Coldhands: Night's Watch or Green Man - or both?

Archmaester Drew

He is definitely a different kind of wight than the blue-eyed dead that the Others control. But is he animated by Bloodraven? Or a revenant of some kind? Cold can certainly preserve clothes, but not if he remained active. The fibres would fall apart over the millennia. But, yes, new clothes would certainly help when interacting with the living.

He is absolutely associated with the Night's Watch.

:)

Well, wasn't Bloodraven a member of the Night's Watch for a time?

Well, wasn't Bloodraven a member of the Night's Watch for a time?

Indeed, he was sent to the Wall from the King's Landing Dungeons as part of the honor guard to Aemon in 233 AC. He later became the Lord Comander of the Night's Watch before he disappeared...

Indeed, he was sent to the Wall from the King's Landing Dungeons as part of the honor guard to Aemon in 233 AC. He later became the Lord Comander of the Night's Watch before he disappeared...

So it could just be that Coldhands is a meat puppet for Bloodraven, and thus it is Bloodraven actually killing the mutineers for breaking their vows. Hmm, do we have any idea how close Bran and co. were to the mutineers? I guess my question is did Coldhands (or Bloodraven) kill the mutineers because they could be a threat to Bran or because they broke their vows?

So it could just be that Coldhands is a meat puppet for Bloodraven, and thus it is Bloodraven actually killing the mutineers for breaking their vows. Hmm, do we have any idea how close Bran and co. were to the mutineers? I guess my question is did Coldhands (or Bloodraven) kill the mutineers because they could be a threat to Bran or because they broke their vows?

Probably both, I'd think.

Coldhands would of been/ will be a costly character to have on screen...

Really? There's only eyes to see. No face. Rag-tag garb. Where's the expense? No prosthetics needed if you do it the traditional theatrical way. Lighting gives the character mystique. I'd trade off flaming snowballs for a character any day. There's no need to include an elk on TV. Having one trained? I'm not sure. CGI? If it doesn't move the story along, is it necessary?

Saving cost had little to do with not showing Coldhands. Hell. It's an f-ing big budget series that's successful.

Coldhands was cut because of how D&D envisage making the book work on TV. If they plan on back-story? I can see where that works. Do I see it taking place? I doubt it because they've kept away from telling any back-story, and that makes the show different again from others.

I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't a wight at all...I know he's undead and has clear characteristics in common with them, such as the black hands, but he doesn't have the eyes which suggests he wasn't reanimated by the force of the Others. Black hands, as he explained, are a side effect of being a walking dead (although Cat and Beric don't have them as far as I recall). I guess he was killed by wights/Others because of what Leaf said about them killing him, but...something else is driving him. I don't know. He is an interesting one for sure.

Coldhands is a former Night's Watch member who took his vows in front of a heart tree and thus is protected against being turned into an undead slave of the Others. See this thread for more info on the theory.

While not a standard wight, I am calling him a Wight Watcher until someone comes up with a better term.

I figure he was a Stark, or one of the Last Hero's companions, or the Last Hero himself. Would actually be kind of cool if he was a Bolton though.

Coldhands is no normal wight the black eyes and him speaking is enough to confirm this.

Some think he might be the last hero because when a cotf leaf says he died/was killed long ago...coming from a cotf that could mean thousands of years ago.

Having said that I also read a theory about coldhands being the man that travelled with BR to the wall when he went.

Yes! Daemon II traveled with him to the wall then later became Coldhands

I believe Coldhands is Benjen Stark who was killed while ranging and was resurrected in much the same way as Donderrion and Stoneheart by the Three-Eyed Crow (who, of course, is a sorceror) as an assistant to bring Bran to him. This explains how Coldhands can be autonomous. Coldhands explained himself why his hands are black, hard, cold, etc. He said that when the heart stops the blood congeals. This is simply saying that severe frostbite would set in quickly in the cold North in a dead body.

I believe Coldhands is Benjen Stark who was killed while ranging and was resurrected in much the same way as Donderrion and Stoneheart by the Three-Eyed Crow (who, of course, is a sorceror) as an assistant to bring Bran to him. This explains how Coldhands can be autonomous. Coldhands explained himself why his hands are black, hard, cold, etc. He said that when the heart stops the blood congeals. This is simply saying that severe frostbite would set in quickly in the cold North in a dead body.

But Leaf said in, referrence to Coldhands, that, "They killed him long ago."

Benjen has only been missing for two years at most.

But Leaf said in, referrence to Coldhands, that, "They killed him long ago."

Benjen has only been missing for two years at most.

I thought that upon first reading Leaf's statement as well. Then I quickly realized that the idea that because Leaf happens to be long-lived her "long ago' statement automatically has to mean so long ago that Benjen absolutely can't be Coldhands is just as large of an assumption as anything else. Thus, I don't find Leaf's "long ago" statement to be compelling evidence against Benjen being Coldhands at this point. In the end, Leaf's "long ago" will mean exactly what Martin intended it to - no more, no less.

• 3 months later...

Archived