Legend of Korra Season 3

Sci-2

New quote at Zaheer for the People:

The nature of my work has involved many journeys into the spirit world. According to tradition I have always left my physical body guarded by a close friend in the Order. This ancient tradition - spiritual journeyer paired with physical observer - is as old as the age of the Avatar. It is ostensibly to ensure my bodys physical safety. The true purpose of the practice is to guard against a much more sinister threat. While my spirit is on its journey, an ambitious spirit may seek habitation within my body.

A rogue spirit moves through unwilling flesh like venom. Ancient records show that victims of possession exhibit signs of delirium when they awaken, as the foreign spirit attempts to assert control over the body. My guardian in the physical world watches for these signs. In the event of my possession, I must be prevented from deceiving my fellows within the Order, or all we are working for might be lost. My physical body must be destroyed. It is critical, therefore, that my guardians be chosen such that they know me personally, yet would have no compunctions against ending me for the greater good. Only the most fanatical members of the Order are entrusted with such a task. A young acolyte from the north with an interest in airbender philosophy is proving to be a promising candidate.

The Journals of Xai Bau

I guess they could, and the chaos in Ba Sing Se could be shown as resolved in the beginning of the next season. But that would be cheap. The physical threat posed by the Red Lotus is awesome, and deserves a good conclusive showdown, but I also feel that we need to see Korra dealing with the repercussions of their actions.

I'd rather have a dramatic saving of the Air Nation that doesn't end with the Red Lotus destroyed. Maybe something happens to Korra. Or someone dies saving her. Next season begins with them having killed the Fire Lord, Tonraq in hiding, Raiko dead, the world in chaos, and Team Avatar on the run. Korra has to deal with a chaotic world that needs order, and she's the only one who can do anything about it. That would be waaaay cooler.

I'm with you there. If the clip posted above is anything to go by you could be right.

the description of possession - has anything like that ever happened with a character from the show. Tenzin's daughter being a prime example but maybe his siblings too?

"A rogue spirit moves through unwilling flesh like venom."

The final episode is called Venom of the Red Lotus.

I wonder now... Is Korra going to be possessed, maybe? Perhaps the Spirit of Xai Bau, or Guru Laghima, posses her? And of course, Asami (who seems to be designated Korra body watcher this season), won't have the heart to destroy Korra's body.

The season may end with the seeming defeat of the Red Lotus X benders, but they may simply be a distraction to make Korra susceptible to being spiritually infiltrated.

Only, Korra already HAS a spirit in her body. A powerful one at that. Perhaps the goal of the Red Lotus, which seeks to sow chaos, is to enter Korra, make her sow chaos for them, and thus release Vaatu, the spirit of chaos, from within Raava again?

I disagree. If they can make the Vaatu Raava stuff more interesting with a more complex and competent human intermediary for Vaatu, I would be happy as it would integrate the previous season better. I don't want it ignored like a chunk of bad meat. If they retcon things to make season 2 seem but a part of the bigger picture, I'd be happier.

After all, how many different super villains with entirely separate motives is Korra supposed to face in less than a year? It's more than a little ridiculous that way.

I think a return of Vaatu would be too soon but to use the opening of the gates between spirit and physical worlds could allow another bad spirit access. eg one working via the red lotus. What would be really cool would be if it was someone/thing from TLA. The firelord would be too on the nose though.

I'd forgotten Amon was dead - obvious candidate for returning if they want all the seasons to tie together. Amon and the goals of the red lotus are pretty similar in an odd way.

Koh the face stealer would be a good option. This time he gets to steal a whole body in the real world.

I don't think Vaatu will actually make a reappearance. But the threat of that would both up the stakes and suitably this this season to the previous one.

It wasn't spiritual so much as needing you to be able to separate out emotions. And Mako was always shown to be cool under fire, so it made perfect sense he could use it.

Also, like metalbending becoming so common, it made sense that lightning, which was an extremely rare ability before, spread and became common as knowledge became easier to spread.

