Jaime's Missed Line [Spoilers]

JesterX

Dudes, first episode. Tywin smashed the Starks by patiently writing letters. Going with the show's interpretation, he has his somewhat wayward golden child back. He's even given him an infinity + 1 sword. He can wear him down...so he thinks. He's annoyed, but for Jaime he has a higher "I've had it with your shit" threshold than with his other kiddos. It's going to escalate for sure.

yes, please.

I actually liked "What you want?", "Supper would be nice."

Supper > Rock.

Short and sweet, and so, so perfect. ^^

in the books isnt tywin basically verbally disowning jaime? i was amongst people and talking but, i didnt get that initial impression. it just seemed like a verbal spat

The subtlety of 'without a family' was not lost on me...family being mother, father, brother, sister, as well as wife, children etc.

I loved this scene. Tywin's self-control has been nigh-infinite up to this point, which is rather scary when you think about it. He refuses to discuss his decisions (once they're made, they're made) or admit to any form of vulnerability. The man is a relentless, methodical Terminator/Rock who makes Stannis look hot-headed and impulsive by comparison.

Then you have Jaime who used to be snarky, careless and impulsive, going toe-to-toe with Tywin with the exact same icy calm. Gah! Son now is on equal ground with his father, even if the father hasn't accepted the fact.

The mistake the other two (Cersei and Tyrion) made was in arguing with Tywin. Jaime doesn't bother. He just says "No".

Dudes, first episode. Tywin smashed the Starks by patiently writing letters. Going with the show's interpretation, he has his somewhat wayward golden child back. He's even given him an infinity + 1 sword. He can wear him down...so he thinks. He's annoyed, but for Jaime he has a higher "I've had it with your shit" threshold than with his other kiddos. It's going to escalate for sure.

Agree. He definitely has a soft spot for him. And he obviously thinks he'll eventually change his mind.

My favourite part of that scene was when Tywin asked Jaime "What do you want?" and Jaime had a pained look on his face and looked almost as if he was going to actually answer him (and we all know WHAT he wants and WHY he wants to stay in the KG), but then controlled himself and said "supper would be nice". Superb acting my Nicolaj Coster Waldau. I felt really bad for poor Jaime. I feel like if he had told he might have felt better. It would've begun a shitstorm, but he would at least get a weight off his chest.

Remember that Jaime arrived much earlier in the show compared to the books. There will be time for them to have this discussion again, especially after the PW and Tryion's arrest. I bet as the trial goes on, Jamie will be shown to be disgusted by the way that Tywin discards Tryion, and there will be anther talk between them where Casterly Rock will be brought up. That is when Jamie will blow up on Tywin for his hipocracy over Tryion. Along the lines of "for all your talk about family, but you only cared for the Rock. I don'y want your Rock!" I think that is when you see Jaime go get Varys to bust out Tyrion.

Remember that Jaime arrived much earlier in the show compared to the books. There will be time for them to have this discussion again, especially after the PW and Tryion's arrest. I bet as the trial goes on, Jamie will be shown to be disgusted by the way that Tywin discards Tryion, and there will be anther talk between them where Casterly Rock will be brought up. That is when Jamie will blow up on Tywin for his hipocracy over Tryion. Along the lines of "for all your talk about family, but you only cared for the Rock. I don'y want your Rock!" I think that is when you see Jaime go get Varys to bust out Tyrion.

That would be a great scene.

That would be a little uncalled for.... Jaime lost his hand, not something else!

He didn't mean that Tywin would be calling Jaime a girl. He was saying he was expecting the same type of response from him to Jaime as he had with Cersei when he yelled at her, "You're my daughter!"

I liked the scene, but the missing line I thought was going to be discussed was Jamie's remark about destroying "Ice" to make the two new swords. Like others here, I do think there will be more confrontations between the two throughout the season.

Am I missing something, but Tywin disowned him with his line "A man without family needs all the help he can get".

Totally in keeping with Tywin's character, and Jamie was fully aware of what it meant.

I took that line to mean: "If you're not going to marry and produce an heir for the Lannister house, you're going to need all the help you can get..."

I didn't take it to mean Tywin was completely disowning him but acknowledging that Jaime was disowning himself by refusing to do what the heir should do. He can't marry or have children in the King's Guard and that's just the way he wants it so he can stay near Cersei which he even pointed out to her. If anyone's disowning house Lannister, it's Jaime. Tywin simply confirmed it.

Archived