Daenerys as a "Villain" Appreciation 2.0, with new take

LordStoneheart

I think of all the would-be claimants to the Throne, at the least, Dany has consideration for the people she's seeking to rule over. Even in Slaver's Bay, she's trying to make it work, trying to make the transition from a slaver society to a 'free' society.

When I think about the others, most of them really can't make that claim. Stannis feels ruling is his duty, which isn't so bad at all, but yet he doesn't seem too altogether interested in saving any smallfolk that he can or making their lives better, it's more of a 'how can I gather men to fight my war' type of give and take with him. Joffrey, well I think it's obvious he had few if any interests in the people he was ruling. Renly never really got off the ground so it's a bit hard to say but he seemed to be grasping for power for power's sake. Balon, a mix of Joffrey and Renly; people are supplicants to him and seeking power for power's sake. Robb at least was reacting to what happened. He called the banners because war was declared on the Starks due to Jaime's actions toward Ned. Now he seemed to be compassionate about his troops and we can make the logical transition to him being the same type of ruler. Yet, he's dead so what kind of ruler he is or would be at this point is moot.

Of course Dany has a lot to learn, about ruling and other things as well, but she resembles Sansa in a lot of ways. Always trying to please others and being afraid... yet she finds her strength. We don't know yet how 'villainous' Sansa can be because she's had no power to exert, unless you consider her power over Sweet Robin the example. Now it can surely be said that Dany has a temper and that causes her to make poor decisions, yet, I don't yet see her as being raving mad, like Rhaenyra exhibited during the Dance. She has it in her, but she hasn't gone to any extreme to achieve her goal(s), so time will tell if she follows in Rhaenyra's footsteps.

At this point, I don't think anyone has any more of a rightful claim to the IT than any other. It's about conquest at this point, the only difference is that the Targaryen claimant(s) has held the throne before, while the others are making their first go of it. I don't see Dany as being a villain but she could be seen to be and that might be how her arc is shaping up, wanting to do the right things by the 'people of westeros' but being seen as just another mad Targaryen who'll likely bring about another round of fire and blood to an already war-ravaged populous. Even if she becomes a villain, kind of like how Rhaenyra had the right to succession given to her by the King, but made very rash and illogical decisions in the pursuit of it, I hope she's the one to break the sort of reputation of Targ women being ruthless rulers and becoming hated for it.

What are you talking about? Dany didn't end slavery, she just killed a whole of people, enslaved some meerenish, allow people to sell themselves, didn't stop the butcher king, and allowed slaves being sold every where but , the city alone, Meeren. She ended no slavery.

As to Rhaenyra, she never did anything extreme. Where Dany butchered, crucified, and tortured. She is the extreme one between the two.

(This isn't for but I don't need to post twice)

Oh and lets get one thing clear for Dragons are for everyone but Dany choir. She is not the dragon clearance house special. Where she does all the work, where she did everything for them and people who did nothing to get the dragons end up with them and she ends up dead at the hands of fill in the blank .........................., because everyone wants a dragon for their fav. Drogon is her dragon, the other two are up for grabs but don't think they are free, you want power and dragons and super special magic swords then said character is going to have to make one hell of a sacrifice. AA and Dany show that this kind of power comes at a major cost, not over in the Dragon blue light special discount center for lazy Heroes.

:agree: :cheers: :commie:

Wonderfully put. The urge to take everything that Dany has, especially the dragons, and give them to someone else baffles me and pisses me off. What would happen if I suggested Dany would steal Ghost away from Jon? The world would likely end. Ghost belongs unequivocally to Jon. Drogon belongs unequivocally to Dany. Rhaegal and Viserion also belong to Dany, but will be given away to those who either have the power to take them or she chooses to give them to. I do not see Drogon ever belonging to anyone else within the time of the books, even if Dany were to die. I think he'd return to his rock on the Dothraki Sea before letting anyone else ride him.

:agree: :agree: :agree: I cant expess how irritated i get when i hear people talk about the "foreshadowing" of Jon getting Drogon :angry2: No. Just no. Dany and Drogon's fates are intertwined imo.

This so very, very much. It's like they are purposely disregarding the mountains of textual evidence showing the bond between Dany and Drogon because they want their favorite to get the the most awesome dragon.

As mentioned above, if you want a dragon you'll have to pay a steep price for it, like Dany had to. Magic is a very costly thing in Martin's world.

This so very, very much. It's like they are purposely disregarding the mountains of textual evidence showing the bond between Dany and Drogon because they want their favorite to get the the most awesome dragon.

I don't think that anyone will have Drogon when Dany is alive, ok maybe BR could do that. The people I have seen mentioning that someone else will take Drogon believe that this will happen after Dany's death.

I don't think that anyone will have Drogon when Dany is alive, ok maybe BR could do that. The people I have seen mentioning that someone else will take Drogon believe that this will happen after Dany's death.

If Dany dies it'll be at the very end of the ADoS - like second to last chapter - end of the book. I'm of the belief that if Dany dies, the dragons will die with her.

What was stolen from her? Oh wait a minute the bad evil Rebels stole the Thrown from the innocent and immaculate Aerys and his beloved family who so wisely and peacefully stole 6 Kingdoms from their Kings.

Robert had a right to rebel. I don't see anyone in this thread saying he didn't or that the Mad King was a saint so save the sarcasm. Even Rhaegar seemed intent on disposing his father.