You're selling the spiritual connection short when it comes to lightning generation imo. According to the avatar wiki:

Mentally, it involves a complete absence of emotion and peace of mind, and physically it requires separating the energies of yin and yang, also interpreted as positive and negative electric potential respectively. When the yin and yang collide together to become whole again, lightning is created, with the bender only guiding, rather than controlling, the lightning's direction.

Now you could interpret peace of mind as just being a cool cat like Mako stu is, the writers certainly botched that up when they decided to make lightning bending a part of the new industrial lifestyle, but when you look at Iroh's lesson in ATLA it's much deeper than that.

It's not enough to be good under pressure, you need to be at peace with yourself and what you are. That's incredibly rare, most people just aren't that way and that's certainly why conflicted Zuko wasn't able to bend lightning, while batshit crazy Azula (who revelled in her power as a prodigy firebender and princess) was able to lightning bend until the end.

The writers decided to interpret it more loosely, so that they could give Mako Stu this powerful technique. Imo that was a mistake. Then again, I also feel that there are way to much metalbenders, so perhaps I'm just wired that way.

I really hope it's just possession.

The less said of Vaatu & Rava the better. Not to mention they said in Season 2 that Vaatu, if destroyed, wouldn't return for millennia.

:bowdown:

I think a return of Vaatu would be too soon but to use the opening of the gates between spirit and physical worlds could allow another bad spirit access. eg one working via the red lotus. What would be really cool would be if it was someone/thing from TLA. The firelord would be too on the nose though.

I'd forgotten Amon was dead - obvious candidate for returning if they want all the seasons to tie together. Amon and the goals of the red lotus are pretty similar in an odd way.

It's not going to be someone from ATLA. Not even Koh. There is a reason why Guru Laghima has been brought up repeatedly this season. If there's going to be a possession, which seems likely, than it will be him. He probably disappeared in the spirit world (a bit like Iroh) and wants to come back to somehow finish what he started.

from what I can find of Laghima there's not much to say he's "evil" other than Zaheer's "new growth cannot exist without the destruction of the old" quote.

Koh the face stealer would be a good option. This time he gets to steal a whole body in the real world.

I don't think Vaatu will actually make a reappearance. But the threat of that would both up the stakes and suitably this this season to the previous one.

Koh was such a creepy monster. I think he made a reappearance in the Avatar graphic novels, so the writers do like him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ytauJfsyCE4&t=2%3A16

This interview from SDCC reveals a few things:

1) Book 4 will be more linked to 3 than 3 was to 2 ("book 4 especially relates to book 3").

2) The finale of book 3 is less supernatural and more personal and emotional.

Thanks for this.

The connection makes sense. Seems like the Fearsome Four will get taken out, but the Red Lotus will remain a threat.

Whether they have a possessed Avatar remains to be seen...not to mention the possible body count coming at us on Friday.

The explosion's from explosion girl are so weak, they never seem to do damage at all tbh

Lavabending, being thrown against the wall by Air, having a ton of rocks fall on you, being frozen in ice... none of these cause much damage either. Frankly, I think they should have just said that Benders have extra tough bodies that allow them to survive these things.

Lavabending, being thrown against the wall by Air, having a ton of rocks fall on you, being frozen in ice... non e of these cause much damage either. Frankly, I think they should have just said that Benders have extra tough bodies that allow them to survive these things.

I just find it funny when she shoots an explosion at a car, and its completly unaffected :)

the explosions are like in video games.

you can attach grenades to a clothes store's window and detonate, and the glass won't even scratch. And the clothes are of course fireproof.

And explosions on a road will of course leave no craters....or any other deformations.

And then there is this thing all movies and series have in common that you will realize after really thinking about it:

You can shoot any guy in the shin, or punch him, and he will instantly die, except if it is the hero or the villain. Movie villains and heroes tend to only die when their bodies are essentially replaced by lead.

And the precision shot. One time an explosion blows up a huge radius and instantly destroys vehicles, the other time the explosion only leaves a dent in the car's roof.

Archived