A Lion Reborn

Sword of the Morgan

I was thinking about where Jaime's story is going, and it seems rather difficult to predict. However, since I first started reading these books I felt like there was something big coming for Jaime. So I started thinking about what he could end up doing, and I think he seems like a possible candidate to be Azor Ahai (I know, there are many). This has probably been discussed before, but I have not seen it:

Jaime is currently being led by Brienne somewhere, and we assume this is to Lady Stoneheart and the BWB. When they arrive it seems likely that LS is going to put Jaime on trial or be given some kind of task (as Brienne was). I think it plausible that Jaime will be tasked with killing Cersei, much as Brienne was tasked with finding him, a task he will carry out (as the valonquar). Cersei could then be the lion mentioned in the AA legend. Upon Jaime's return to the BWB, I think we may see LS show her vengeful ways and demand him hanged anyway. He demands a trial by combat and LS selects Brienne (I know this is a popular theory in general) as her champion. Jaime could then kill Brienne as Nissa Nissa (whether she lets him or not) by disarming her and plunging Oathkeeper into her heart. LS then immediately orders Jaime killed and a few Brotherhood members slay him. However, upon seeing Oathkeeper become Lightbringer before their eyes, the Brotherhood changes their tune about Jaime. Whether it's Stoneheart herself giving the kiss of life to Jaime or perhaps Thoros killing LS and reviving Jaime, I could see Jaime being reborn to claim Lightbringer and march north to defeat the Others.

Now I know that Jaime is probably not a part of the Targaryen line (unless you believe A +J = C and J), but there are no guarantees that the PTWP and AA are the same thing, or that the Targs were even correct about this factor. Also, I'm not sure what would be the salt and smoke in this resurrection. The smoke could be coming from Lightbringer as it begins to light up and emit heat, but as for the salt I'm just not sure what would fit (perhaps other people have ideas).

Anyway, I would certainly not say that I think this is likely, I just think it's possible and would be a very fulfilling direction to take a character that I think has been developed very well and seems worthy of playing an important role in the rest of the story.

Thanks for reading.

• 5 months later...

I think something similar may happen, but I thought Lady Stoneheart would send Jaime on a different quest. Stoneheart has another goal other than revenge: finding her daughters. While Brienne has been gone, Hyle and Pod have been with the BWB, and they have all the information necessary to figure out where the Sandor is. Remember, the BWB knows Arya was last seen with him, and is very interested in finding him. To capture such a dangerous warrior they would need the greatest swordsman in the realm. Jaime will have to bullshit them into thinking he still is, and then he'll be sent to the Quiet Isle.

I like your idea, but that would have Cercei dying quite early in TWOW, which sounds too soon to me.

This is a nice theory but although I grew to very much like Jaime and the path he's going at the moment, I don't think he is AA/PTWP but rather a normal human being who is struggeling to do the right thing but somehow is always seen as the bad guy. By the people of Westeros at least...

Don't get me wrong, I like your thinking, but in my opinion Jaime being AA/PTWP would take away the greatness of his character.

I don't think LS is going to use a trial by combat....something tells me that she's just out for revenge and doesn't give a damn about following the rules of the realm.

There is a weird triangle going on between LS, Jaime, and Brienne, with Cercei waiting in the wings.

Somehow, I believe Brienne will end up being killed and Jaime will want vengeance for her death. GRRM has been slowly building their relationship for 3 books now, and it's been the main catalyst for Jaime's "good guy" turn. It would be a waste for Jaime to end up killing her, and would ruin what has been built up IMO.

Personally, I think LS will be present when the two square off, they'll refuse to fight one another, and LS will end up killing Brienne, which will be the final lynchpin in Jaime's character turn. Jaime will end up killing LS over it and go on a rampage, which will end with a confrontation with Cercei.

Whatever happens, I do think Brienne will die and it will complete Jaime's good guy turn. After that, who knows.

I am with you that Jamie's arc is an interesting one. Considering he is an oathbreaker and a kingslayer he might have a chance of redemption. How that redemption will happen is still very much in the dark. Could be that Jamie will have a *hand*(oh the pun) in helping a Targaryen reclaim the throne. Jamie himself obviously feels inadequate to the legendary kingsguards of old, maybe Jamie will turn out to be one of the greatest in the end, returning the Targaryen dynasty to the throne?

Jamie going rogue with Brienne is all very exiting, but very out of character for both of them. Brienne - true knight on a road to acceptance, Jamie - on a road to redemption.

Archived