Rogues – NonGRRM Stories

I was wondering what everyone thought of some of the other stories in Rogues.

I am a big fan of Rothfuss, Abecrombie and Lynch and have recently started reading some of Neil Gaiman’s stuff. I started with those and have also read Flynn’s and Willis’s.

Besides Martin’s I was most excited about the first three authors I mention above as I have read pretty much everything else they had put out.

Abercombie – This was pretty good. It wasn’t my favorite in the anthology. I felt it hard to keep up with all the new characters thrown at me at once. I did enjoy hearing from Friendly again, though he seemed a bit more insightful than I remembered him. Abecrombie gets a break for a less than five star story though as he puts out books faster than street vendors make hotdogs and they are always very good. I’m looking forward to his new trilogy.

Rothfuss – I quite enjoyed the Bast story. Part of me was hoping a few more fae secrates would be divulged. It was still very entertaining and we got to learn a bit more about a mysterious character. It definitely left me wanting more. I am excited about the Auri book, though after reading this I am thinking we won’t have many mysteries solved in it.

Lynch – This was, in my opinion the best story in the anthology (as far as I have read at least). I was expecting a Gentleman Bastard prequel or something but I loved the new world. He managed to create a cool new world with very likeable characters in a short story. It was very impressive. They plot was very Gentleman Bastard like and it was tied up very nicely in the end.

Gaiman – I happened to read Neverwhere a month before this came out. It is a sequel that follows on of the secondary characters in the novel. I enjoyed getting a little more background on the Marquis and the story had a satisfying ending.

I also enjoyed Willis’s and Flynn’s. The former ended and very abruptly and the latter was very clever and humorous.

What did everyone else think? Any other fans of the authors I mention above that want to chime in?

Yea I realized after but couldn't make the change. Spell check failed me again. Another case solved by the spelling police. Congrats! So you didn't read the stories? Does the thread lose all cred? Did I spell all of the authors names correctly? How was my grammar? You must forgive me I am a CPA not an author.

You always can edit your own posts, and if you are the thread starter, change the title. Yes you can.

Also, there is a thread already existing for that anthology, which despite authors posting in it -and spelling the title correctly- did not get much traffic.

So yeah, I don't think it's about cred, it's just that not many people seem to care.

As for the spelling police, this is probably a mute point, but it's a doggy dog world, don't take topically accurate answers for granite if you leave yourself open to mockery like that. :leaving:

You always can edit your own posts, and if you are the thread starter, change the title. Yes you can.

Also, there is a thread already existing for that anthology, which despite authors posting in it -and spelling the title correctly- did not get much traffic.

So yeah, I don't think it's about cred, it's just that not many people seem to care.

As for the spelling police, this is probably a mute point, but it's a doggy dog world, don't take topically accurate answers for granite if you leave yourself open to mockery like that. :leaving:

Fixed ..

And you said GRANITE INSTEAD OF GRANTED!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'll make sure I don't take it for marble either. ZING

Ah, so this is how Poe's law works. sigh.

Don't feel too bad, I tend to run into it just about every day. Just another reason suspect that I had been accidentally left behind by my species while they were visiting the planet.

So the granite comment was done on purpose? I didn't know Poe's law applied to grammatical errors as I thought it related to more fundamental debates. But hey your the genius not me. I'm sure you fancy yourself quite the intellectual. Perhaps you are. I don't doubt you studied at Cambridge and wrote some brilliant thesis on how smart you are. I also bet you get a bit of a chubby flexing that brain on the Westeros board. I was just trying to talk about some fantasy writers I like. I think that's why most of us are here. Thanks for the lesson Professor.

So the granite comment was done on purpose?

Considering that, in the same sentence, he used "mute" in place of "moot" and "doggy dog" instead of "dog-eat-dog," I'd assume so. At least to me, making word choice errors in supposed support of grammar police reads as a send-up of said police.

More on topic, I haven't gotten through Rogues yet because I've been reading a book, then a short story from Rogues, then another book, then another short story. I'm currently about a quarter of the way through (currently on Ball's Provenance). I've mostly liked them so far except Lansdale's, where I just didn't know enough about the characters to connect.

Considering that, in the same sentence, he used "mute" in place of "moot" and "doggy dog" instead of "dog-eat-dog," I'd assume so. At least to me, making word choice errors in supposed support of grammar police reads as a send-up of said police.

More on topic, I haven't gotten through Rogues yet because I've been reading a book, then a short story from Rogues, then another book, then another short story. I'm currently about a quarter of the way through (currently on Ball's Provenance). I've mostly liked them so far except Lansdale's, where I just didn't know enough about the characters to connect.

Thanks for an answer on a topic. My point is I'm trying to discuss some stories, and this douche bag and now newbie douche bag have to be snarky assholes. I'm discussing a story not writing an essay. I actually do quite well in my field and if I put hours of work into writing can do quite well. A paper I recently wrote for my masters degree in accounting was posted on a blog in Forbes. I'm not an imbecile, however I have a life, a job and kids. I want to escape and discuss a short story and these jerk-offs, who by the way probably make considerably less money than I do, need to make themselves feel good by trying to make me feel dumb. I bet if we met in a pub things would be quite different.

Is the Abercrombie a stand alone? I've only read the First Law trilogy. Is it based on characters from there, or the following stand alones?

Same with the other stories. Are any of them part of stories that need to be read beforehand?

I read The Rogue Prince and wasn't too thrilled with it. Kind of wish I saved my money and waited for it to come out in paperback.

Mine is pretty much standalone. A few characters that have appeared in other stories and novels but nothing that'll much spoil your experience, I wouldn't say.

Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to diving into you " Tough Times All Over" tonight.

• 2 months later...

A little off topic here, but didn't think it was worth making a new thread over

Admittedly I bought the legends, rogues and dangerous women anthologies for ASOIAF backstories but have since started reading (and enjoying) the others. I noticed what may possible by a shout out from Rothfuss to GRRM in The Lightning Tree (Bast's story). I don't think I'm the only to have noticed as it was marked as frequently highlighted on my kindle. What are your thoughts on this? I did a quick search to see if people have mentioned a connection but haven't found anything.

“I'll send a boy round to [the crazy farmer] Martin's and ask him to come by with a couple bottles."
"Get five or six," Bast said. "It's getting cold at night. Winter's coming."
The innkeeper smiled. "I'm sure Martin will be flattered.”

Archived