[Book spoilers] Whats the big event going to be in S05E09?

Bettley

e9 will be more like s1 and s3, where there were a bunch of stories that had climaxes. I think jon's stabbing should happen at the end of e9, so dany and the pit should either happen right before that scene, or the episode before because that is a great episode ender.

Having Daznak Pit just before Daggers in the Dark could work for me.

You have the huge CGI scene of the Pit and viewers will feel like it's the episode ending and then... what ? Why the hell are we going back to the Wall ? It's slow... oh, shit, Jon making a speech about betraying his vows... oh shit !!!!!

That could work as hell... that being said, I think daggers in the dark will be episode 10 and the scene will either end on a close-up of Mel's face or Jon's eyes (or Ghost) going white.

I like the idea of Jon getting stabbed at the end of episode 9, but I feel like that pacing would be too fast. Plus if Jon getting stabbed, the Walk of Shame, and Daznak's Pit are all in one episode, that would be epic to the point to where my skull would explode like Prince Oberyn. Also Jon has a load of storyline to get through before being stabbed like:

- Stannis offering Jon legitimacy as the Lord of Winterfell

- Jon being selected as Commander of the Night's Watch

- Jon sending Sam and Gilly to Oldtown and beheading Janos Slynt

- Jon's interactions with Melisandre and the Burning of Mance/Rattleshirt

- Jon telling Stannis to get northern forces and Melisandre choosing to stay at the wall

- Jon learning of Melisandre's visions (The Daggers in the Dark) and sending Mance to find "Arya Stark"

- Jon hearing word of Stannis's victory at Deepwood Motte

- Jon negotiating with Tormund about the windings coming over the wall

- Jon receiving the letter from Ramsay about Stannis being stuck in the snow

This would be my concern as well, that there is so much Wall material to cover - never mind the Bolton's side of the story - and I find it hard to imagine that can all happen in 8 episodes and everyone is in place for the Battle of Winterfell by ep 9.

Through the magic of Stan-o-vision I just tend to view Jon's material in a a "so what's Stannis at then?" way :blushing:

I really want the material to be drawn out as much as possible here but it's going to get extremely messsy trying to pace the Westeros and Essos material against each other.

I'm still torn about what I want. I really don't like the idea of s5 ending with jon's stabbing, so I'm going to try to work around that.

e9 will be more like s1 and s3, where there were a bunch of stories that had climaxes. I think jon's stabbing should happen at the end of e9, so dany and the pit should either happen right before that scene, or the episode before because that is a great episode ender.

I like the idea of this episode starting with theon's sample chapter or maybe him arriving to stannis and more battle set-up. then we can have cersei's walk of shame. then maybe some other event, bran maybe. sansa?

manderleys and freys march out and stannis prepares for battle. this is the last we see of that story this episode. then barristan, but finish with the ides of marsh.

I am in love with my idea that jon gets stabbed in this episode, then e10 starts with a shot of jon's body with warg eyes. this allows e9 to have the emotional impact it should, but doesn't leave people a whole year of wondering/being depressed about jon.

also, e10 could continue or wrap up the battle of winterfell, or at least the village.

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Jon's stabbing should be the last part of the Northern ark, nothing more. In the past seasons I would have agreed that they needed to end the season on a high, positive note, because most of the revelations were bad. Not now. People have become accustomed to the way Game of Thrones works, or at least the way D&D write it. Why did episode 9 fall short this season?? It had nowhere near the impact of Blackwater. Because people didn't care about the characters at the wall. The only one there that has a following is Jon Snow and like everyone said (and thought) Jon can't be killed, he's the hero. The same with Daenerys. So, overwhelmingly people think that these 2 (and Tyrion) are safe. At the same time they expect to get a big "surprising" death in episode 9. And you know what? for 4 seasons that's what they've got... I've seen people calling GOT predictable in its unpredictability, that needs to change.

