters... but considering the central conflict of the entire series is a succession crisis over the throne of Westeros specifically, why would the narrative spend much time in other places in the world? Especially when it already spends tons of time there?

Really, with a series that provides so many conceivable viewpoints on the same issue, would non-white characters who defy their own cultural norms REALLY bring that much to the story?

I always thought Salladhor Saan was a great character. A pirate, sure, and flamboyant, but also loyal. After all, when Stannis' army is smashed on the BW, does Saan turn on him, trapping Stannis between Saan's ships and the Lannister-Tyrell army? Nope, he stays loyal, despite the fact that his chances of getting paid just went down the drain. He proves far less fickle than most of the Lords and Knights who declare themselves for Stannis after Renly's death. And he stays loyal for a long time afterwards, despite not being paid a single dragon.

I always thought Salladhor Saan was a great character. A pirate, sure, and flamboyant, but also loyal. After all, when Stannis' army is smashed on the BW, does Saan turn on him, trapping Stannis between Saan's ships and the Lannister-Tyrell army? Nope, he stays loyal, despite the fact that his chances of getting paid just went down the drain. He proves far less fickle than most of the Lords and Knights who declare themselves for Stannis after Renly's death. And he stays loyal for a long time afterwards, despite not being paid a single dragon.

Isn't he only dark skinned in the show? He's supposed to be Lysene, isn't he?

Some people complain due to the fact that the Valyrians and the Qartheen, as well as other Essosi peoples have pale skin, while living in a very hot and and almost desert-like climate. Some even said this shows unconscious racism from GRRM ("the mighty dragonlords had to be white, huh?" or something similar).

However, in the TV series we see that most people in Essos, especially Slaver's Bay, are dark skinned, with many different skin tones. Guess what? A lot of people complained that the scene in the season 3 finale where the freed slaves lift up Daenerys and call her Mhysa is racist, because it shows a white, blond and pale person being "worshipped" by dark skinned people. So, what's it going to be? Should the Essosi be dark skinned or light skinned? Cause both are racist apparently.

How did you come to the opinion: Guess what? A lot of people complained that the scene in the season 3 finale where the freed slaves lift up Daenerys and call her Mhysa is racist because it shows a white, blond and pale person being "worshipped" by dark skinned people. I don’t remember the season 3 finale. Yep, season 3 finale is done and gone. Guess what? This is not the Game of Thrones forum.

There has been positive discussion to this topic. Personally I am glad, because to me it seems like the OP was a bait trap.

As to the color of peoples outer skins, I have lived in the Philippines and in Guam and I have seen the different shades of brown skin, pale to dark in each country. Both of those countries have their own aborigines.

I’ll give you a real world scenario and you tell me where racism or ignorance comes to play, because in the USA racism is locked into a specific mindset.

I married a Filipino American. Shade of brown with black wavy hair (yep, against the straight hair stereotype). I was continually asked if he was Native American. Our children blond haired when born. Hair eventually turned dark brown with auburn tint and their skin a beautiful shade of brown (the color white girls would kill to have). Until this day they are constantly asked if they are Mexican.

So, if Americans have a problem with the book saga ASOIAF, my suggestion is don’t read it and don’t watch the HBO show.

I would feel safe in saying that the majority of Americans do not understand that Spaniards (European) are not Mexican. I would also include that most US Americans do not know that Central and South American native born people are not Mexicans.

Comedy can be a great healer. Carlin was my favorite; sadly he had to be replaced. New fav is Russell Peters.

Isn't he only dark skinned in the show? He's supposed to be Lysene, isn't he?

You may well be right. He is Lysene, but I watched the first 2 seasons of the show before reading the books so some of the casting of the characters has bled into my perception of their book counterparts. Well, that is embarrassing.

As Panos already pointed out, racism as we know it today didn't really exist in the middle ages, if a black person lived in europe they might be seen as strange, or as an outsider, but they wouldn't be viewed as an inferior. Like nationalism racism is a relatively new concept.

I think most likely that a medieval western European would think he was a Saracen, and if the crusades were going on, they may kill him on sight.

Archived