Jaime's Missed Line [Spoilers]

JesterX

I started ASOIAF from the HBO series and then subsequently went through all 5 books but HBO definitely blew it last night. In the book when Tywin offered Jaime Caterly Rock, Jaime said coldy, bluntly . . .

"I don't want your rock"

I was really looking forward to that line in the series. Don't know why HBO choose to remove it but it was one of the best lines from the book.

he was pretty much just, "im pissed, but take your new sword anyway." and jaime was like, "ok..."

tywin should have said "youll choose the kingsguard over your right at casterly rock?? i have no son..."

Dudes, first episode. Tywin smashed the Starks by patiently writing letters. Going with the show's interpretation, he has his somewhat wayward golden child back. He's even given him an infinity + 1 sword. He can wear him down...so he thinks. He's annoyed, but for Jaime he has a higher "I've had it with your shit" threshold than with his other kiddos. It's going to escalate for sure.

There may be a confrontation part two later on. I think it's likely in fact. I mean why not put those two in another scene together...they can raise their voices next time.

in the books isnt tywin basically verbally disowning jaime? i was amongst people and talking but, i didnt get that initial impression. it just seemed like a verbal spat

They might still fight again over Tyrion

"Now, you're my only son. Take the Rock"

"I don't want your Rock"

"Then I have no son!"

"Duh".

I was definitely expecting a slightly angrier exchange, given that the rift is so important, but having watched the scene several times, I think the quieter approach is actually very clever and there is considerable subtlety in NCW's acting. Sometimes things that are quietly spoken can be just as powerful. Jaime started off just as he did in the book: of course he could fight with his left hand! And the old arrogance - he doesn't have to be up to his previous standard, just better than everyone else. And then Tywin's attempt to bully him into leaving the KG and taking over at Casterly Rock. Tywin has always seen Jaime as his real heir, has always wanted to get him out of the KG, and the last thing he obviously expected was Jaime's very quiet No, repeated the same way. Tywin is just not used to people saying No to him, especially not his children.

Which made me remember the (invented) Season 3 scenes where Tywin bullied Cersei and Tyrion and both of them reacted angrily and bitterly, and in Cersei's case, loudly. Neither of them was able to say No to Daddy. You expected Tyrion to try to stand up to Tywin, and also expected him to fail, but I don't think show-only viewers saw this coming with Jaime, so I thought that both the tone of the scene and the fact that Jaime does say No, were a great contrast. Back in Season 1 Jaime was pretty cowed by Tywin in that (again invented) deer-gutting scene, yet now he has found the strength to stand up to his father. Yes, he wants to stay in KL and be with Cersei, but you also wonder about Brienne's influence on his newfound sense of honour. And an interesting ending: the air of casual bravado as he says that Tywin will obviously want the sword back, Tywin's very cutting remark as he disowns Jaime, and the way Jaime just takes the sword and marches out with a 'couldn't care less' air. Which you know is going to be hiding tremendous hurt.

There may be a confrontation part two later on. I think it's likely in fact. I mean why not put those two in another scene together...they can raise their voices next time.

There better be. It may even come right after the PW, where Tywin will actually be sort of proved right: Jaime "fails" to protect the king.

Dudes, first episode. Tywin smashed the Starks by patiently writing letters. Going with the show's interpretation, he has his somewhat wayward golden child back. He's even given him an infinity + 1 sword. He can wear him down...so he thinks. He's annoyed, but for Jaime he has a higher "I've had it with your shit" threshold than with his other kiddos. It's going to escalate for sure.

Yep. This is what I'm thinking. Jaime is the one he loves the most, but there is going to be much more friction to come.

Archived