The Problems With Season 4 (Show & Book Spoilers)

jaimereborn

That Annara Snow and Colonel Green don't feel the same as you proves that even within the Sansa sub-fandom (is that what I should call it?) there is contention over this point. So really we should wait until her characterization is contextualized by a follow-up scene in s5 before we get too panicky...

Certainly doesn't sound like they are saying it's book Sansa.

I'm not expecting Book Sansa to start walking around in a raven-feather dress either, but so what? That is, again, not the same thing as filler. It may be a departure from the (now unwritten) books, but that remains to be seen.

As for the "Evil Queen" stuff, it's funny, but there's really no basis for it in her actual one line of dialogue.

Filler is things that are just filling in time with what they consider more interesting than the book story. Or just filling in time. The gaps are the journey from point to point (the main plot points). In other words, the gaps were not there, they created them.

Filler is things that are just filling in time with what they consider more interesting than the book story.

No, that's not filler. Rewriting "the journey from point to point" is just that, a different telling of the story. Filler is material created merely to fill space, and which doesn't advance the story meaningfully. Craster's Keep, fundamentally, was filler, as it clearly existed mainly because the structure of the season left Jon and Bran with little to nothing to do until the very end if you were relying solely on the text.

Seeing as we have no real idea of what Sansa's story is, if they want to arrive at the same plot points with a different approach to her characterization, that's not filler.

No, that's not filler. Rewriting "the journey from point to point" is just that, a different telling of the story. Filler is material created merely to fill space, and which doesn't advance the story meaningfully. Craster's Keep, fundamentally, was filler, as it clearly existed mainly because the structure of the season left Jon and Bran with little to nothing to do until the very end if you were relying solely on the text.

Seeing as we have no real idea of what Sansa's story is, if they want to arrive at the same plot points with a different approach to her characterization, that's not filler.

I will totally admit that Craster's Keep was filler...but it was fun filler. And it was good filler in that it helped flesh out two of our main characters. So not all filler is a waste.

I still don't see how anyone could call Sansa's final scene 'filler', though. It was extremely necessary to wrap up her season 4 arc.

Nope, disagree with your definition and disagree that much of this is not filler.

Then you disagree with the standard definition. That's why it's "fill"er. It fills gaps.

What you're describing is not filler, it's rewriting. You can have problems with that too (I have in many cases, God knows), but call it by its proper name.

You are making this distinction between rewriting and filler that doesn't exist.

Um, no. Filler is, by definition, rewriting (or, I guess, additional writing), but rewriting is not filler. What you're describing is not addition (filler), it's replacement. Redoing a story is not filler, as it's not filling a gap, it's filling the same space in a different way.

And you just said it was filler.

No, I didn't (though I expected after writing that that you would probably jump on it). "Filler" is that which fills a gap. There is no gap when it's a new story put in place of an old one. The amount of space taken up is the same, more or less. As such, it isn't filler, because its creation was not necessitated by a gap in the story, unlike Craster's (or much of the King's Landing material in season 3).

Archived