Are Valyrian steel weapons an advantage against an armored opponent?

The Sleeper

This is a question for the history buffs out there. of which I am not. As far as I can tell the way to get through armor is to have a weapon that can deliver momentum on the smallest surface possible. Thus you'd go for hammers or maces first, then axes with swords being the least effective. Wouldn't the fact that Valyrian steel swords are lighter make them actually less effective than regular ones despite the increased sharpness?

I am not an expert either, but against an armored opponent, it might. Of course the added dexterity of using a lighter blade might offset this. Or you could go for the "it's magic" solution, in which case it's superior, case closed.

Most people don't have plate armor though. If they do then as you said swords are terrible in general so you wouldn't be trying to slash through it, you'd be trying to hit the weak spots at joints. The advantage is that it's lighter, so you get tired less quickly.

Depending how stiff it is you can also use a sword for stabbing, which would make the durability of VS far superior to a normal sword vs plate since a normal sword would lose its point very quickly doing that.

Archived