The perfect way would be to have the Battle of Ice in episode 9, maybe make it seem like Stannis is in real peril (he kind of is), make the Boltons seem clear favorites to win the battle (or the other way around, to make unsullied think that the turnaround is Stannis biting it) ... and then surprise: not show the way the battle ends, not showing them that Stannis or Ramsay die. In episode 10 we get the pink letter (I see them taking it out completely, but it would make for a great mystery on TV).... so the huge death from episode 9 would be moved to ep. 10. And trust me nobody would believe that Jon is in danger, it would be the biggest shock of the show, bigger than Ned or the Red Wedding. Yes, end the series exactly like that, on a horrible note. It will not last long, the rumors will spread that we didn't see him die, that he might be alive... a perfect storm of online comments. I don't even think the white warging eyes are necessary. Honestly they would be fools to do it any other way.

It's about time the Northern arc and Jon get precedence compared to Dany, her flight should be at the beginning of episode 10. Of course we need to think that they will also have arcs for Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya, the Martells.... at least half of them will be completely made up, some of them may contain huge surprises. Although nothing will compare with the Ides of Marsh.

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Jon's stabbing should be the last part of the Northern ark, nothing more. In the past seasons I would have agreed that they needed to end the season on a high, positive note, because most of the revelations were bad. Not now. People have become accustomed to the way Game of Thrones works, or at least the way D&D write it. Why did episode 9 fall short this season?? It had nowhere near the impact of Blackwater. Because people didn't care about the characters at the wall. The only one there that has a following is Jon Snow and like everyone said (and thought) Jon can't be killed, he's the hero. The same with Daenerys. So, overwhelmingly people think that these 2 (and Tyrion) are safe. At the same time they expect to get a big "surprising" death in episode 9. And you know what? for 4 seasons that's what they've got... I've seen people calling GOT predictable in its unpredictability, that needs to change.

The perfect way would be to have the Battle of Ice in episode 9, maybe make it seem like Stannis is in real peril (he kind of is), make the Boltons seem clear favorites to win the battle (or the other way around, to make unsullied think that the turnaround is Stannis biting it) ... and then surprise: not show the way the battle ends, not showing them that Stannis or Ramsay die. In episode 10 we get the pink letter (I see them taking it out completely, but it would make for a great mystery on TV).... so the huge death from episode 9 would be moved to ep. 10. And trust me nobody would believe that Jon is in danger, it would be the biggest shock of the show, bigger than Ned or the Red Wedding. Yes, end the series exactly like that, on a horrible note. It will not last long, the rumors will spread that we didn't see him die, that he might be alive... a perfect storm of online comments. I don't even think the white warging eyes are necessary. Honestly they would be fools to do it any other way.

It's about time the Northern arc and Jon get precedence compared to Dany, her flight should be at the beginning of episode 10. Of course we need to think that they will also have arcs for Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya, the Martells.... at least half of them will be completely made up, some of them may contain huge surprises. Although nothing will compare with the Ides of Marsh.

THIS. I agree a lot with the idea of leaving the conclusion of the Battle of Winterfell until after the Pink Letter. The way I see it:

Episode 9

- Battle at the crofter's village , Freys go through the icey lake (?)

- Jon lets all the Wildlings through the wall

- End at Winterfell with Roose on the upper hand

Episode 10

- Pink letter

- Show conclusion of Battle of Winterfell

- Daggers in the dark

The season will close with Dany mounting Drogon & flying off into the sky. Viewers will be left stunned.

Her walk from "Dragonstone" to being greated by the Dothraki while eating a horse with Drogon would make for an amazing returning story for Dany in S6E01.

Bayard, on 29 Jul 2014 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm not saying that the season has to end on a positive note, just that it shouldn't end on such a downer. I think jon "dying" would be something that effects people really strongly, and having 10 months to sit on that isn't a good thing. i know book readers have been sitting on it for 3 years now, but we tend not to complain as much about deaths. It is just to big of a cliffhanger to end on.

