A Balanced Review of Show Stannis [Book Spoilers]

But the TV Stannis obviously shows compassion for his daughter, which is not visible in the books.

He is an ends justify the means guy as stated upthread. He is constantly being denied of his goal so each time he is being seduced to new lows (in terms of atrocities). Any one can see where this path is leading.

In my world view, ends justify the means guys are the ultimate evils. That is why I admire Ned of not spilling the blood of the children although it costed his head.

Every single character besides Ned Stark have a the ends justify mean logic.

Whats the difference between burning a traitor to get good winds or to send all your infantery as bait to Tywin Lannister in a battle they cant win?

Every single character besides Ned Stark have a the ends justify mean logic.

Whats the difference between burning a traitor to get good winds or to send all your infantery as bait to Tywin Lannister in a battle they cant win?

Which battle was that?

Melisandre had spent the night in her chair by the fire, as she often did. With Stannis gone, her bed saw little use.

Here is your overly lawful Stannis. Constantly cheating his wife....

You sure about that?

Yes, we know he's sleeping with Mel, but it's only cheating on his wife if Seylse doesn't know about it and support it.

And knowing Seylse she probably allows it seeing as she worships Mel and R'hllor.

Also there are hints that Mel might be drugging Stannis in order to inspire lust. Although I hope she isn't.

Also there are hints that Mel might be drugging Stannis in order to inspire lust. Although I hope she isn't.

what hints? she doesn't do that when she propositions davos or jon. why are you saying she did it to stannis?

Mockingbird is Littlefinger's sigil so unlikely.

He should've died last season. I don't know what the hell they're doing with that plotline.

Well, if they're holding it back for later in the season, it would seem to indicate that they plan on introducing Euron and/or Victarion (I think Aeron's a goner), and want the fact that the Iron Islands has lot its king 'fresh' in the mind of the audience (being a relative term, since they wouldn't be introduced until the fifth season).

And since I can't come up with any good reason to delay it beyond that, I'd assume that they're simply re-organizing events in order to better accommodate the narrative of a ten episode, serialized television show.

Mockingbird is Littlefinger's sigil so unlikely.

He should've died last season. I don't know what the hell they're doing with that plotline.

Well, if they're holding it back for later in the season, it would seem to indicate that they plan on introducing Euron and/or Victarion (I think Aeron's a goner), and want the fact that the Iron Islands has lot its king 'fresh' in the mind of the audience (being a relative term, since they wouldn't be introduced until the fifth season).

And since I can't come up with any good reason to delay it beyond that, I'd assume that they're simply re-organizing events in order to better accommodate the narrative of a ten episode, serialized television show.

Someone was tossing the idea that they havent killed off Balon yet because then that wouldve made Mel's magic seem too real, and given that they wanted Joffs death to be a "shocker" it kinda might give it away.

does that make sense? im not very good with words

what hints? she doesn't do that when she propositions davos or jon. why are you saying she did it to stannis?

Hints. But doesn't mean it's true. Also Davos and Jon don't generally hang around with Mel all that much like Stannis does.

And Mel mentions having potions that inspire lust in men in her one chapter.

(Note: I always figured Renly, Robert and Stannis were homosexual, heterosexual and asexual respectively.)

You sure about that?

Yes, we know he's sleeping with Mel, but it's only cheating on his wife if Seylse doesn't know about it and support it.

And knowing Seylse she probably allows it seeing as she worships Mel and R'hllor.

the problem is not his cheating. its his pretending that he is SO just and law abiding.

what would happen if he finds a lord or a knight in his command cheating?

this is the guy who abolished prostitution. where is the punishment for his crimes ?

i have never seen a quote to suggest that mel is drugging anybody...

the problem is not his cheating. its his pretending that he is SO just and law abiding.

what would happen if he finds a lord or a knight in his command cheating?

this is the guy who abolished prostitution. where is the punishment for his crimes ?

i have never seen a quote to suggest that mel is drugging anybody...

Cheating isnt illegal, merely immoral. He cant punish people for crimes when they arent crimes, hence our outrage at show Stannis' burnings.

Or maybe the Iron Bank will proposition Stannis to attack King's Landing...? Would make sense, considering Tyrion has already mentioned how the Iron Bank would fund the enemies of the throne should the various loans default. Maybe the scene with Tycho will be framed in such a way that it ends ambiguously, and we don't know which path Stannis will choose (until he shows up at the Wall, of course).

I find this idea very appealing. If we'll see such a "KL or Wall? How will he decide?" scene, I'm expecting:

1. his arrival will be a wonderful great surprise for the Unsullied, much more greater than I assumed after ep. 3.10.

2. we'll hear his "... he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said..." speech to Jon.

"Attackting KL or saving the Wall?" would be such an exactly "Trying to win the throne to save the kingdom VS. trying to save the kingdom to win the throne" situation, it would fit perfectly together!

I find this idea very appealing. If we'll see such a "KL or Wall? How will he decide?" scene, I'm expecting:

1. his arrival will be a wonderful great surprise for the Unsullied, much more greater than I assumed after ep. 3.10.

2. we'll hear his "... he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said..." speech to Jon.

"Attackting KL or saving the Wall?" would be such an exactly "Trying to win the throne to save the kingdom VS. trying to save the kingdom to win the throne" situation, it would fit perfectly together!

Fuck, this is getting my excited but I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I don't want to get disappointed again. lol. The more I think about how they've developed Jaime's character after the murder of his cousin, the more I think maybe Stannis isn't too far gone to be salvaged by his scenes up north, provided they don't change the context of events in such a way that portray him in a completely evil light. I'm worried about this rumor that Mance and Jon might reach an amicable agreement just when Stannis shows up and ruins everything, possibly even slaughtering lots of innocent wildings while the Nightwatch kills the cannibals. I'm going to reserve judgment until we reach the end of this season though. A lot of us give a more generous reading for his earlier character arcs specifically because he develops into such a badass when he goes up north, so who knows. Even though none of us Stan fans are pleased with the changes, a part of me is hopeful that maybe the anti-hero we all want to see might actually make his debut at the end of this season.

I'm worried about this rumor that Mance and Jon might reach an amicable agreement just when Stannis shows up and ruins everything, possibly even slaughtering lots of innocent wildings while the Nightwatch kills the cannibals.

Yeah, I read that same rumor, too. It was from the same source that posted the alternate version of Tywin's introduction...

http://cdn.gifbay.com/2013/04/charles_dance_from_game_of_thrones_with_no_makeup_on-42895.gif

From the behind the scenes commentary of D&D on the episode it looks as if they are still going with the Stannis the Fanatic image, which really frustrates me. I really hope that they are going to make him more badass and make his arc similar to that of Jaime as in going from unsympathetic to more sympathetic. But my hopes are almost gone.

@The Onion Sleight

Leaving it ambiguous would be really awesome and would add to the surprise when he appears at the wall and all you hear is STANNIS! STANNIS! STANNIS!

Edit: Ugh hope is lost once again!

Archived