So Craster and his wives repopulated the Others

Wmarshal

Doesn't it feel weird? There is strong possibility Sam killed Gilly's brother. I can't rap my mind around that Craster, a idiot savage, is father of the world's greatest threats. How do you guys feel?

How many babies Craster could have given to the Others?

He had 19 wives. If he starts to procreate with them when they're in age of having children, that means about 30 years of children. Also, probably half of them are girls, which he keeps.

ETA: and he didn't star with 19 wives, probably five or six.

I don't think he's the only one that does it. It seems some other wildlings villages may be doing it too. Villages probably trade with each other and the practice of sacrificing male babies for protection could spread around.

Tormund. Nope.

V6s. Nope.

Thenns. Nope.

Mance. Nope.

So it would appear that of characters we know about, only craster sacrifices.

That's significant in and if itself.

How many babies Craster could have given to the Others?

He had 19 wives. If he starts to procreate with them when they're in age of having children, that means about 30 years of children. Also, probably half of them are girls, which he keeps.

ETA: and he didn't star with 19 wives, probably five or six.

In the show before the mutiny, Craster said he had 99 sons. Last night episode was his last kid. 100 male boys he gave to them.

As I said before though, the Others could have been slaughtering wildling villages and taking their infant sons. It may not even have to be infant though. Maybe just male before he hits puberty.

I don't think he's the only one that does it. It seems some other wildlings villages may be doing it too. Villages probably trade with each other and the practice of sacrificing male babies for protection could spread around.

Yeah, they mention it several times as being one the 'old practices' or something. There must be lots of wildlings who sacrifice children that way.

In addition to sacrifices some sex with Others might also work. And their women lay with the Others during the Long Night to sire terrible half-human children. as Old Nan said.

Hmmm... yea, maybe Craster is some sort of descendent of the Night's King? Not sure if this has been discussed or not..

It's a bit of a stretch to think the majority of The Others' population has now stemmed from Craster. A small percentage sure. We don't know exactly how big their army is at this point, but with 19 wives that means Craster's had 19 girls (maybe a bit more, some may have died or left I can't remember) so playing the percentages it's logical to think he's had around 20-30 boys to give.

I think it's more of a case of showing that there is a functioning, intelligent, and fair-minded brain in The Others and not just the typical "kill! destroy!" type creatures. They've managed to work out a deal that helps their cause in exchange for Craster knowing he can (or could have) rest easy while this impending war bypasses him.

Edit: Hmm JBlaze you could be right I do vaguely remember last season Craster said the latest child was number 99. Ah well, in any case, Craster's boys are only a very small piece of the Other Army.

It's a bit of a stretch to think the majority of The Others' population has now stemmed from Craster. A small percentage sure. We don't know exactly how big their army is at this point, but with 19 wives that means Craster's had 19 girls (maybe a bit more, some may have died or left I can't remember) so playing the percentages it's logical to think he's had around 20-30 boys to give.

I think it's more of a case of showing that there is a functioning, intelligent, and fair-minded brain in The Others and not just the typical "kill! destroy!" type creatures. They've managed to work out a deal that helps their cause in exchange for Craster knowing he can (or could have) rest easy while this impending war bypasses him.

Well I heard a poster mention he said he had 100 sons.

Granted I say this without really knowing other children have been taken and/or sacrificed. If a dozen other villages are doing it and the Others are taking male children indiscriminately, then obviously it's not much of an issue.

But my takeaway is really, why this guy and why these kids? How did this arrangement even come to pass in the first place? Was it negotiated? Did Craster leave a baby out to die just to get rid of it and catch an Other hauling it off? It all makes me think that there is something significant about Craster and his line specifically, whether they're Starks or Boltons or what have you.

Also, I'm going to be That Guy and point out that the Watch turned a blind eye to what Craster was doing in the name of neutrality and non-interference. In doing so, as a direct result of their adherence to neutrality, their enemy got stronger. If ever the "neutrality is the entire point" argument took a fatal hit, let this be it.

Also, I'm going to be That Guy and point out that the Watch turned a blind eye to what Craster was doing in the name of neutrality and non-interference. In doing so, as a direct result of their adherence to neutrality, their enemy got stronger. If ever the "neutrality is the entire point" argument took a fatal hit, let this be it.

Jeor also argued that Craster's Keep had meant the difference between life and death for a number of stranded rangers over the years. Though I suppose that might just have been a rationalization for his and Jon's benefit (or detriment as the case may turn out to be).

Jeor also argued that Craster's Keep had meant the difference between life and death for a number of stranded rangers over the years. Though I suppose that might just have been a rationalization for his and Jon's benefit (or detriment as the case may turn out to be).

True. But as you said, it reeks of rationalization. And to be brutally efficient, I'm not sure that a ranger's life is worth creating new Others.

Archived