Robert didn't kill all of the Targaryen heirs like he should have, however. Now the Iron Throne has one (or more) Targaryen claimants to deal with.

and by her own laws " you lost the house when you ran away."

That is also true.

This again.

She didn't "run away".

This means the Starks have no right to Winterfell. From Bran to Rickon, none have a claim. Even Jon who actually did run away (in his own way) to join the Wall.

If Dany dies it'll be at the very end of the ADoS - like second to last chapter - end of the book. I'm of the belief that if Dany dies, the dragons will die with her.

I disagree. I believe that Dany will die in the middle of aDoS and that at the end she will have only Drogon. One of the other two will die/been free in Essos and the other will die during LN2.0 before the War for the Dawn 2.0.

Well a lot of people don't even want the Dragons given or earned they want them forcibly warged to obey such and such or for a horn to work. I would like to see the Dragons with certain characters like everyone else, well two of them. But Drogon away from Dany? What the hell? If Dany dies Drogon is going with her, at least that's how I see it, not leading a 3 dragon team pulling a flying chariot while a certain character waves his magic sword and beats the Others by smiling at them and has the Iron throne and everything else handed to him because of a super secret plot where everyone knows who he is but him and they all worship him.

Dany frees tens of thousands of slaves and people are mad because she didn't buy them all new cars and houses. She is so evil some of the slavers homes burnt, now they will have to live in one of their country estates, the poor freaking babies. If she was a good leader she would just bring instant perfection to everything, just like Bella in Twilight. Ending slavery is so easy I could do it in like five seconds, it's really not that bad though, I think the slavers are kind of funny and slaves enjoy it. Tell you what sense it is so easy maybe all the detractors can do something minor like end racism, poverty, starvation, war, black market slavery, economic inequality etc... You all got 5 seconds and no mistakes are allowed.

15 year old who grew up on the streets is ending slavery and making a difference and people want to nit pick her to death. Ummm what is she paying the slaves? I want an exact accounting and all her records. It's totally cultural bias to hate slavers, they have a right to their culture cause it totally doesn't effect anyone else. Every week it is something new. She is nothing like Jon, they are totally different except for the near identical parallels right down to the two assassination attempts at the same time. Sure SB is only a metaphorical giant whos stomach was the focus of poisoning and Wun is a really giant who had his stomach slashed. Sure Dany has called Selmy her white shadow, and Jon calls Ghost his white shadow but it's totally different, really it is.

Oh and what is up with that Lemon tree? I think it means she is evil and crazy, yes clearly that's it and she isn't a real targ because of the Lemon tree either. How is any of that irrational? Hello lemon tree not a Targ, makes perfect sense right?

Seriously though I would be hurt if someone took Ghost away from Jon, you just don't do that.

Again :agree: :cheers:

Yes, Drogo is Dany's and only Dany's, just as Ghost is Jon's and only Jon's. Drogon will either die with her or fly away and be a wild dragon if Dany were to die. And no way in hell will anyone else ever ride Drogon as anything but a passenger if Dany is alive. Stupid horns and warging be dammed. If you want a dragon you better be willing to pay the ultimate price like Dany.

And the slavers, yes, so many posters think they would be so omnipresent if they were in that position and get it right the first time. These are fucking slavers, they raid other lands and snatch up children for profit. Ya, they're not hurting anybody. They deserve to live! Um, no. Fuck them. Let them all die, every one of them. Dany didn't kill enough, that's the problem.

The Lords in Westeros were planning and knew what was going on. We don't know how old the Great Masters were and how long they were at this "job". For all we know teens of 13-16 could have inherited their fathers' seat in the counsil. Why they had to die?

The fact that the other Masters nominated those 163 is fishy. There is no evidence that Dany killed those who were guilty.

So now fighting for your freedom is a bad thing and that means that someone deserves to die? Not to mention that Dany said that she will take Westeros with "FIRE UND BLUUUD" which basically means that she will kill people only to take a chair, the same people she calls her people.

Funny you talk about slavers fighting for their freedom, wait, by butchering children. Ya, let them all die. I don't have 1 fuck to give for any member of the Great Masters. And where are these 13-16 year old Great Masters? My take is that they're all well into adulthood.

Again :agree: :cheers:

And the slavers, yes, so many posters think they would be so omnipresent if they were in that position and get it right the first time. These are fucking slavers, they raid other lands and snatch up children for profit. Ya, they're not hurting anybody. They deserve to live! Um, no. Fuck them. Let them all die, every one of them. Dany didn't kill enough, that's the problem.

Do you believe the children she slaughtered also should have died.

Do you believe the children she slaughtered also should have died.

Do you believe babies the Unsullied killed deserved to die? Do you have no sympathy for the Unsullied? Can you fathom how many children have died to the slave trade before Dany's arrival?

Do you believe babies the Unsullied killed deserved to die? Do you have no sympathy for the Unsullied? Can you fathom how many children have died to the slave trade before Dany's arrival?

Can you imagine how those kids had nothing to do with that or how she did not stop those those kids younger brothers from becoming unsullied?

Hundreds of thousands if not millions, depending on how long the practice has been going. For the batch of 8,000 Unsullied that Dany got at least 50,000 children had to die.

Hundreds of thousands if not millions, depending on how long the practice has been going. For the batch of 8,000 Unsullied that Dany got at least 50,000 children had to die.

So for what the good masters did it made Dany's murder of children okay?

So for what the good masters did it made Dany's murder of children okay?

Do you care at all for those children who died to make the Unsullied? Can you answer that question?

Archived