More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I agree, but I also agree with others who said that introducing characters just for the purpose of filling a quota isn't in GrrM's writing style. I would like to see a strong female character who has total ownership of her sexuality and has avoided the culture in Westeros that all women need a man to be worth anything, as so few women in his story have the courage to fight the status quo... but adding someone new who distracts from the narrative just as a placeholder wouldn't be much of a win.

I agree, but I also agree with others who said that introducing characters just for the purpose of filling a quota isn't in GrrM's writing style. I would like to see a strong female character who has total ownership of her sexuality and has avoided the culture in Westeros that all women need a man to be worth anything, as so few women in his story have the courage to fight the status quo... but adding someone new who distracts from the narrative just as a placeholder wouldn't be much of a win.

Like Talisa? :lol:

Like Dany? Or Arya? Or Cersei? Or Brienne? Or Arianne? Or Catelyn? Or Asha? I mean...pretty much everyone but Sansa.

Like Dany? Or Arya? Or Cersei? Or Brienne? Or Arianne? Or Catelyn? Or Asha? I mean...pretty much everyone but Sansa.

I was specifically referring to one who threw that cultural imperitive away and chose a female partner, which I would think might be pretty taboo in Westeros, because for the most part women aren't really given a choice if they marry or not. Dany married against her will, Cersei married against her will, so did Cat, and Asha is technically married as well.

Writing gay men was somewhat less tricky, because the men have most of the power in Westeros and could have this written off because they're great warriors or leaders or have something to offer the realm as valuable as an advantageous marriage. The women, other than the Sand Snakes as mentioned below, have marriage as their main currency for power. In Westeros, a character who did not follow this path, especially a highborn one, might face a lot of backlash from family and kingdom for choosing to heed their heart and persue a lesbian relationship instead of doing the one thing women are expected to do: make a good political marriage for their family.

Couldn't that describe the Sand Snakes? We haven't seen much of them, but the elder ones don't seem dependent on men.

I think things like these ("We need more gays", "We need more black characters" etc.) are just nonsense. I think ASOIAF is already pretty open to homosexuals and homosexuality for a middle-aged series. (This may sound wrong, but I mean it in the best way.) Dorne has absolutely no problem with it, the Tyrells's precious son is gay, and Westeros almost had a gay king, even. To me, it's just like those (mostly) feminist whining about GRRM being mysogynistic or something like it.

But then there's this girlcrush of me.

And yet people were complaining that he was too white. I mean, why. :( Sexy viper.

...he wasn't at all white. Ugh, people just want to find fault with everything.

I wasn't so sure Satin was gay. In the sense that he preferred men. I just thought that was what he was made to do because he grew up in a brothel. I might have missed it in the pages of it being said he was gay. Was it explicitly said? Either way I don't mind the gay characters. I thought Oberyn was pretty much a sexual predator. I don't mean in the paedo-sense, but in the "I'll have sex with anyone, anywhere, anytime, I'll double team a father/son father/daughter duo because I'm so sexy they won't be able to reject me because I so fuckin hot sense"

I think things like these ("We need more gays", "We need more black characters" etc.) are just nonsense. I think ASOIAF is already pretty open to homosexuals and homosexuality for a middle-aged series. (This may sound wrong, but I mean it in the best way.) Dorne has absolutely no problem with it, the Tyrells's precious son is gay, and Westeros almost had a gay king, even. To me, it's just like those (mostly) feminist whining about GRRM being mysogynistic or something like it.

But then there's this girlcrush of me.

I understand why Westeros has to be male-driven. It is an accurate model of society at the time. If I hated the way the story is built, I don't think I'd find it as interesting to discuss it. Definitely not an angry feminist. I just think reading about someone who goes against pretty much the whole culture there would be neat. That said, I don't think George owes it to anyone to represent them. I guess the tone is hard to convey in this medium.

I wasn't so sure Satin was gay. In the sense that he preferred men. I just thought that was what he was made to do because he grew up in a brothel. I might have missed it in the pages of it being said he was gay. Was it explicitly said? Either way I don't mind the gay characters. I thought Oberyn was pretty much a sexual predator. I don't mean in the paedo-sense, but in the "I'll have sex with anyone, anywhere, anytime, I'll double team a father/son father/daughter duo because I'm so sexy they won't be able to reject me because I so fuckin hot sense"

There is no explicit reference to Satin being gay. Only him having certain characteristics that in Westeros are considered feminine (but not nowadays). He could be thought as a metrosexual but alas... many metrosexual are thought being gay even today.

About Oberyn, I don't think he's different from many other noble men with certain freedoms. He didn't need to get married and have children like Doran, and he travelled a lot. Besides, he's 42 and he has 8 daughters, 4 of them are with the same woman who he loves. As Elia is around 16, I'd say that he has been together with Ellaria for that time and hasn't had any other woman except for the occasional adventure she's completely aware of. Compare him with Robert who was 36 and had 16 bastards.

And yet people were complaining that he was too white. I mean, why. :( Sexy viper.

We come in many colours =(

Archived