Daemon Targaryen : "Rogue" ain't the word!

Ser Uncle P

I think the two novellas balance out. PatQ makes the Blacks look better and Rogue makes the Greens look better, given that it looks like Rhaenyra's oldest sons were actually bastards (not just a rumor) and Daemon comes off as a shit.

Makes sense, although it's weird that Gyldayn wrote both then...

Do you think Rhaenyra was always planned to be mad from the start?

I don't think she was mad. I think she allowed paranoia and grief to consume her. But she comes off as sane.

I didn't want to use mad, but I didn't know exactly what to call her. This might surprise you, but I'm a lot more forgiving of a lot of the bad Targs ;) but idk, I just expected something better from her based on the little I knew of the Dance (which is probably my mistake since it's mentioned from the beginning as atrocious.)

I didn't want to use mad, but I didn't know exactly what to call her. This might surprise you, but I'm a lot more forgiving of a lot of the bad Targs ;) but idk, I just expected something better from her based on the little I knew of the Dance (which is probably my mistake since it's mentioned from the beginning as atrocious.)

I think the lesson from the Dance might be that fighting a wrong is useless if a person becomes just as worse as the person they're fighting. This might surprise you, but I think that might become important later.

I don't think she was mad. I think she allowed paranoia and grief to consume her. But she comes off as sane.

I agree. And her paranoia is understandable. Which makes it more tragic that it leads to her downfall - as Addam Velaryon and Nettles would have remained loyal.

Rhaenyra is not mad. The reaction to the betrayal of the bastards was extreme, but it was also understandable. And she really got pushed into that direction by her remaining loyalists, at least that's what reported in TPatQ. It was not her idea to order the execution of Nettles and the arrest of Ser Addam.

And we should keep in mind that both TRP and especially TPatQ were heavily edited, so we don't really get a complete or very detailed picture of either of the factions in any of the stories (although TRP is much better in that regard).

As to Viserys:

I honestly think by 120 the Dance could only have been prevented if Viserys had completely destroyed one of the two factions (i.e. either his sons by Alicent or his daughter and brother). Otto's reappointment as Hand allowed the Greens to stage a coup, but Alicent and her children would have fought Rhaenyra in any case - if she had been Hand, she would have risen to the throne upon her father's death, but Oldtown and Casterly Rock would have rebelled against her.

Subconsciously Viserys might have feared that something like that would happen, but no sane father would have gone through with the 'final solution' for this problem.

You really don't want to believe that your family is going to slaughter itself after your death.

I think the lesson from the Dance might be that fighting a wrong is useless if a person becomes just as worse as the person they're fighting. This might surprise you, but I think that might become important later.

Oh definitely. I might be way off but I took the P&Q as basically a foreshadowing/parallel of the war between Dany and Aegon and/or Jon.

Archived