NHL 2014-15 - The Puck Drops Here

Jabronius Maximus

The Oilers just signed Nikitin for 4.5mil per year. I know Nikitin is ok, but cmon man! For reference, Taylor Hall, an 80pt player, makes $6 mil per season.

I mean there's cap room to spare, but that doesn't mean you can throw away money like that.

Take care of NikiNiki up there. He was solid for us. Not great, but not every player can be an all-star.

Take care of NikiNiki up there. He was solid for us. Not great, but not every player can be an all-star.

I like the term of the deal if anything. Would 'solid vet' be accurate in describing him? Seems like we'd need some of those while our defensive prospects move up the pipeline.

I like the term of the deal if anything. Would 'solid vet' be accurate in describing him? Seems like we'd need some of those while our defensive prospects move up the pipeline.

I'd say so. I think he was a great help in bringing Dalton Prout along last year. Very calm as a player. He'll make a dumb play sometimes, but is usually very disciplined.

I'd say so. I think he was a great help in bringing Dalton Prout along last year. Very calm as a player. He'll make a dumb play sometimes, but is usually very disciplined.

Sounds useful then. It'll definitely be an eye opener for him though, going from a team on the rise to one wallowing in the basement...

--

Kesler has narrowed his list of trade options to the Ducks and Blackhawks. Spezza has no interest in staying in Canada. And Thornton is also inexplicably on the block (why would SJ trade him?). This will be an interesting summer.

Well Kesler isn't what he was in 2011, but if he stays healthy then the Ducks may now have a legitimate 2nd line, something they sorely lacked.

I think they are at least close now. Maybe one or two more additions. Not sure what else they need as I didn't see much of them last year.

I think they are at least close now. Maybe one or two more additions. Not sure what else they need as I didn't see much of them last year.

Really they just had a lot of young guys in key positions. Fowler, Vatanen and Lindholm will be very good defensemen, but they're inexperienced and it showed against LA. Same story for the apparent phenom goalie Gibson, and young forwards like Smith-Pelley.

I'm just not sold on Boudreau as coach. Despite that, as the Ducks' young guys round into form, the team should get better. They are contenders now, but maybe a year away from seriously threatening for the Cup.

Archived