NEW ASOIAF EG VOTING THREAD

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Okey dokey.

It's been like 48 hours with the Targs in the lead . . . .

so here's the list as currently constituted:

Best character with known Targaryen blood. (Lord Lyman – 4/29/2014)
1. Aegon I the Conquerer
2. Visenya (Aegon I sister)
3. Rhaenys (Aegon I sister)
4. Maegor I the Cruel
5. Aenys I
6. Jaehaerys I the Wise
7. Alysanne (Jaehaerys I wife and sister)
8. Viserys I
9. Aegon II
10. Rhaenyra (Viserys I daughter)
11. Aegon III the Dragonbane
12. Daeron I the Young Dragon
13. Baelor I the Beloved
14. Daena the Defiant
15. Viserys II
16. Aegon IV the Unworthy
17. Aemon the Dragonknight
18. Daemon I Blackfyre
19. Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers
20. Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers
21. Shiera Seastar
22. Daeron II the Good
23. Baelor Breakspear
24. Aerys I
25. Maekar I
26. Aerion Brightflame
27. Maester Aemon
28. Aegon V the Unlikely, Egg
29. Jaehaerys II
30. Duncan the Small
31. Aerys II the Mad
32. Rhaella (Aerys II sister and wife)
33. Rhaegar
34. Viserys III the Beggar King
35. Daenerys Stormborn
36. Rhaenys (Rhaegar's daughter)
37. Aegon (Rhaegar's son)

38. Daemon

39. Baela

40. Princess Rhaenys (Queen that never was)

41. Daeron the Daring

42. Daeron the Drunk (Maekar's eldest son, who has some of the best lines in The Hedge Knight!)

43. Daemon II Blackfyre (aka "John the Fiddler")

44. Aemond Targaryen

45. Haelena Targaryen (children of Alicent and Viserys I)

46. Jahaerys Velaryon

47. Lucaerys "Luke" Velaryon

48. Joffrey Velaryon (queen Rhaenyra's children)

49. Elaena Targaryen,

50. Daena the Defiant

51. Queen Naerys

Adding stops tomorrow noon GMT. OK? Or should we wait another day?

Oh, sorry. I meant the one from tPatQ. Aegon II's brother, Daeron the Daring. Pretty much the only likable Green. :)

Good lord.

There's 3 Daeron's?? I have no idea who the other 2 are and I have not read tP&tQ. I knew I was going to have a tough time with this list! :P

Good lord.

There's 3 Daeron's?? I have no idea who the other 2 are and I have not read tP&tQ. I knew I was going to have a tough time with this list! :P

There are two kings called Daeron, neither of them has anything to do with The Princess and the Queen: Daeron I (The Young Dragon) and Daeron II (Daeron the Good). Daeron the Daring is the third son of king Viserys I and queen Alicent Hightower, and one of the few really sympathetic characters on the side of the Greens (he's probably the most likable on their side).

I would change the title of the game. If the title is "Best character with known Targaryen blood", then we should be including Stannis, Renly, Robert Baratheon, Shireen, Mya Stone, Gendry etc.

I would change the title of the game. If the title is "Best character with known Targaryen blood", then we should be including Stannis, Renly, Robert Baratheon, Shireen, Mya Stone, Gendry etc.

We struggled with this in the past.

If you just say best Targ and limit the list to people with he Targaryen name, you're losing some people who have pretty pure Targaryen blood, right?

How would you propose wording it?

We struggled with this in the past.

If you just say best Targ and limit the list to people with he Targaryen name, you're losing some people who have pretty pure Targaryen blood, right?

How would you propose wording it?

I don't think we should limit to people with the Targ name, but "Targ blood" is way too wide a definition and includes the Baratheons, the Martells and probably a few other people as well. I'd just call it "Best Targaryen". People would understand that "best Targaryen" does not mean just people with that last name. Most people think of Jon Snow as a Stark even though he does not have the last name "Stark".

Anyway, if we're including every possible Targaryen, including quite a few who have never appeared "on screen" in any of the novels or novellas, why not include all of those who have actually appeared as characters in the novellas, like Daeron the Drunk (Maekar's eldest son, who has some of the best lines in The Hedge Knight!), Daemon II Blackfyre (aka "John the Fiddler"), Aemond Targaryen, Haelena Targaryen (children of Alicent and Viserys I), Jahaerys Velaryon, Lucaerys "Luke" Velaryon, Joffrey Velaryon (queen Rhaenyra's children)? We definitely know a lot more about them than about Aenys I or Jahaerys II etc.

