The Good Wife 2: The Good Fight Season 2

Mladen

A spin-off would be awful.  None of these characters can carry a show as the principal.  And there is always a principal, as we see with Sex and the City: 4 women, four individual arcs, held together by their friendship, but in the end Sex and the City was Carrie Bradshaw.  She always got the first and last words.

Additionally all the writing work that would need to be done by new writers, and new team -- just start a new show with new characters, new location, new stories, new actors.  It would be easier.  And less expensive too.

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A spin-off would be awful.  None of these characters can carry a show as the principal.  And there is always a principal, as we see with Sex and the City: 4 women, four individual arcs, held together by their friendship, but in the end Sex and the City was Carrie Bradshaw.  She always got the first and last words.

Yeah, Joey taught us that lesson. But, if the spin-off is indeed happening (I really have no news about it), then they can make something. But, overall, I am not convinced in the prospects. Overall, they can make it, I suppose they have the materials - Eli in a new campaign or Diane struggling with new firm. With appropriate cast, it can work. But, yeah, Alicia is undeniable lead. And what is the better proof for that than poor Kalinda's exit :)

Of course the material is there. The key is deciding on what one wants to do with a spin off.  The first key being that any new show isn't trying to continue the specifics of its parent show. 

There are plenty of examples of successful spin offs.  The point being that The Good Wife is a show that has, while telling Alicia's story, has created a full universe of other characters who are, or have the potential to be, compelling as well.

In a way, TGW spin off would work even better than let's say Sex and the City spin off or Friends spin off etc, because the supporting characters, or at least some of them, are quite independent of Alicia's main story. Diane would be Diane, with or without Alicia. Eli, although joint at hip with Alicia this season, was also quite independent and his political machinations were always interesting aspect of the story. If someone wants to consider it carefully and do a serious work, yeah, it can be good. But, I also agree that if the things are not sorted out and the new spin-off is just "TGW sans Alicia", that would be total disaster.

The best actors in the Alicia universe, starting with Alan Cummings, has more than enough of what it takes to be the star of his own show. Why tie himself up with a spin-off?  He's got so many offers for theater jobs too. Archie Panjabi has many television roles at least in the UK, where she lives (including the highly praised Shetland) and has a movie released this year.

If I were in that cast I'd really really really want to move on into very different roles, just as Panjabi has.  Surely Czuchry must want this most of all!  He's shriveling on TGW.

Did anyone feel sorry for

Spoiler

the little creep who spies on Alicia -- even her sex life -- getting busted?  Though what is the reason for this spying anyway -- if somebody can tell me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Did anyone feel sorry for

Hide contents

the little creep who spies on Alicia -- even her sex life -- getting busted?  Though what is the reason for this spying anyway -- if somebody can tell me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks.

Spoiler

She was on a case defending their IT guy when she tangentially mentioned one of the names that are considered threats. That is why she was put under surveillance again.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I didn't. Creeper gets what he deserves.

Spoiler

Yeah, I suppose you are right. But, it wasn't like he was stalking her, although they did show incredible interest in her life.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Especially the parts that were neither his or anybody else's business, and weren't the mission.  Moreover he blabbed about it all to his mates. Total bro creep.

Spoiler

I do admit that entire thing can be seen as creepy and I personally wouldn't want anyone doing that to me. But, I think that creep factor is significantly diminished by the context of their prying. I mean, they see Alicia as some sort of "Chicago Desperate Housewife", a celebrity and I think that this is more in line with how watchers and fans behave with regard to object of their fascination. It almost seems as Alicia's life is soap opera for them. The entire investment is just another example of how far some people would go to satisfy the need to know about their object of interest.

At the end, it is just a step higher from good paparazzi. Although that big breach of privacy would make me seriously angry.

17 hours ago, Risto said:
  Hide contents

I do admit that entire thing can be seen as creepy and I personally wouldn't want anyone doing that to me. But, I think that creep factor is significantly diminished by the context of their prying. I mean, they see Alicia as some sort of "Chicago Desperate Housewife", a celebrity and I think that this is more in line with how watchers and fans behave with regard to object of their fascination. It almost seems as Alicia's life is soap opera for them. The entire investment is just another example of how far some people would go to satisfy the need to know about their object of interest.

At the end, it is just a step higher from good paparazzi. Although that big breach of privacy would make me seriously angry.

Still wrong, creepy and inexcusable.  Hope he goes to prison.

Objectively, if he (and she) were real people - major creep. Go to jail, definitely. I think the way the show uses them is a little ironic, fourth wall breaking though. "Bla bla, lawyer stuff. Oh, hey, sex scene with...uh...what's his name. Hot." (Show's done it before 0 anyone remember Peter's grand jury where all this incredible personal drama with all the affairs and the betrayals is getting hashed out and the jury is like "uh, sorry, lost track. Who are we talking about again?")

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived