Solutions to GRRM and the TV SHOW

Frey Kings

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/106946-new-martin-interview/

I didn't want to derail the thread or have it go offtopic...

GRRM said he has people to call up for references and some other plots details, "like what color hair and eyes does this house again?"

He could gather all those people up, get a prescription for adderall, and lock himself in a room to finish the writing.

Don't let the greed of a network ruin a perfectly good fantasy series. :(

So you're saying if I get GRRM's number, pretend I'm a HBO runner and call up and say "could you tell me how it ends? I need to know who to book trailers for in season 7" he will give out the info.

Seriously though they should just read the books, or the damn wiki, lazy gets.

So you're saying if I get GRRM's number, pretend I'm a HBO runner and call up and say "could you tell me how it ends? I need to know who to book trailers for in season 7" he will give out the info.

Seriously though they should just read the books, or the damn wiki, lazy gets.

I think you may have misread my post,

While reading the book series, GRRM has admitted in interviews he has people to call up and get details of XYZ in case he forgets.

Is your intention that these people would join in on the writing? Prodigious knowledge of ASOIAF does not necessarily mean this person or person(s) would be able to write ASOIAF with George. I do not want anyone but George writing these books.

Is your intention that these people would join in on the writing? Prodigious knowledge of ASOIAF does not necessarily mean this person or person(s) would be able to write ASOIAF with George. I do not want anyone but George writing these books.

Well how much does he know inside his head? The team should help get the things inside his head onto a piece of paper, thats it.

Agreed. Being able to remember extensive facts is very useful as a conusltant and possibly even as an editor, but it doesn't correlate to writing skill or the ability to mimic Martin's style.

I don't think HBO is being greedy. They approached him, he agreed, they've been working at the same steady pace since the beginning. I think GRRM just overestimated his abilities.

Yeah there's no need to blame HBO for the pace of the show, that can't really come as a surprise to anyone.

I dislike what they've done to certain characters, and certain deviations from the story annoy me (though I've only watched seasons 1 and 2).

But the fact that the show will probably overtake the books is a problem that comes from Martin's writing pace, nothing else. Which, I hasten to add, is his business, though as a book-fan I obviously have an opinion and deplore said fact. But I don't blame HBO for it.

As far as I'm concerned HBO has done a wonderful job with the adaptation. Consider how many fans would be turned away if the plot of the show was as complex as the plot of the books... A lot of fans are just in for Dany to reach Westeros, or for Arya and Sansa to do whatever it is that they will they can do.

El George got too ambitious with his workload, took on too many side projects, etc., etc... I don't even remember what this thread was about anymore.

I don't think HBO is being greedy. They approached him, he agreed, they've been working at the same steady pace since the beginning. I think GRRM just overestimated his abilities.

Corporate Greed

Its going to give the fans of the show what it wants, not the book readers. Of course the book readers cant live under a rock forever and will be exposed of what HBO has done. It will ruin GOT for the book readers whenever the books are done...5...10....15 years down the road.

GRRM is loving the limelight, Tolkien didn't get the chance to.

As far as I'm concerned HBO has done a wonderful job with the adaptation. Consider how many fans would be turned away if the plot of the show was as complex as the plot of the books... A lot of fans are just in for Dany to reach Westeros, or for Arya and Sansa to do whatever it is that they will they can do.

El George got too ambitious with his workload, took on too many side projects, etc., etc... I don't even remember what this thread was about anymore.

huh

the books arent that complex, if they were to build a show to copy it line by line, they probably have a bigger audience.

To me, this is a chicken and egg situation. I'm sure George could have figured out on his own, the start dates for each season, without having to do much guesswork - he knew how much time he had.

I hope for the readers' sakes, HBO DOES deviate from the books' storyline to make a new storyline. I don't want to hear about the ending from Facebook or CNN. As a reader I've vested a lot of time in waiting around for the ending because IMO, it's worth waiting on.

I don't think GRRM's time crunch is 100% because of the show. Not even 50% because of the show. He only writes one episode per season and has explicitly stated that D&D are pretty much the ones in charge (watch the interview from the other thread). So I cannot blame the show for that.

GRRM also said in the interview that he is "well into" book six. I'm happy to hear that TBH, and also happy to hear that he isn't giving too much of his time to the show, instead letting D&D have at it. Even at this point today, we still have two to three seasons before ADOS would air, and the book could easily come out while the ADOS-season is airing. So I'm not worrying yet.

To me, this is a chicken and egg situation. I'm sure George could have figured out on his own, the start dates for each season, without having to do much guesswork - he knew how much time he had.

I hope for the readers' sakes, HBO DOES deviate from the books' storyline to make a new storyline. I don't want to hear about the ending from Facebook or CNN. As a reader I've vested a lot of time in waiting around for the ending because IMO, it's worth waiting on.

I don't think GRRM's time crunch is 100% because of the show. Not even 50% because of the show. He only writes one episode per season and has explicitly stated that D&D are pretty much the ones in charge (watch the interview from the other thread). So I cannot blame the show for that.

GRRM also said in the interview that he is "well into" book six. I'm happy to hear that TBH, and also happy to hear that he isn't giving too much of his time to the show, instead letting D&D have at it. Even at this point today, we still have two to three seasons before ADOS would air, and the book could easily come out while the ADOS-season is airing. So I'm not worrying yet.

start worrying because he made promises before AND also fountain of youth and clean bill of health isnt on his side

Archived