The only thing I'm fairly confident about is Jon getting stabbed will be in ep9 rather than ep10. Without all the extra book detail that won't be present in the show, it'd seem far too nihilistic to end the season with Jon getting stabbed. But if that happens in ep9, then they can move on to whatever happens to him next in ep10, or at least make it clear that he'll be coming back.

And so, to keep the timelines straight and continue the trend of no flashbacks, I think the battle of winterfell will also happen in ep9. I don't think it will be an all-episode affair though, and will probably also have Draznak's Pit in. The Walk of Shame I think is ep10 material, there's just so much Kings Landing stuff to get through beforehand.

I'm not saying that the season has to end on a positive note, just that it shouldn't end on such a downer. I think jon "dying" would be something that effects people really strongly, and having 10 months to sit on that isn't a good thing. i know book readers have been sitting on it for 3 years now, but we tend not to complain as much about deaths. It is just to big of a cliffhanger to end on.

And we have much more clues about it not being definitive than they'll do.

Arkash, on 29 Jul 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

Having Daznak Pit just before Daggers in the Dark could work for me.

You have the huge CGI scene of the Pit and viewers will feel like it's the episode ending and then... what ? Why the hell are we going back to the Wall ? It's slow... oh, shit, Jon making a speech about betraying his vows... oh shit !!!!!

That could work as hell... that being said, I think daggers in the dark will be episode 10 and the scene will either end on a close-up of Mel's face or Jon's eyes (or Ghost) going white.

that could work, but I can't see them not using the pit scene as an episode ender. but I wouldn't be disappointed if the pit was right before the ides of marsh.

In se5 09 I am thinking Dany flying off on her pit

E10 then may deal with the aftermath, eg Barristan arresting Hizdahr and a big question as to where she's gone ands she dead. The Dothraki sea will break in the season for season 6

They can only really do one big battle per season, so I expect the beginnings of battle of Winterfell this season with an 'inconclusive' finish, perhaps in e8. They will have to do battle of Mereen next season. Either that or roles are reversed but Jon snow getting stabbed is the best way to keep up the tradition of shocks

Then I expect e10 to start with mysterious pink letter, and the series to finish with Jon Snow getting mass stabbed and as someone said his eyes turning Wight style Orell style (and youtube compilation videos of women screaming to follow ala RW). I would like to see smoking blood but doubt we'd get that. I expect Alliser Thorne will fill the Bowen marsh role...

Basically, WoS e8, Dany Pit E9 and Ides of Marsh (lol) e10

Other big events include Janos Slynt beheaded about e5 to show Jon is a badass. I will cheer as much as in the books I'm sure. As for Brans vision, Knight of Laughing Tree about e4 or so, Raven flight about e6, Ned weir wood e8 and Tower of Joy e10 at about the same time as Ides of Marsh

From Feast and Dance there is one Big Gosh Wow! CGI scene....

Better question is what will be the big event S6E9?

So far it has been to alternate a battle every other season , The Breaking of the Siege of Meereen , we know is coming, maybe?

But that would seem to occur to early in S6 ... then we are in uncharted waters.

People have become accustomed to the way Game of Thrones works, or at least the way D&D write it. Why did episode 9 fall short this season?? It had nowhere near the impact of Blackwater. Because people didn't care about the characters at the wall. The only one there that has a following is Jon Snow and like everyone said (and thought) Jon can't be killed, he's the hero. The same with Daenerys. So, overwhelmingly people think that these 2 (and Tyrion) are safe. At the same time they expect to get a big "surprising" death in episode 9. And you know what? for 4 seasons that's what they've got... I've seen people calling GOT predictable in its unpredictability, that needs to change.

While I don't think episode 9 necessarily fell short, I agree with the sentiment, and this is exactly why I think that the Battle of Meereen will not get much focus, at least compared to other late season events (Daznak's Pit, the Walk of Shame, the Battle of Winterfell).

For instance, let's look at the amount of significant characters involved in each of the major battles that have either been presented already or will be soon:

Blackwater: Tyrion, Cersei, Sansa, Joffrey, The Hound, Stannis, Davos

The Wall: Jon, Sam, Tormund, Ygritte,

Winterfell: Theon, Ramsay, Roose, Stannis, Asha/Yara

Meereen: Tyrion, Jorah, Barristan, Victarion?

