philosophical book about God/religion for guy suffering existential angst and fear about afterlife possibility

dornishscorpion

Just quoting this to say I did this and to thank Rorshach, whose take on the affair is clearly backed up by the sources linked here, and you for pushing him into posting about it. I knew there was a lot more to the story than is commonly known, but learning some of the details was fascinating.

Wow, someone decided to be an apologist for the Inquisition and gets thanks for it. I guess I'm naive for being surprised by that.

Wow, someone decided to be an apologist for the Inquisition and gets thanks for it. I guess I'm naive for being surprised by that.

If you think that is what happened you have not read what was written and linked here very carefully. Nobody has defended that Galileo was locked up for his beliefs, what has been disputed was the reasoning why it happened, which is the fascinating part of the whole affair.

There are some interesting tidbits I wasn't aware of before, like the fact that Galileo insulted one of the most powerful men in the world in his Dialogue. Considering he lived in the 17th century, that takes some balls, and is the kind of stupid idea that also helps to humanise an otherwise rather distant historical figure in my mind. Galileo's scientific achievements are undeniable and important, his failings, both on a personal and scientific level less so, yet it's these failings (in particular the scientific ones), that actually explain why he had to spend the last decade of his life under house arrest.

Did you just say he deserved to be locked up because his theory wasn't quite right, and because he insulted the pope? Inquisition, fuck yeah. Jesus Christ.

Can you not fucking read, or are you just looking for an argument?

You said you were quitting this thread. You probably should.

Can you not fucking read, or are you just looking for an argument?

You said you were quitting this thread. You probably should.

"Galileo's scientific achievements are undeniable and important, *******************his failings, both on a personal and scientific level less so, yet it's these failings (in particular the scientific ones), that actually explain why he had to spend the last decade of his life under house arrest.*********************"

Can you not fucking read, you total douche?

You're right. I am quitting this. I rarely get so vexed in an argument, but you people are something totally singular.

Yeah, as I thought, you can't fucking read. Fucking hell. How do you expect to be taken seriously in a historical argument when you completely misinterpret a sentence as basic as that? Presumably through rage that someone doesn't agree with you instantaneously and totally.

Are you on another fucking planet? How else do you interpret his fucking 'personal and scientific failings'?

Honestly. Look. I can't do this anymore. This ISNT serious never mind being taken seriously - it's a total mess. Live long and read a fucking book. Maybe before you accept someone apologising for the inquisition.

Bye. And half hearted apologies for lowering myself to your tone.

Are you on another fucking planet? How else do you interpret his fucking 'personal and scientific failings'?

It's not your interpretation of 'personal and scientific failings' I have a problem with you utter fucking nut, it's how you arrived at 'deserved to be imprisoned' from what Jon AS posted.

It's a total mess because you made it that way- and not just the Galileo argument, you've been set on derailing the topic from the start.

Did you just say he deserved to be locked up because his theory wasn't quite right, and because he insulted the pope? Inquisition, fuck yeah. Jesus Christ.

Just to try to to get you to understand I'm simply going to quote the part of my post that is relevant to your question:

Nobody has defended that Galileo was locked up for his beliefs

If you somehow manage to read "he derserved to be locked up" into that sentence, I will probably have to accept my inability to communicate with you, as our ways of interpreting information are just too different to allow for meaningful dialogue.

ETA:

have there ever been any plutocentrists? that would awesome up galileo's otherwise pedestrian heresy trial.

I was always partial to Tycho Brahe's combination of helio- and geocentrism. It just looks so wonderfully, needlessly complicated.

Archived