Why do so many people hate Melisandre?

hollowcrown

As a fellow worshipper of R'hllor, i was given the memo on her biography. It reads as follows:

We bought her out of lot 7, and immediately began the cleansing of her mind of all other beings and threw her in the direction of R'hllor. While she demonstrated shadowbinding abilities, these were abilities outside of R'hllor's light. We taught her how to focus her powers, and that even dark creatures, are just the reflection of R'hllor's light.

Melisandre has taken it upon herself to leave Volantis, to spread the word of R'hllor like her two other counterparts. While Thoros failed to reach Robert, his whereabouts are unknown. Moqorro, on the other hand, has reached the captain that will take him to the slave queen, and together we'll spread the fire of R'hllor to all who oppose us.

Melisandre reached the rightful King, and has successfully brought The Word to his armies. The relishings of R'hllor continue to spread, as she believes she has found the true Azor Ahai. Whether or not this King Stannis Baratheon truly is the one Azor Ahai, means little to us indeed. The Word continues to spread regardless.

Melisandre has come a long way, since her days a slave out of lot 7. It took a little work, but eventually Melisandre's forgotten most of where she came from, and lives exclusively for our Lord of Light.

Last time I checked worshippers of Satan aren't the ones that went around burning people throughout history. It is the Christian deity that burns people for eternity in hell (and his followers that burned people in this world).

Well, I have to admit you have a point there. In fact, it's one I could easily have made myself in any real-world discussion. :agree:

Melisandre makes me uncomfortable because of her religious pushing and fundamentalism. It leaves a nasty taste in my mouth and i actually had my jimmies put out of place when she made the wildlings burn the pieces of weirwood in order to cross the Wall. Just...not kosher with that~~ <.<

And how... If a person has ever been on the receiving end of that kind of thing, its just damn terrible. Ugaagh...

Melisandre the person doesnt bother me nearly as much. Shes deluded but her heart seems to be in the right place despite everything. She really wants to save the world and believes that R'hllor's way is the only way. I do think shes in for a rude awakening and that, that will happen. I think the way GRRM will have Mel brought down to where the reader can "get" her, is for her to be dealt with a huge slap in the face by reality.

Same. That instance rounds up all her religious fanaticism in a ball. A good heart (or at least, good intentions) doesn't justify the murder of those who aren't like you and in no way justifies the tearing down of one's culture.

While I understand her motives, I will never be able to cheer Mel on as a character, there are just far too many fundamental problems with supporting "the ends justify the means" type of thinking. I hope she gets slapped in the face with reality when it finally gets through her skull that she many have been misinterpreting her visions all along.

Also, Fire Eater, agree with everything. She forces her own interpretations of AA on Stannis, it makes me wonder why she is trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

Same. That instance rounds up all her religious fanaticism in a ball. A good heart (or at least, good intentions) doesn't justify the murder of those who aren't like you and in no way justifies the tearing down of one's culture.

While I understand her motives, I will never be able to cheer Mel on as a character, there are just far too many fundamental problems with supporting "the ends justify the means" type of thinking. I hope she gets slapped in the face with reality when it finally gets through her skull that she many have been misinterpreting her visions all along.

Also, Fire Eater, agree with everything. She forces her own interpretations of AA on Stannis, it makes me wonder why she is trying to fit a square peg into a circular hole.

her purpose is to spread the word of r'hllor. by allowing stannis the title azor ahai, not only does it spread positive reinforcement in her faith, but it also alligns r'hllor with the crown should stannis take the throne. it would instantly become the chosen faith and those who turn away from it blazfemur's and heretics.

her purpose is to spread the word of r'hllor. by allowing stannis the title azor ahai, not only does it spread positive reinforcement in her faith, but it also alligns r'hllor with the crown should stannis take the throne. it would instantly become the chosen faith and those who turn away from it blazfemur's and heretics.

