Jon Snow, Jon Stark, or Jon Targaryen

Jonrice68

If he declares himself a Targ, and Young Griff also goes public, who would be heir?

Aegon was heir apparent. Having a younger brother born doesn't change that. Other than dying* or losing qualifications**, the only thing that can change that is his father explicitly designating a new heir.

So, did Rhaegar name Jon as his heir? If so, Jon is the heir. If not, Aegon is.

However, it's worth nothing that even if Rhaegar did name Jon as his heir, the two biggest civil wars in Targaryen history were caused by cases exactly like this—and, in both cases, there was a lot more evidence for the new heir than just "Rhaegar made his 3 Kingsguard knights swear fealty to his unborn new heir, at least according to Howland Reed, who heard it from Ned, who heard it from Lyanna on her deathbed, who heard it from Rhaegar, who may have mistakenly believed at the time that Aegon was dead or at least nearly guaranteed to die. And sorry, you can't ask anyone who was actually there because Robert killed Rhaegar, Ned killed the KG knights, Lyanna died shortly after childbirth, and Ned was killed by Joffrey." So, there would be plenty of precedent and justification for Aegon to deny or ignore Jon's claim.

* If—as seems likely—Aegon is dead and Little Griff is someone else, the fact that Aegon's inheritance is void is really the least of his problems…

** In modern England, you can breach qualifications by converting to Catholicism or marrying a foreigner without crown permission or a few similar things; in medieval England it was things like swearing allegiance to the House of Capet. I don't know what the rules are in the Seven Kingdoms, but I'm guessing Aegon hasn't broken them.

Whatever his true lineage turns out to be I think Jon will always refer to himself as a Snow His bastardy has been such a defining part of him for so long, and on that he's finally started to really embrace that. He had the oppurtunity to become a Stark from Stannis, but ultimately turned it down. Granted there were many factors that led to his refusal. If he turns out to be a Targ I think he'll reject that as well. Jon is very Night's Watch oriented, and personally imo nothing is going to keep him from is vows not Winterfell, not a dragon, not the Iron Throne. But we will all just have to wait and see.

I do believe though, that L+R=J. Targ ftw!

Good Post,

I think you nailed his character really well, I believe he has grown incredibly from the sulky boy who was resentful of being bastard born, he has taken on all the criticism's he has been given by Tyrion, Maester Aemon, LC Mormont & even Sam & his friends. He's now making decisions by himself & they are not always popular but he's found his own sense of purpose & acted with honour turning down Stannis's offer or Winterfell.

So, there would be plenty of precedent and justification for Aegon to deny or ignore Jon's claim.

:agree:

Also would Aegon even believe something so ridiculous when there's no proof except the word of a Reed? He's most likely going to execute Jon for treason.

If as seems likely Aegon is dead and Little Griff is someone else, the fact that Aegon's inheritance is void is really the least of his problems

But what proof would they have to show Aegon's a pretender? I think Varys tied up all the loose ends ages ago, and tbh supporting Aegon (fake or not) is in the better interests of most.

LF's plan is to marry her to Harry, if it works she gets the Vale

If it works Harry gets the Vale. That plan is based on quite a few ifs too. If Harry wants to marry her. If no one finds out that they killed SR. If she can control Harry. And either way, I doubt they'll march North during Winter.

If it works Harry get's the Vale. That plan is based on quite a few ifs too. If Harry wants to marry her. If no one finds out that they killed SR. If she can control Harry. And either way, I doubt they'll march North during Winter.

:dunno:

Littlefinger seems pretty confident

Yet Petyr loves the speak the language of intrigue. Nothing he says can be taken at face value. Every conversation for him is a dance of the tongue of politics.

Tyrion wasn't wrong when he thought see eunuch I speak the same language as you do, I'm not Ned Stark. So if Littlefinger said look over hear and gave a very detail reason for why he's doing what he's doing, you had best believe there are some major loop poles in what ever he's cooking up.

That he's playing a very clever but dangerous game of misdirection.

Targ for me.

I think he will end up "King in the North" while Dany rules the rest of Westeros. I think his 'death' will release him from his vows to the NW.

There are 3 heads of the Dragon and if Aegon is real then he's the 3rd but I guess at least Jon has to be one of them. I bet just as Westeros is conquered then the Others will turn up and attack the wall and the real song of Ice and Fire will begin.

Archived