Reason for Illyrio to give Dany dragon eggs

Attitude

at first I thought - he had lived with both dani and her brother. it seems to be common knowledge that half targarians are crazy. (In breeding, lol...) Illyio is putting his money on the child he has observed personally not to be crazy.

Or- there is the obvious symbolism of an EGG. the undeniable mark of rebirth, spring, fertility, new beginnings. To wouldn't really be fitting to give that to a male character.

Giving dani the eggs, is a show of wealth, but its said that they are priceless, therefore worth well more than all of Illyrio's possessions. hes known to be driven by money. so I think Maybe..... the choice wasn't his. the eggs were her mother's and smuggled with the children. the eggs already belonged to dani, she was just unaware of them. it doesn't make sense any other way, hes just too greedy.

Giving dani the eggs, is a show of wealth, but its said that they are priceless, therefore worth well more than all of Illyrio's possessions. hes known to be driven by money. so I think Maybe..... the choice wasn't his. the eggs were her mother's and smuggled with the children. the eggs already belonged to dani, she was just unaware of them. it doesn't make sense any other way, hes just too greedy.

They aren't priceless. Dragon eggs are routinely traded. Worth a fortune or three, but Illyrio has a couple of fortunes himself.

Nor is Illyrio greedy. No hint for that at all.

at first I thought - he had lived with both dani and her brother. it seems to be common knowledge that half targarians are crazy. (In breeding, lol...) Illyio is putting his money on the child he has observed personally not to be crazy.

Or- there is the obvious symbolism of an EGG. the undeniable mark of rebirth, spring, fertility, new beginnings. To wouldn't really be fitting to give that to a male character.

The text says they are from Asshai. Doesn't mean that's not a cover story, but if Illyrio's greed was as bad as you say, he wouldn't have cared that they technically belonged to Dany. He could have kept them for himself or sold them to get a few more fortunes.

Possible secondary motivations for giving the eggs are Dany being able to fund her way out if things went south with the Dothraki, or trade them for ships to take the hordes across the water. The problem with secondary motivations though is that they rely on the actions of another. Illyrio can't know what will occur. Once he gives Dany those eggs, what happens to them or with them is out of his control. In this case the simple explanation is probably the right one: It's a mark of his wealth that he can afford to buy and give dragon eggs as gifts. Purely done to make him look good.

I won't buy the statement that they were 'just wedding gifts'. If you look at the plans Illyrio (and Varys) have made, looking forward at least 15 years, then it doesn't seem to me that they would just give away very valuable dragon eggs. I think it's a gift to 'show dany is a real targaryen'. But maybe he also could have traced back Rhaella's crown and gave that to dany for instance. Why the dragons eggs?

Maybe because he already got them? I don't know, but I bet he now wishes that he wouldn't have given them to Dany.

I won't buy the statement that they were 'just wedding gifts'. If you look at the plans Illyrio (and Varys) have made, looking forward at least 15 years, then it doesn't seem to me that they would just give away very valuable dragon eggs. I think it's a gift to 'show dany is a real targaryen'. But maybe he also could have traced back Rhaella's crown and gave that to dany for instance. Why the dragons eggs?

Maybe because he already got them? I don't know, but I bet he now wishes that he wouldn't have given them to Dany.

there is no need to show who Dany is, She is the only confirmed Targaryen left on the planet (save Aemon). The eggs had nothing to do with 'showing' who she is.

Then why give them?

It's pretty clear that prior to Vary's "accelation plan," Jorah and Drogo were taking Dany and the eggs to Asshai. Jorah mentions going to Asshai a bunch even though it makes no sense. Drogo also planned on raiding east. Drogois interested in fulfilling prophecy and calls Dany "moon of my life" and the moon in Dothraki culture is a dragon egg. So, hatching eggs is definitely on people's mind. At least with Drogo and some people in Asshai.

The Myrish wizard told Euron that he needed a year to hatch an eggs. Targaryens used to put eggs in the crib with babies. So, Dany incubating the eggs across the Dothraki Sea may be a relevant step.

So, it seems to me that Illyrio wanted to please Drogo and some people in Asshai by going through the magical motions to "hatch an egg."

I think Dany was given

Then why give them?

Because he made a lot of money from brokering the marriage between Dany and Drogo. He bought her 3 beautiful fossilized ornaments from Asshai and gave them to her on her wedding. the sign for house Targaryen is a dragon, so the eggs would be the perfect gift. Dany is royalty and has been living with Illyrio for a while now. He thinks she is a very beautiful princess, more beautiful than his late wife Serra, so beautiful that he considered breaking into her bed chamber and sleeping with her before the marriage. So he wanted to give this beautiful dragon princess a nice wedding gift to make her happy before he sent her out to die on the Dothraki sea. essentially his reasons are exactly what he said at the wedding. there is no hidden agenda or anything.

Illyrio aren't putting all their (dragon) eggs in one basket. Viserys with his Dothraki army might end up successfully invading Westeros. Daenerys and Drogo might live happily ever after and spawn a dozen Khal Aegos. Aegon might succeed in uniting everybody behind his super claim to the Iron Throne. I don't think they want any of them to fail, but they're not depending on Viserys or Daenerys succeeding, as these are kind of long shots.

The dragon eggs are just really expensive wedding gifts. For all we know, Aegon has one too, which he's using as a paperweight.

Aegon has a dragon egg? can you quote it somewhere, i dont remember reading it..

Archived