I get it. From a political standpoint and all around strategy, its a good plan. The easiest way to spread a way of thinking (this case religion of R'hllor) is to get it to as many people as possible, via some way that will influence them greatly. The word of a King should easily do the trick. Honestly, if all Mel was doing was spreading the word door-to-door, all "yes, come hear about the benefits of the Lord of Light" I would be chill with it. My reasons for being uncomfortable with Mel come not from her purpose, but her tactics

I get it. From a political standpoint and all around strategy, its a good plan. The easiest way to spread a way of thinking (this case religion of R'hllor) is to get it to as many people as possible, via some way that will influence them greatly. The word of a King should easily do the trick. Honestly, if all Mel was doing was spreading the word door-to-door, all "yes, come hear about the benefits of the Lord of Light" I would be chill with it. My reasons for being uncomfortable with Mel come not from her purpose, but her tactics

at this point, stannis must win, and sacrificing those that believe in the old gods, and are even against kneeling, is definitely in the best interest of r'hllor

Mel mistakenly believes that she knows what will happen in the future and that she is working towards saving the world and she has no compunctions about doing whatever she thinks will help her reach her goals. Her POV chapter clearly shows her misinterpreting her visions and lets the readers see that, though she's powerful, she is definitely not infallible. She seems a bit bumbling to me, not to mention extremely intolerant of anybody who believes in anything other than R'hllor. I think she is really interesting and that she truly believes she is working on the side of light but I'm not sure she really is.

I think people hate her because she burns people just because they don't follow her religion and she releases evil shadow babies to murder people. Doesn't really seem like a good guy does she?

Media generally has pounded into people this perception that if you follow a moral path things will all work out in the end. And so Melisandre as the ultimate pragmatist in the series is counted as evil.

I can with two caveats

!. It is not me she is trying to burn alive

2.No shadow babies aimed to assassinate me

It also helps she is hot, If she looked like Selyse then not so much...

:lol: What an interesting way of looking at things. Someone should tell Jon that.

"Look, she's not trying to burn you alive, she's just trying to get into your pants. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Plus, she's a hotty. Aaaaand she's kissed by fire." :leer:

It's because in her chapter, she has an inner monologue with her thinking about how hard the visions are to interpret. Even she, the undoubted best seer (stated in the books) has times of doubt about what she has seen. So, people run with that and try and find a way to make her into a villain. Martin has said that Mel is the most mis-understood character in the books, I believe this is why. Remember ~ Haters Gonna Hate~

I personally, thought that her showing doubt gave her a sense of humility, and it increased her character value. And her pain during the burning of RS, shows her devotion to her cause and despite whether people like it or not, knows it's the "right" thing to do. Kinda like Jon letting the Wildlings beyond the wall (just to point out an obvious comparison)

It's because in her chapter, she has an inner monologue with her thinking about how hard the visions are to interpret. Even she, the undoubted best seer (stated in the books) has times of doubt about what she has seen. So, people run with that and try and find a way to make her into a villain. Martin has said that Mel is the most mis-understood character in the books, I believe this is why. Remember ~ Haters Gonna Hate~

I personally, thought that her showing doubt gave her a sense of humility, and it increased her character value. And her pain during the burning of RS, shows her devotion to her cause and despite whether people like it or not, knows it's the "right" thing to do. Kinda like Jon letting the Wildlings beyond the wall (just to point out an obvious comparison)

Yeah I agree that she has a sense of humility and although she might outwardly act as if she knows everything, she does actually have all these inner doubts which is really interesting.

I don't see Mel manipulating Stannis. Stannis would've gone for the throne anyway so it's not like she's led Stannis into a war.

Well put.

She's misguided but she does believe in her mission. I don't think she's evil, she's just blindly devoted to what she believes in.

I don't like her because I think she's wrong about Stannis, and wrong about Azor Ahai (or whatever the name is). I don't like that she killed Cressen. The burnings also bug me, but strangely, somewhat less than Cressen.

If she could explain her visions in a way that was more ambiguous and allowed for her own possible misinterpretation, I would like her more. I like Moqorro for that reason.

I don't like her because I think she's wrong about Stannis, and wrong about Azor Ahai (or whatever the name is). I don't like that she killed Cressen. The burnings also bug me, but strangely, somewhat less than Cressen.

If she could explain her visions in a way that was more ambiguous and allowed for her own possible misinterpretation, I would like her more. I like Moqorro for that reason.

I think she is wrong about Stannis.being Azor Ahai, it is clear to me that Roose Bolton is the true hero of the series.

Cressen killed himself. I don't trust any of those grey sheep with their own agendas so good riddance to him IMHO.

As for the burning people, I already covered that previously.

I can with two caveats

!. It is not me she is trying to burn alive

2.No shadow babies aimed to assassinate me

It also helps she is hot, If she looked like Selyse then not so much...

That's the thing she actually could be a hag, but glamored up.

Also what happens when Mel finds out Jon has King's blood? Does she try to burn him?

Archived