Why do so many people hate Melisandre?

hollowcrown

She is a religious fanatic with a crazy ideology. She burns those whom she believes to be infidels, so there is a similar mindset to terrorists. Also, there are little hints which lead you to believe that she is faking being a Red Priestess in order to prevent the prophecy of Azor Azai. The first is the Ruby that she wears around her neck. There is also a Ruby in the hilt of Stannis' sword. She could be using glamours to make herself appear like a young red priestess, and to make Stannis' sword look like Lightbringer.

The second thing is the shadow binding. This is the same magic that Mirri Maaz Duur was able to use. We have never seen Melisandre actually perform the kiss of life and revive anybody. And when she sees Thoros of Myr do it in the show, she acts like he shouldn't have that ability. Mirri Maaz Duur said that she studied her magic in Asshai, and Melisandre says the same. Also, we have never seen or heard of Red Priests also being able to do Shadowbinding, the same as we have never seen Melisandre heal anybody like they do.

Thirdly, she is clearly after Azor Azai and whatever agenda that she has for him, because for a while until they arrived at the wall, she thought Stannis was Azor Azai, or she at least claimed that. Now that she is either near the wall (huge source of magic), or near another candidate for Azor Azai (Jon Snow), she stays North while Stannis marches south. Her magical abilities also increased near the wall as well. Melisandre may actually be a Woods Witch like Mirri Maaz Duur that is just all glamoured up in an attempt to thwart the prophecy of Azor Azai and get close to him by way of being a Red Priest/Priestess. She may also be something different then a woods witch, and more like the creatures north of the wall. When her shadow stabs Renly, right before it happens, Renly mutters the word "cold", much like people do near the wall when the White Walkers come.

But isn't that the same with the red priests and Dany? I don't think many people think Dany is Azor Ahai, but Moqorro and the red priests do. I think they're just as misguided as Mel.

It can't be the same. Moqorro and his supporters haven't met Dany yet. He hasn't done all of the things Mel has done in the name of a false AA. It's what Mel has done in the service of Stannis (the false AA) that bothers me. Not just her supporting him.

Look at it this way: Dany wasn't seen as being AA until news spread she had three dragons. At least Benerro and his acolytes waited to see real evidence part of the prophecy had been fulfilled. Mel ran to Stannis and is trying to get him to do things that should naturally be occurring according to the prophecy. Moqorro and Mel might both be wrong in the end but so far Mel has done a lot of negative in her quest. Moqorro has just gotten started.

I watched the first couple of seasons of GOT then I read the books. When I was only a show watcher I couldn't stand her but reading the books made me feel very differently towards her. (Same thing about Jaime for me) My friend who watches the show but has not read the books doesn't like her either. In the books I was annoyed when she says she asks to see AA and her God only shows her snow. I was thinking ... duh! Why are you not getting it? Obviously your God wanted you to go to Stannis for him to lead you to and help the real AA. She misinterprets a lot of her visions.

^ this. Used to hate her, now have mixed feelings since I went from the show to the books. I think it's because she's so cryptic and seems "manipulative". In her POV chapter I really understood her a lot more. Foreign god that requires cryptic preachings, burns people and doesn't tolerate other gods? That's bad. But the other motives, like stopping the White Walkers? That's good.

In my eyes she is doing what she thinks she has to do in order to please her god. She is doing what she truly thinks is the right thing for her god and for the greater good of the world (defeating the others).

Except nothing she does serves the greater good and her notion of fighting the Others is completely BS.

Oberyn2lame4Westeros, I have never claimed that my Lady is working for the greater good, nor has she, and nor has she been "self-righteous." She is out for revenge, plain and simple. Melisandre is a deluded twat who thinks whatever she does in the name of her twat god is all fine and dandy, while rejecting and declaring war on other religions. Lady Stoneheart at least has real priorities, not misread visions.

I don't ever understand how could anyone think Melisandre is being written as a straight up villain tbh. Whether you like her or not that's down to personal taste, but this for instance:

Except nothing she does serves the greater good and her notion of fighting the Others is completely BS.

Why is it bullshit?

Oberyn2lame4Westeros, I have never claimed that my Lady is working for the greater good, nor has she, and nor has she been "self-righteous." She is out for revenge, plain and simple. Melisandre is a deluded twat who thinks whatever she does in the name of her twat god is all fine and dandy, while rejecting and declaring war on other religions. Lady Stoneheart at least has real priorities, not misread visions.

LSH is a disgrace and a tragic character, her "priorities" are completely misguided and all over the place though, otherwise she wouldn't be trying to kill Brienne (of all people!!) and Pod. And I say this as someone who has always liked Cat as a pov.

because Melisandre did not show up to fight the Others. She showed up to tout Stannis as her lord's chosen puppet. Davos made her change her stance.

Lady Stoneheart is definitely a tragic characters, but her priorities couldn't be more clear. They are appropriately guided and very focused. She is trying to kill Brienne and Pod because all the evidence points to them being guilty. Starting with her Lannister sword and Lannister note signed by a Lannister-controlled king with orders from the Lannister most famous for breaking oaths and travelling with a former Lannister squire. It would be stupid to trust Brienne on her word alone, and even then her word is flimsy. "Jaime has changed!" Why should anyone believe them? Stoneheart knows that Jaime threw her son out of the tower with the intent to murder him. She has no reason to believe he's changed (which he barely has, I might add.)

My Lady is carrying on the war her son fought and lost. She's also searching for her daughters, so yes, she definitely has real priorities.

Why is it bullshit?

I suggest you to catch up with Jon Snow Reread project in which the ADwD chapters of Jon are being discussed currently. His notion of survival in the upcoming Long Night and that of Mel and Stannis was discussed not so long ago. :cool4:

Archived