GOODKIND VII, The sword of truthiness

The editor quote (and the other Python remarks made here), makes me think of one of the other prophets (like Nathan Rahl!) from "Life of Brian":

FALSE PROPHET: "...For the demon[or editor?] shall bear a nine-bladed sword. Nine-bladed! Not two or five or seven, but nine, which he will wield on all wretched sinners, sinners just like you, sir, there, and the horns shall be on the head, with which he will..."

And another "prophecy" from the same sequence:

BLOOD & THUNDER PROPHET: "...And the bezan [Gratch?] shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon [Kahlan?] shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts. Yeeah..."

I just don't get why Richard hates prophecy, and tries to flout it at every turn with his free will.

Those prophecies crack me up every time. Actually, pretty much every scene in Life of Brian cracks me up every time. I still think it stands as the finest Monty Python work, in part because of its coherence and in part because Graham Chapman was actually sober during the filming of it (differentiating it from The Holy Grail, for instance).

So TG is opposed to prophecy? But isn't Richard destined to be great and wonderful?

Word in from George RR Martin:

George wants us to go easy on Terry Goodkind. His webmaster said to George, "If you can't something say something nice, don't say anything at all" to which George responded, "Am I Thumper?"

mystar is truly one of a kind. he trolls this thread posting nonsense for the express purpose of getting people to call him on it, so he can have something to run and whine to people about. i don't think Goodkind(BBHN) would want us to give into this kind of underhanded, terroristic tactic. we must keep the thread going, for Goodkind's sake.

Actually I'll have to admit to some puzzlement over GRRM's reply. Was that a Watership Down reference?

I am actually starting to lean towards the dedicated forum idea that was floated a while back. This would have key advantages (QotD having it's own section, parodies having its own section etc) and would avoid antagonising mods (such as people continuing to post occasional one-line replies to posts when they've been told not to; and no, quotes don't count) and stop people bothering George with pointless emails. At the end of the day, GRRM has nothing to do with this board other than he's met a few people from here and a few people have a direct line to him for occasional queries and things.

Actually I'll have to admit to some puzzlement over GRRM's reply. Was that a Watership Down reference?

I'm fairly certain that Thumper is the rabbit from Bambi. I didn't really understand the reference either though, I haven't seen that movie since I was a little kid.

Got my rabbits mixed up. I hate it when that happens! Isn't that what Bambi said to Thumper when he said something hurtful or something?

WTF is going on? Discussing Bambi on a GK thread? This has gone beyond 'metta' and is bordering on abstract surrealism :huh:

Actually, I'm not sure Goodkind is anti-abortion, as such. The impression I'm getting isn't really "death to all baby-killers!". It's more like "having babies is great and beautiful and wonderful and the most amazing thing you can ever experience! It's bliss! It's ecstasy! People who don't have babies aren't human, they're empty, soulless shells! In fact, what are you waiting for - get out there and have babies right now!"

So really, is he anti-abortion, or is he just fanatically pro-reproduction?

Mind you, I'm fine with despising him in either case, so I'm good. ;)

As for prophesies, that's one thing I actually thought was funny when I first read it, since at that point I didn't realise it was supposed to be some deep, profound statement about free will - I thought it was just a playful jab at the way prophesy usually work in fantasy.

DU CHAILLU: Lord Rahl, I must tell you about this prophesy I've made...

RICHARD: Hold it right there.

DU CHAILLU: But, my prophesy...

RICHARD: I don't want to hear it!

DU CHAILLU: But, but, but, it's a prophesy! You have to hear it! Being told to heroes is what prophesies are for!

RICHARD: Why? I know how this goes! You'll tell me some piece of poetic nonsense that will be so hopelessly cryptic that I won't understand it until it's already come true, so I'll just worry inefficiently about it up until then, at which point I'll feel stupid for not realising all along what it meant! Prophesies are never helpful!

DU CHAILLU: Fine! Put me out of a job just when I'm about to become a single mother, why don't you?

Got my rabbits mixed up. I hate it when that happens! Isn't that what Bambi said to Thumper when he said something hurtful or something?

WTF is going on? Discussing Bambi on a GK thread? This has gone beyond 'metta' and is bordering on abstract surrealism :huh:

Heh. Well. :D

Thumper: He doesn't walk very good, does he?

Mrs. Rabbit: Thumper!

Thumper: Yes, mama?

Mrs. Rabbit: What did your father tell you this morning?

Thumper: [clears throat] If you can't say something nice... don't say nothing at all.

The reply in question strikes as a mild rebuttal :)

16 users reading .......... <shakes head> ....... this is attracting more customers than Big Brother or Coronation Street ...oh the fascination of gossip and tabloid talk :D

Is the reading capacity of all Goodkind, Blessed Be His Name, fans impaired from their immersion in his writing? This site, run by westeros.org, is in no way sanctioned by GRRM. He doesn't own, or run, or control the content of this site. Why the hell would the webmaster of some Goodkind site run and talk to GRRM about what transpires here in one of the subforums of a large board? This is beyond idiotic and immature. This is retardiculoused.

Post-modern abstract surrealist interpretive comparative deconstructionist analysis of Goodkind is what is is, I say! And it obviously includes references to Bambi.

Another work of Disney that I haven't previously seen references to on GK threads is Education for Death. Can someone please place this work in the context of Goodkind's more general philosophical theories?

And yes, that is apparently a real Disney propaganda film.

While I am sure that TerraPrime could step up and give a good reasoned argument, I'm just gonna barrel on in here and say my piece. That, yes, there is a slice of homophobia in SoT. Take, for example, one of the characters of WFR (I can't honestly remember this person's name). The oppressor (a thinly disguised communist), who also happens to be a gay pedophile? Seriously -- when your avatar for communism is a gay pedophile, you are saying pointed things about 1) communism, 2) homosexuality (remember, most people who are wigged out by gay people get all "think of the children!" over it) and a very distant 3) pedophilia.

Is the reading capacity of all Goodkind, Blessed Be His Name, fans impaired from their immersion in his writing? This site, run by westeros.org, is in no way sanctioned by GRRM. He doesn't own, or run, or control the content of this site. Why the hell would the webmaster of some Goodkind site run and talk to GRRM about what transpires here in one of the subforums of a large board? This is beyond idiotic and immature. This is retardiculoused.

Might be that it's the way it works their end. ;)

Isn't the webmaster mystar, anyway? Or am I slandering the poor lad.

got the first copies of Phantom to the store today.. Opened it on a random page and found the story somewhat interesting actually.. Good enough for me to finish the page... and then everything just collapsed into a long long sequence of: Richard telling a whisp he wanted into a forest and the whisp telling him he couldn't..

If you have a name that will instantly let you enter, and you know this, why ffs do he try to argue himself in for like three pages?

For those that are brave enough (Brave Sir Robin, I'm looking at YOU!), here is a link that leads to a video interview of the Yeardi in its natural environment. I'll leave it up to others to make of it what they shall ;)

While I am sure that TerraPrime could step up and give a good reasoned argument, I'm just gonna barrel on in here and say my piece. That, yes, there is a slice of homophobia in SoT. Take, for example, one of the characters of WFR (I can't honestly remember this person's name). The oppressor (a thinly disguised communist), who also happens to be a gay pedophile? Seriously -- when your avatar for communism is a gay pedophile, you are saying pointed things about 1) communism, 2) homosexuality (remember, most people who are wigged out by gay people get all "think of the children!" over it) and a very distant 3) pedophilia.

Ah yes. You're absolutely right.

But I took him for a nazi, I need to read more carefully :lol: (I was only shielding my brain from immediate shutdown)

The name is Demmin Nass, by the way.

I guess it's tough for a true tough american to talk about male homosexuality :rolleyes: . But we get a good bit on the female equivalent :D

Wow, I am trying to come up with a decent analogy that would be equivalent to a someone telling GRRM to say nice things, when it seems obvious that he's not affiliated with any of these posts (as far as I know). Indeed, it seems quite un-Yeardly in mine eyes.

It's totally like Richard sending a communication to Jagang that the Sisters of the Dark and/or Light are threatening his moral clarity. Or telling peace that a bunch of war protesters are cramping your style. Or being snide to Gratch because his some of his bloodflies bit you on the heiny.

As far as doing something for your argument, it's kind of like cutting off your ponytail to spite your Yeard.

For those that are brave enough (Brave Sir Robin, I'm looking at YOU!), here is a link that leads to a video interview of the Yeardi in its natural environment. I'll leave it up to others to make of it what they shall ;)

Interesting. Goodkind admits that Richard is his "alter-ego" and "acts like I would act". So I guess we can put that speculation to rest. He also said that Richard gives people a template on how to live their lives. The..uh..special effects in this interview are quite amazing. From the questions the interviewer asked it also sounds like she was told which questions to ask.

Archived