How well will the Unsullied do in Westeros?

Caezaire

Meh, it is so blatant, that most of the people here had come into contact with hand-to-hand cold weapon combat only in total war games series. :D

I am so sorry for ever entering this thread :D </Unfollow> :D

Advice:

- stop thinking of one unit as so and so many of some other unit

- stop thinking about units as sets of numbers, they are men of flesh and bone. there is more to a warrior than his attack and defense number

- too many comments about how eunuchs look from people who probably never met one

- also please remember this is a fantasy series. Real dragons do not spit fire, do not have giant claws, do not eat men, do not fly. Real dragons do not exist. Neither do legions of eunuch warriors

I could go on, no point there. Enjoy the discussion :D

Meh, it is so blatant, that most of the people here had come into contact with hand-to-hand cold weapon combat only in total war games series. :D

Advice:

- stop thinking about units as sets of numbers, they are men of flesh and bone. there is more to a warrior than his attack and defense number

- too many comments about how eunuchs look from people who probably never met one

- also please remember this is a fantasy series. Real dragons do not spit fire, do not have giant claws, do not eat men, do not fly. Real dragons do not exist. Neither do legions of eunuch warriors

Thank you for the insults, but here is the thing: the only thing we have shown are facts.

The unsullied are near robot in combat, they have been created by the writer in that way.

We have been given Text how Eunuchs look, if want to google them, then google.

Talk about really people then fall into the " this is fantasy" defense, smooth. :cool4:

Advice:

exactly

Advice:

• Who was doing this?

Men are statistics. Who was trying to set their attack and defense numbers?

Please, educate us about the many eunuchs you've met and their physical capabilities.

I agree that the Westerosi fighting style is superior to that of the Unsullied, but indifference to pain, unparalleled bravery and unwavering loyalty are huge advantages to the Unsullied, not to mention an entire lifetime spent fighting with the same weapons. Naturally if the armies of Westeros bring cavalry and archers then Daenerys stands no chance but infantry vs infantry I have to give it to the Unsullied.

I agree that the Westerosi fighting style is superior to that of the Unsullied, but indifference to pain, unparalleled bravery and unwavering loyalty are huge advantages to the Unsullied, not to mention an entire lifetime spent fighting with the same weapons. Naturally if the armies of Westeros bring cavalry and archers then Daenerys stands no chance but infantry vs infantry I have to give it to the Unsullied.

The westerosi infantry can easily flank them, their longswords outreach the unsullied short swords, and as to their inhuman traits, that only serves to make it harder to know when they are losing a duel.

Keep in mind how essential "breaking" is to Westerosi warfare (as in, killing a portion of the enemy and sending the rest running). An enemy Host that refuses to break, whose individual members will stand and fight no matter what, could make quite a difference.

Keep in mind how essential "breaking" is to Westerosi warfare (as in, killing a portion of the enemy and sending the rest running). An enemy Host that refuses to break, whose individual members will stand and fight no matter what, could make quite a difference.

It is not essential, just practical, a host that doesn't know when to pull out only means they will can all fall for the same trick at once.

I will attempt, for the sake of my fellow posters, to try and make sense of this clown post.

I am sure you have extensive knowledge of hand to hand combat and all manner of medieval weaponry. Unfortunately that knowledge doesnt really come across in your post, since its pretty nonsensical. I have never played total war, seen videos of it, but its not my kind of game. Anyway You can tell from the way im skilfully brandishing longlcaw in my av that im really good with this sort of thing, so moving on.

Yes, I too am sorry you ever entered this thread.

Advice:

what? Im not sure what this even means, but who did this? Can you site a post?

Again, what? No idea what you are referring to here. Obviously though the amount of men in a unit is important.

I have never met a eunich. Not sure why the fuck that matters though. Science is science. It is a fact that if you don't have balls you don't produce testosterone, no testosterone means no muscle. So basically unsullied will be even weaker then female warriors, and there arent many female warriors to begin with, theres a reason for that. In close combat, size, and weight are important. Even if your fighting in formation. When two bodies of warriors come together with pole weapons, the side with the bigger people on average has an advantage.

I agree with this much.

Yeah, I agree with this too.

