First of what name?(BOOK SPOILERS)

I appreciated that during the coronation they simply called him Tommen of the House Baratheon, first of his name

what the hell is a "Joffrey of the Houses Lannister and Baratheon"?

An interesting choice there...using both is equally correct/incorrect for Tommen as for Joffrey, so one of them is a breach of protocol. And a pretty serious one, given the subject and setting. Obviously the norm would be that Cersei would abandon Lannister and take Baretheon, but she hasn't really done that. Recall that Prince Joff had quartered his arms Baretheon and Lannister...that is obviously Cersei's doing or influence.

It seems likely that Joffrey, "hungry for honors," added "and Lannister" over the objections of the protocol people and Cersei didn't stop it. If Tywin even knew, he didn't stop it either, he's hungry for Lannister honor, too. The wedding choices certainly played up House Lannister, though much of that was probably Cersei.

I appreciated that during the coronation they simply called him Tommen of the House Baratheon, first of his name

what the hell is a "Joffrey of the Houses Lannister and Baratheon"?

My take is Lannister-Baratheon was a apex of power and arrogance proclaimation.

Now that their position is weaker they need to go back to the claim that Baratheon gives them.

My understanding is that only kings/queens are given titles which include "First of His/Her Name."

Just parenthetically, other episodes, too, have been titled in reference to a specific event/character; however they have, as do all episodes, consist of multiple events/characters of focus, e.g., "Mhysa".

Archived