Star Wars: Episode VII: A New Hopedawn's Empire Strikes Jedi in the Sith

Werthead

I have more of an issue with them trying to give him a name at all than I do with Sheev in particular (which really isn't THAT bad, it's just bland and un-creative). Virtually any name they came up with would have seemed weird at this point, I think.

Apparently this was actually thought of by Lucas himself as well, and by his standards it's actually pretty good merely by not being aggressively stupid. This is the guy that suggested names like Darth Icky and Darth Insanius with a straight-face.

I have more of an issue with them trying to give him a name at all than I do with Sheev in particular (which really isn't THAT bad, it's just bland and un-creative). Virtually any name they came up with would have seemed weird at this point, I think.

Apparently this was actually thought of by Lucas himself as well, and by his standards it's actually pretty good merely by not being aggressively stupid. This is the guy that suggested names like Darth Icky and Darth Insanius with a straight-face.

Wasn't the Emperor, before he became Palpatine, originally named Cos Dashit in the initial drafts of the script? Hard to beat that.

Cos Im Dashit

And Darth Icky? I refuse to believe Lucas was being serious with that one.

It's certainly possible, but that's not how it was reported. This is the article explaining the situation.

A similar situation arose with Star Wars: The Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. “[That name] was only supposed to be a nickname or call sign, not a proper name from the beginning,” a former LucasArts employee says. The development team hoped that Lucas would give Vader’s apprentice a Darth moniker, which at the time, was something that didn’t happen often.

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”

He could have been messing with them, but then again this is the guy who came up with Darth Sidious and General Grievous.

Archived