When there is a situation like the Battle of Meereen where all of the major characters are on the same side fighting against a threat that has not been built up in any decent way (the astapor/yunkai armies), the impact is entirely lost. This is especially true since Victarion will likely be cut, and even if he isn't, will probably not have a whole lot of focus on his storyline.

So from the view of someone making the series, there wouldn't be much point in devoting a lot of time and money to this battle if there aren't really any stakes behind it.

Basically, unless the Battle of Meereen ends in TWOW with some game-changing twist or they put a lot of focus on Victarion next year (both pretty unlikely), I wouldn't expect to see a whole lot of it.

Well, for me the moment that surprised me most of the entire story was the High Sparrow emprisoning Cersei and her mad race to try to get out of the Sept.

This will definitly not be in episode 9 (more likely 7 or 8) but I hope as hell they do the scene justice !

I really hope that the show doesn't mirror the books in leaving so many cliffhangers unresolved at the end of season 5. I hate it when shows do that - it feels like they don't trust me to care about the story enough to tell it in a satisfying manner. Anyway, GoT hasn't ever been a show for cliffhanger endings.

I think the show will resolve the outcome of the Battle of Winterfell (probably episode 9) and I think we'll also see Jon's post-stabbing status (probably episode 10). I think the events surrounding the Pink Letter will probably be changed enough in the adaptation that it won't be included.

The Battle of Mereen should be resolved in season 5. Most people don't like Dany's time in Mereen. It is never going to work out, it is frustrating, she doesn't make progress. If the season ends at Pit, Dany's arc will be: governing is hard, Dany flies away. We already had Dany's governing is hard arc in season 4, so... An awesome CGI Battle of Mereen in season 6 won't salve the frustration of being mired down in Mereen from seasons 4-6. And holding back the battle of Mereen means no satisfying season end for any of the Dany-adjacent characters. That's a lot of characters with their season arcs unresolved; and then season 6 has to open up, ratchet the tension it lost over the season break back up to finally have the Mereen battle, and then by the time the battle aftermath is done, do Dany and her surrounding characters even have time to do much else in season 6? When does she go to Westeros?

I really hope that the show doesn't mirror the books in leaving so many cliffhangers unresolved at the end of season 5. I hate it when shows do that - it feels like they don't trust me to care about the story enough to tell it in a satisfying manner. Anyway, GoT hasn't ever been a show for cliffhanger endings.

I think the show will resolve the outcome of the Battle of Winterfell (probably episode 9) and I think we'll also see Jon's post-stabbing status (probably episode 10). I think the events surrounding the Pink Letter will probably be changed enough in the adaptation that it won't be included.

The Battle of Mereen should be resolved in season 5. Most people don't like Dany's time in Mereen. It is never going to work out, it is frustrating, she doesn't make progress. If the season ends at Pit, Dany's arc will be: governing is hard, Dany flies away. We already had Dany's governing is hard arc in season 4, so... An awesome CGI Battle of Mereen in season 6 won't salve the frustration of being mired down in Mereen from seasons 4-6. And holding back the battle of Mereen means no satisfying season end for any of the Dany-adjacent characters. That's a lot of characters with their season arcs unresolved; and then season 6 has to open up, ratchet the tension it lost over the season break back up to finally have the Mereen battle, and then by the time the battle aftermath is done, do Dany and her surrounding characters even have time to do much else in season 6? When does she go to Westeros?

Maybe Daznak's Pit will be the last scene of Episode 8 and the Battle of Meereen in Episode 9 with Dany meeting the Khalasar in Episode 10

Stannis has had the most big battles so far. I like the guy enough but we need somebody else. I suspect the riverlands story is going to be cut. So we have KL, the Wall, Dorne, and Meereen plus whatever Tyrion is doing. I wonder if they will skip the young griff. Have they announced if Kevan will be back?

Archived