As for those who don't appear "on screen", if Aegon the Unworthy and Aemon the Dragonknight are there, why not queen Naerys as well, to complete the 'love triangle'.

ETA: Also, as for the people who don't appear "on screen", there's Elaena Targaryen, who's quite interesting, but all we know about her is from GRRM's quotes in SSM etc. Though that's also the case with Daena the Defiant, I believe.

I don't think we should limit to people with the Targ name, but "Targ blood" is way too wide a definition and includes the Baratheons, the Martells and probably a few other people as well. I'd just call it "Best Targaryen". People would understand that "best Targaryen" does not mean just people with that last name. Most people think of Jon Snow as a Stark even though he does not have the last name "Stark".

Speaking of Jon Snow - Ned said "You have my blood" (in GOT. I don't believe we ever see them speak to one another in the books aside from the direwolf scene in Bran 1). So there's no question, Jon is a Stark. But some would say he's 1/2 Targ - do you include him?

Anyway, if we're including every possible Targaryen, including quite a few who have never appeared "on screen" in any of the novels or novellas, why not include all of those who have actually appeared as characters in the novellas, like Daeron the Drunk (Maekar's eldest son, who has some of the best lines in The Hedge Knight!),

I just read The Hedge Knight and don't recall him. Guess I better read it again.

So, 4 Daerons? Why don't they have numbers??

Daemon II Blackfyre (aka "John the Fiddler"), Aemond Targaryen, Haelena Targaryen (children of Alicent and Viserys I), Jahaerys Velaryon, Lucaerys "Luke" Velaryon, Joffrey Velaryon (queen Rhaenyra's children)? We definitely know a lot more about them than about Aenys I or Jahaerys II etc.

This is quite a lot of Targs.

Are we going to make it to 60 for another 2 part game?

As for those who don't appear "on screen", if Aegon the Unworthy and Aemon the Dragonknight are there, why not queen Naerys as well, to complete the 'love triangle'.

I'm sure we can squeeze the lady in. :)

ETA: Also, as for the people who don't appear "on screen", there's Elaena Targaryen, who's quite interesting, but all we know about her is from GRRM's quotes in SSM etc. Though that's also the case with Daena the Defiant, I believe.

The adding is never done till we've heard from Annara Snow. Good job as always!

eta

I think I got everybody in that you mentioned. Let me know if I missed anybody.

Speaking of Jon Snow - Ned said "You have my blood" (in GOT. I don't believe we ever see them speak to one another in the books aside from the direwolf scene in Bran 1). So there's no question, Jon is a Stark. But some would say he's 1/2 Targ - do you include him?

I'm not sure why you're asking me? I already said I wouldn't include the Baratheons or the Martells etc who are people with known Targaryen blood (nobody knows about Jon except maybe a couple of people like Howland Reed or Wylla).

Maybe we should just include legitimate members of the royal Targaryen line born with the last name Targaryen. No bastards, no one who just has Targaryen blood, no one who married into them. That helps limit it, then we can get rid of some of the ones who we know little about/see little to nothing of.

I don't know.

I'm not sure why you're asking me? I already said I wouldn't include the Baratheons or the Martells etc who are people with known Targaryen blood (nobody knows about Jon except maybe a couple of people like Howland Reed or Wylla).

You're right, because till GRRM says it, R+L=J really is just speculation.

However, if Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son, AND R legitimized him by marrying Lyanna, then he is a Targ with a better claim to the throne than Dany (though not better than Aegon). The same cannot be said of any of the Baratheons (especially Gendry, Mya, et al) and Martells.

Or to put it another way, if you believe R+L=J, then Jon is really Jon Targaryen. Or maybe he even has a hidden Targ first name (Daeron V? :P ).

You're right, because till GRRM says it, R+L=J really is just speculation.

However, if Jon Snow is Rhaegar's son, AND R legitimized him by marrying Lyanna, then he is a Targ with a better claim to the throne than Dany (though not better than Aegon). The same cannot be said of any of the Baratheons (especially Gendry, Mya, et al) and Martells.

Or to put it another way, if you believe R+L=J, then Jon is really Jon Targaryen. Or maybe he even has a hidden Targ first name (Daeron V? :P ).

No, not really. I consider people Targaryens not only if they have Targ blood but also if they identify as Targaryens/part of the Targaryen dynasty, feel a connection with the Targaryen heritage, etc.

Jon is Jon Snow, even though he's Rhaegar's and Lyanna's biological son.

Archived