What age should you be to begin reading ASoIaF?

Visenya's Sword

I read the books at 14 years old and I was mature and appreciated the context and story of the book. It all depends on the person and the adults in charge of the children. Though if she is told no she can easily find it else where and the context is no more inappropriate then what she can already see on t.v.

This one sentence manages to not only draw direct causality between "creepy kids" (whatever that might be) and reading ASOIAF, but also to call those parents who allow their kids to read such literature (and thus become "creeper kids") bad parents.

Which is a blanket statement, and so is actually worse than singling out any specific person and accusing them of being bad parents.

I don't think that is a reasonable interpretation of that one sentence. Sorry.

If you really want to sit there and debate D&D's latest rape scene with a kid who's not even legally able to vote, go ahead. The rest of us will wait politely on the sidelines. I don't go nosing around in children's literature and the YA section, either. Books are culture, and culture is a means of connecting people to each other. Believe it or not, age is a factor in who I want to connect with. Call me weird.

It's always amusing to see peoples opint of views on topics like this. They mostly are middle of road, let her read if you deem her mature enough, to Hell yeah loet her do anything, to not till she is 18!

Would people also not let kids read Lord of the Flies? The Learning Tree? Romeo and Juliet?

Just a few examples of great literature that also has violence and sex.

If you really want to sit there and debate D&D's latest rape scene with a kid who's not even legally able to vote, go ahead. The rest of us will wait politely on the sidelines. I don't go nosing around in children's literature and the YA section, either. Books are culture, and culture is a means of connecting people to each other. Believe it or not, age is a factor in who I want to connect with. Call me weird.

I truly don't know if you are trying to troll someone.

I started reading ASOIAF when I was 14.

Also, legal age? WTF? You mean the American legal age? The Swiss one? Italian?

I truly don't know if you are trying to insult someone. But his comments (unlike yours) are addressed to the topic.

Yep. A guy who says that the parents who let their under ager children read ASOIAF are bad parents, well, that's kind of extremly stupid. Extremly.

In fact, because he is insulting many parents and many children who are actually far more mature than him.

Yep. A guy who says that the parents who let their under ager children read ASOIAF are bad parents, well, that's kind of extremly stupid. Extremly.

In fact, because he is insulting many parents and many children who are actually far more mature than him.

What wtf? Are you just a troll? Why do you do this? OMG

-guy who read ASOIAF when he was 14.

Now I've attacked someone. See the difference?

What wtf? Are you just a troll? Why do you do this? OMG

-guy who read ASOIAF when he was 14.

Now I've attacked someone. See the difference?

What difference? You attacked both parents and children who read ASOIAF calling the formers "Bad parents" and the latters, "creepy". Which is, actually, immature and wrong in so many ways.

You are:

(1) Twisting his words

(2) Calling him extremely stupid

(3) Calling him immature.

Yes there are others engaging in similar bad behavior. But you should not emulate them. Rather you should apologize.

What difference? You attacked both parents and children who read ASOIAF calling the formers "Bad parents" and the latters, "creepy". Which is, actually, immature and wrong in so many ways.

You are

(1) Twisting his words

(2) Calling him immature.

Yes, there are others engaged in similar bad behavior. But you should not emulate them. Rather you should apologize.

You are:

(1) Twisting his words

(2) Calling him extremely stupid

(3) Calling him immature.

Yes there are others engaging in similar bad behavior. But you should not emulate them. Rather you should apologize.

This is for real? Why should I apologize?

1- I didn't twist his words. This is what he said:

Part of being a good parent should be creating a child who is socially acceptable, not a creeper kid. And yes, I've talked to kids who've read ASOIAF and they come off pretty creepy.

2- I didn't call him stupid. I said what he said is extremly stupid. And I meant it. What he said is extremly wrong and stupid. I stand by that.

3- Yes, I called him immature. I meant it as well. End of the story.

A reasonable interpretation of what he meant is that parents ought to promote socially-acceptable behavior, and promoting ASOIAF in a 13-year old is unlikely to promote socially acceptable behavior. I did not read it as a claim that all persons who read ASOIAF at 13 automatically become creeps. I don't think that's a reasonable interpretation.

This ? This is simply rewording what he said with a bit less offensive terms.

He never used the word "likely" or anything to that effect. The line was quite simply drawn: Kids who read ASOIAF are creepy - good parents should endeavour to not produce creepy kids. The gist of the argument is then quite simple to see: Parents who let their kids read ASOIAF are bad parents.

Everyone but you seem able to see this. I wonder why...

That's the only reasonable interpretation of those words, and since the author of those words isn't bothering to deny that, I'd say even he agrees to it.

Why on earth are you defending him, anyway ? Can he not speak for himself ?

Archived