New Martin interview

rumple9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26923282

Martin interview today - says the tv shows are going faster than he can write, as he doesn't have time to write the books, HBO has control over the story and it is inevitable that we will end up with 2 different versions of the franchise (i.e the tv series will finish first and will be different to what he writes in the books)

I really doubt things are as bad as everyone makes them to be. He'll probably have the next book ready by 2015, with Season 5, which is AFFC and ADWD. Only Seasons 6 and 7 might go beyond the books, and even then, he has told the two writers everything about how the story ends, so it'll be as close to the books as it is now. Nothing changes story-wise, really, that hasn't been changed before.

I really doubt things are as bad as everyone makes them to be. He'll probably have the next book ready by 2015, with Season 5, which is AFFC and ADWD. Only Seasons 6 and 7 might go beyond the books, and even then, he has told the two writers everything about how the story ends, so it'll be as close to the books as it is now. Nothing changes story-wise, really, that hasn't been changed before.

except for book fans who get spoiled watching the show

Also, D&D said in an interview that they know the general ending (as Martin intends it) and it's very satisfying. So if they find it satisfying, they won't change it that much. Agreed, things are not as bad, except for if the show finishes before the books, we will have to isolate ourselves in bounkers to avoid getting spoiled.

This - perhaps the details of how we get to the end will be varied from the books. However, the ending will still be the same as GRRM has already told them how it will end. Also, GRRM writes for the show so at least we'll have his episodes for the remaining seasons.

I really doubt things are as bad as everyone makes them to be. He'll probably have the next book ready by 2015, with Season 5, which is AFFC and ADWD.

Theon's role in the next season suggests the show is even closer.

I'm predicting that since the TV show is essentially a fan fiction (the irony), they will make several more episodes in the interim and eventually entire seasons of content that have nothing to do with the books. There is no way they are going to leave a show while it is this hot. They will milk it until its utter rips off. And given that the TV show fans seem unaware of how different the show is, it could be a decade before they realize the show is being dragged on. The problem is the TV show writers suck and even mess up entire characters and plots that were fine the way they were, but no one seems to mind how cliché the Robb and Dany stories are.

Theon's role in the next season suggests the show is even closer.

I'm predicting that since the TV show is essentially a fan fiction (the irony), they will make several more episodes in the interim and eventually entire seasons of content that have nothing to do with the books. There is no way they are going to leave a show while it is this hot. They will milk it until its utter rips off. And given that the TV show fans seem unaware of how different the show is, it could be a decade before they realize the show is being dragged on. The problem is the TV show writers suck and even mess up entire characters and plots that were fine the way they were, but no one seems to mind how cliché the Robb and Dany stories are.

HBO seems to have an unwritten rule that shows never go beyond 8 seasons though.

Also, D&D said in an interview that they know the general ending (as Martin intends it) and it's very satisfying. So if they find it satisfying, they won't change it that much. Agreed, things are not as bad, except for if the show finishes before the books, we will have to isolate ourselves in bounkers to avoid getting spoiled.

Precisely. I don't know if the show will conclude things EXACTLY the way Martin would have, but I think they'll get the general broad strokes right and we'll learn the fates of all our favorite main characters at least.

we all kinda knew that would be the case, that the outcome would be the same but the journey different

Great. Now HBO gets to make their Queen Dragon Jesus the unconditional leader of Westeros and Essos and the wayward show-only fans will assume it's the true ending.

This was is my biggest fear. As I would hate for the ending to be different as the their Khaleesi ruling the world

Archived