Wow, I never noticed that v. 7

Rhaenys_Targaryen

This is shortly before Coldhands shows up with his ravens...

He turned back to the weirwood and studied the carved face a moment. It is not the face we saw, he admitted to himself. The tree's not half as big as the one at Whitetree. The red eyes wept blood, and he didn't remember that either. Clumsily, Sam sank to his knees. "Old gods, hear my prayer. The Seven were my father's gods but I said my words to you when I joined the Watch. Help us now. I fear we might be lost. We're hungry too, and so cold. I don't know what gods I believe in now, but . . . please, if you're there, help us. Gilly has a little son." That was all that he could think to say. The dusk was deepening, the leaves of the weirwood rustling softly, waving like a thousand blood-red hands. Whether Jon's gods had heard him or not he could not say.

And this is right after he tries to stab the wight that had been Small Paul. Samwell, Gilly and Monster's situation would have been hopeless without the intervention of Colhands and his ravens...

Sam's wail made a white mist in the black air.

Samwell II, Storm

Oh and dig this from the scene right before the ravens feast...

Paul's hands were coal, his face was milk, his eyes shone a bitter blue. Hoarfrost whitened his beard, and on one shoulder hunched a raven, pecking at his cheek, eating the dead white flesh.

Samwell II, Storm

I could have sworn we discussed it here or maybe small questions. Somebody recently opened a thread about it here...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/117793-tyrion-and-arya-meeting-on-the-kingsroad/

Hmm.. It is possible they missed one another, as none of them mentions having seen the other. Tyrion would have recognized Yoren, and Arya would have mentioned seeing a highborn man (Tyrion is especially recognizable) guarded by some 300 mountainclan men..

Perhaps Arya left the KG a few hours before Tyrion passed there?

They still think me a turncloak. That was a bitter draft to drink, but Jon could not blame them. He was a bastard, after all. Everyone knew that bastards were wanton and treacherous by nature, having been born of lust and deceit.

Jon VII, Storm

Since Jon isn't wanton and treacherous, perhaps he's not a bastard.

Maester Aemon had sent a lot of birds . . . not to one king, but to four. Wildlings at the gate, the message ran. The realm in danger. Send all the help you can to Castle Black, Even as far as Oldtown and the Citadel the ravens flew, and to half a hundred mighty lords in their castles. The northern lords offered their best hope, so to them Aemon had sent two birds. To the Umbers and the Boltons, to Castle Cerwyn and Torrhen's Square, Karhold and Deepwood Motte, to Bear Island, Oldcastle, Widow's Watch, White Harbor, Barrowton, and the Rills, to the mountain fastnesses of the Liddles, the Burleys, the Norreys, the Harclays, and the Wulls, the black birds brought their plea. Wildlings at the gate. The north in danger. Come with all your strength.

Jon VII, Storm

But not to Skagos...

Wouldn't the Wall be to the north? So they would be covering east, south and west..

Well yeah, nothing to see here. If that were 'angles' of a round tower, I see the joke/interesting tidbit. But the round tower still has sides as in the four sides in the four directions.

Tyrions musing over Petyr's accounts suggests that the Antler Men were in Petyr's camp. Now Petyr obviously had no desire to aid Stannis. Of course Varys is the one who informed on them but he had no desire to aid Stannis either. Is it possible he framed them to chip away at Petyr's influence? Such action would also increase the Lannisters's ability to pay the Crown's debt, which would be of benefit, eventually to Aegon.

In Dance, the wildlings cross the Wall and hand over their treasures:

Amber pendants, golden torques, jeweled daggers, silver brooches set with gem-stones, bracelets, rings, niello cups and golden goblets, warhorns and drinkinghorns, a green jade comb, a necklace of freshwater pearls ... all yielded up and noted down by Bowen Marsh. One man surrendered a shirt of silver scales that had surely been made for some great lord. Another produced a broken sword with three sapphires in the hilt.

And there were queerer things: a toy mammoth made of actual mammoth hair, an ivory phallus,a helm made from a unicorn’s head, complete with horn.

...including a dildo.

Archived