Jaqen's Mission in Oldtown

Fire Eater

Some drop spot for messages you mean? It could work but it be really slow. It should be faster and more practical to dispatch someone else from the Temple.

I also meant he might be assigned to kill someone in the Citadel or Oldtown, though more likely the Citadel since he acquired the skeleton key.

There was magic that worked before the birth of dragons, but much did not. For instance the glass candles. Other means of clairvoyance that did work (blood magic, old gods, fires) are not necessarily targeted or reliable or the FM might not have access to it. They are well informed, but we shouldn't assume they know everything. Of course there is also the possiblity they have access to ancient prophecies like others do. I'm just pointing out that if certain conditions don't apply anything pertaining to the dragons is bust.

Tobho Mott could act as an intermediary between The House of Black and White and Faceless Men in Westeros...

Tobho Mott could act as an intermediary between The House of Black and White and Faceless Men in Westeros...

Why Tobho Mott? And if they wanted to send someone to Oldtown, while Jaqen is in Westeros, why bother sending word to Westeros, which Jaqen will receive Him of Many Faces knows when if at all, instead of sending another FM from Braavos where he would have his choice of ships heading for Oldtown and would arrive there in all propability sooner?

Why Tobho Mott? And if they wanted to send someone to Oldtown, while Jaqen is in Westeros, why bother sending word to Westeros, which Jaqen will receive Him of Many Faces knows when if at all, instead of sending another FM from Braavos where he would have his choice of ships heading for Oldtown and would arrive there in all propability sooner?

It's not my proposition, I'm helping to speculate how. Just searchin for the truth, man. As to why Tobho Mott, did you ever notice the doors to his armory...

The double doors showed a hunting scene carved in ebony and weirwood.

It's not my proposition, I'm helping to speculate how. Just searchin for the truth, man. As to why Tobho Mott, did you ever notice the doors to his armory...

Weirwood is not just magical, it is also a luxury material. He is successful and showing off.

How would the captains find Jaqen and how would Jaqen know to look for them? Jaqen can't go around every port looking for every Braavosi ship, nor can a captain wait around just in case an FM shows up. The other way would be to look for a specific ship, at a specific location, at a specific time, but travelling is nowhere near reliable enough for that to be effective. They'd miss each other more often than not. The only other way would be to give every Braavosi captain a set of orders for all FM abroad. Just no.

Ships travel from port to port all the time. They stay a few days while unpacking their goods and loading goods for their next journey. Braavos is pretty much touted as living off sea trade. There is no logical reason why having a few ship captains who make a regular trip to certain ports in Westeros on the FM payroll is out of the ordinary. Jaqen would only have to wait in a port town for a few days until one of these trusted ships arrive, deliver a message to the captain (obviously written in code, but most would fear the FM retaliation worse). It is a lot better than him traveling for two months to Braavos.

when she said "What ship is this, my lord?"

He paused long enough to give her a weary smile. " This is the galleas Titan's Daughter, of the Free City of Braavos."

Some more talk while she pulls out the coin.

The captain turned it over and blinked at it, then looked at her again. "This ... how ...?"

Jaqen said to say the words too. Arya crossed her arm against her chest. "Valar morghulis," she said, as loud as if she'd known what it meant.

"Valar dohaeris," he replied, touching his brow with two fingers. "Of course you shall have a cabin."

Seems a little too convienant that this exchange happened so quickly and easily for Arya. It may have been a literary means for her to get to Braavos but it also implies an inherent contract with sailors from Braavos. He doesn't hesitate for a moment and books her passage with a cabin for a coin. Its either fear of the FM (highly likely as well) or something greater like a contract with the FM to deliver what they need when someone presents them with the correct coin and phrase. Him responding Valar dohaeris and putting two fingers to his brow is no coincidence.

Daenerys II, Clash

Except the FM aren't power hungry, and have a history of neutrality. The Braavosi would never allow them to keep a dragon in the city.

The culprit could be Euron.. The Ironborn are trying to get to Oldtown.

Euron wants to to control the dragons not kill them.

I suspect the warlocks.They still seek revenge for what happened with the house of the undying. And we know they met up with Euron, who presumably also hired a FM to kill Balon. Maybe this was a two-for-one deal, as dragon eggs are extremely valuable.