Infantry vs infantry the unsullied still lose. Fully intact men with armor>>>>>>>>>>eunichs with lots of training. Basically this(refers to bolded)

His uncle would lead the center. Ser kevan had raised his standerds above the kingsroad. Quivers hanging from their belts, the foot archers arrayed themselves into three long lines to east and west of the road, and stood calmly stringing their bows. Between them pikemen formed squares, behind were rank on rank of men at arms with spear and sword and axe. Three hundred heavy horse surrounded ser kevan and the lords bannermen lefford, lydden and serrett with all their sworn retainers. The right wing was all cavalry, some four thousand men, heavy with the weight of their armor. More then three quarters of the knights were there massed together like a great steel fist. Ser adam Marbrand had the command. Tyrion saw his banner unfurl as his standerd bearer shook it out, a burning tree, arange and smoke. Behind him flew ser flements purple unicorn the brindled boar of crakehall the bantam rooster of swyft, and more. His lord father took place on the hill where he had slept. Around him the resrve assembled, a huge force half mounted and half foot, five thousand strong. Lord tywin almost always chose to command the reserve...

Were the right was a mailed fist of knights and heavy lances the vanguard was made up of the sweepings of the west: mounted archers in leather jerkins, a swarming mass of undisciplined freeriders and sellswords, fieldhands on plow horses armed with scythes and their fathers rusted swords half trained boys from the stews of lannisport, and tyrion and his mountain clansmen.

Beats the unsullied on its own.

Indifference to pain will only get you killed quicker.

Yeah im really not sure why people think this "hruuur they dont feel pain!" thing is such an advantage. Just because you don't FEEL it doesn't mean you aren't getting hurt. If I shove a poleaxe through your gut and you don't feel it does that mean your internal organs are ok? If you cut my arm off with a sword and I dont feel it does that mean I still have my arm? Does immunity to pain also grant you immunity to disease? (the answer is no, no it does not)

Advice:

I for one prefer hot weapons. Its rainy outside and still pretty cold. Outside :D of that I think as the OP I think its :D important to consider what units are fighting because joe :D the peasant choosing a spear from the armory isn't that :D important to the battle.

I agree that the Westerosi fighting style is superior to that of the Unsullied, but indifference to pain, unparalleled bravery and unwavering loyalty are huge advantages to the Unsullied, not to mention an entire lifetime spent fighting with the same weapons.

Indifference to pain - Not a huge advantage, as any blow that would put a man who does feel pain out, will do the same with one who does not. He'll just moan less as he dies, I'd imagine. It might enable a certain amount to go on fighting despite wounds, at least for a short period of time, until they are disabled by them, though.

Bravery - Not really worth much without adequate equipment. The japanese showed bravery in spades when charging americans with swords in their Banzai charges during WWII. It didn't help them not get killed.

Loyalty - Not really an issue on the field.

Entire lifetime spent training - Most Westerosi infantry has this too. The unwashed mass of peasants with pitchforks is not a trope GRRM seems to peddle, thankfully.

Indifference to pain - Not a huge advantage, as any blow that would put a man who does feel pain out, will do the same with one who does not. He'll just moan less as he dies, I'd imagine. It might enable a certain amount to go on fighting despite wounds, at least for a short period of time, until they are disabled by them, though.

Bravery - Not really worth much without adequate equipment. The japanese showed bravery in spades when charging americans with swords in their Banzai charges during WWII. It didn't help them not get killed.

Loyalty - Not really an issue on the field.

Entire lifetime spent training - Most Westerosi infantry has this too. The unwashed mass of peasants with pitchforks is not a trope GRRM seems to peddle, thankfully.

To be honest every male of age in Westeros should battle harden, the penny war, Greyjoy's uprising, RR, WOFK, all should have harden westerosi men in skill.

This.

Also, many people here seem to be assuming that most Westerosi commanders will know all about the Unsullied and adopt the best possible tactics for beating them. I doubt that's the case

If I were Daenerys, I'd use them mostly as guards and for storming/defending castles. They can be used in pitched battles if you use them right, but shouldn't be the main fighting foce.

This.

Also, many people here seem to be assuming that most Westerosi commanders will know all about the Unsullied and adopt the best possible tactics for beating them. I doubt that's the case

If I were Daenerys, I'd use them mostly as guards and for storming/defending castles. They can be used in pitched battles if you use them right, but shouldn't be the main fighting foce.

Westerosi lords have maesters who has studied Essosi their entire life. By the way unsullied weakness is a common strike point, hit the flank.

Archived