Edit: I clearly didn't think this through. Euron wants to ride dragons, not be an accomplice in the death of them. Still, Warlocks are a possibility

I think they were the ones who Euron got the horn from. They had the same designs as Euron in that they wanted to steal Dany's dragons. Besides, they probably noticed that their old powers have returned with the appearance of dragons, and killing them would put them back to where they were before.

This occured to me. Suppose they had a glass candle in the Temple, which given their Valyrial origins and the fact that they have been collencting rewards for centuries seems plausible, and they found to their surprise that it had started to work, then they both could track down Jaqen and send messages to him.

I think it is more than glass candle. They could probably just get one through trade.

If he was purposely traveling to the Wall, why didn't he finish the trip?

True, I don't think he is at the Citadel for any other purpose than something related to assassination.

I agree that he is after the book, The Death of Dragons and I think it could be for two reasons:

1. The FM know dragons have returned and are expecting that they will soon be fielding requests for dragon deaths. I would assume the FM could charge a king's ransom for that kind of service.

2. The Wizards of Qarth or another group (Tourmeline Brotherhood or the Thirteen) hired the FM to take out Dany and her Dragons. Though I think this far less likely since no attempts have been made on her by FM. At least not that we know of or even suspect.

I understand there is a history between the FM and dragonlords/Valyrians, but I don't see that as the motivation today. The FM are too nihilistic to carry an anti-dragon motivation for so many generations.

Weirwood is not just magical, it is also a luxury material. He is successful and showing off.

Yes it could just a coincidence that the House of Black and White hasssomething similar. Any other similar doors?

Except the FM aren't power hungry, and have a history of neutrality. The Braavosi would never allow them to keep a dragon in the city.

Euron wants to to control the dragons not kill them.

I think they were the ones who Euron got the horn from. They had the same designs as Euron in that they wanted to steal Dany's dragons. Besides, they probably noticed that their old powers have returned with the appearance of dragons, and killing them would put them back to where they were before.

I think it is more than glass candle. They could probably just get one through trade.

True, I don't think he is at the Citadel for any other purpose than something related to assassination.

If they had a dragon the others Braavosi wouldn't say squat for fear of being an entre at the next faceless cookout. The Qarthheens didn't mind, until of course, they realized Daenerys wasn't going to share and she had Drogo say no thank you to the warlocks.

If they had a dragon the others Braavosi wouldn't say squat for fear of being an entre at the next faceless cookout. The Qarthheens didn't mind, until of course, they realized Daenerys wasn't going to share and she had Drogo say no thank you to the warlocks.

Except you do recall Tycho Nestoris's reaction to the news of dragons? He wouldn't even jape. The Qartheen never suffered the Valyrians while the Braavosi are descended from escaped slaves who lived in hiding from the dragonlords for centuries.

The FM don't want dragons, they are a religious organization dedicated to death, and I don't see how dragons would serve them in that purpose. We have no reason to believe they would want dragons.

Except you do recall Tycho Nestoris's reaction to the news of dragons? He wouldn't even jape. The Qartheen never suffered the Valyrians while the Braavosi are descended from escaped slaves who lived in hiding from the dragonlords for centuries.

The FM don't want dragons, they are a religious organization dedicated to death, and I don't see how dragons would serve them in that purpose. We have no reason to believe they would want dragons.

oh, I don't know... I think an organization dedicated to death might find some use for a dragon... and the Braavosi don't appear to have minded when Aegon and his dragons showed up to help them defeat the neo-Valyrians of Volantis...

oh, I don't know... I think an organization dedicated to death might find some use for a dragon... and the Braavosi don't appear to have minded when Aegon and his dragons showed up to help them defeat the neo-Valyrians of Volantis...

Except the FM don't kill indiscriminately like dragons do, but with precision and only as a coup de grace, or people who are contracted to be killed.

As for Aegon, the Braavosi knew Aegon was on their side while the Braavosi are uncertain about Dany, and have likely heard the rumors about her circulated by the Yunkai'i. I think some Braavosi would suspect that Braavos's biggest rival, Volantis, that sent a fleet to Meereen, wants the dragons and would use them to revive their old plan for rebuilding the Valyrian empire.

Archived