Your Least Favourite Characters (Results)

Mr. ASoIaF

It's an artifact of this forum, although Dany has more haters in the general public than I suspect the author intended or would have hoped.

Yeah, these forum polls aren't exactly representative of the general population.

I've only ever seen a huge body of Dany hate on this forum. Is it all because of what she had done in Slaver's Bay? (Nobody liked Slaver's Bay anyway so I'm surprised so many care). Is it because of how sluggish her chapters were in Dance? Is it some way to assert the identity of book readers who side with Stannis the Mannis? A combination of all three? From what I've seen, over half of the people on this forum want to Stannis to stick her face in the flames before beheading her with Lightbringer.

Wow, Dany is more hated than Cersei? Maybe I underestimated people's intense loathing of her.

I also did a poll on people's favourite characters and Dany was 7th. Ahead of Cersei. I think her and Cersei are kinda 50/50 with love/hate. On this forum at least

Come on, how's that Jon got more votes than Effing Tywin the butcher cousin-banger and the mountain?

And how comes that LF is not the most hated... He should be first in the list of both Lannister and Stark supporters, maybe even Stannis supporters too, after all he brought the crushing defeat on the blackwater.

Come on, how's that Jon got more votes than Effing Tywin the butcher cousin-banger and the mountain?

And how comes that LF is not the most hated... He should be first in the list of both Lannister and Stark supporters, maybe even Stannis supporters too, after all he brought the crushing defeat on the blackwater.

A lot were voting as least favourite = least interesting. Which is a fair.interpretation.

I've only ever seen a huge body of Dany hate on this forum. Is it all because of what she had done in Slaver's Bay? (Nobody liked Slaver's Bay anyway so I'm surprised so many care). Is it because of how sluggish her chapters were in Dance? Is it some way to assert the identity of book readers who side with Stannis the Mannis? A combination of all three? From what I've seen, over half of the people on this forum want to Stannis to stick her face in the flames before beheading her with Lightbringer.

I think it's mostly to do with readers being caught off-guard seeing Dany trying - and failing - to rule. She's a teenage girl with the weight of the world on her shoulders and absolutely no experience in ruling, and yet she's held to an impossible standard because this sort of story is never told (even GRRM originally only intended to tell it through flashbacks).

A lot were voting as least favourite = least interesting. Which is a fair.interpretation.

I just noticed this thread and this was my question. Least favorite character in which sense? For instance, Ramsay being #1 makes perfect sense if we're talking about horrible, evil, despicable people we hate as people; but Ramsay is not boring or a badly written character, IMO. Same with Littlefinger or Tywin, people I really hate.

OTOH, there are characters we just consider lame and/or dull and/or silly, like Darkstar.

I think it's mostly to do with readers being caught off-guard seeing Dany trying - and failing - to rule. She's a teenage girl with the weight of the world on her shoulders and absolutely no experience in ruling, and yet she's held to an impossible standard because this sort of story is never told (even GRRM originally only intended to tell it through flashbacks).

Actually, I find it interesting that he shows her failing at ruling...I simply wish that her chapters in the last book had been more interesting to read. Mind you, I don't hate her at all. I just didn't care for her story in the last book.

I'm sticking solely to characters I don't like to read about rather than just ones I find evil (though being evil usually doesn't help, especially when they're not supposed to be):

My first picks would be pretty much everyone in the Essos story line. Jorah, Daario, Barristan, Drogo, and MAYBE Dany (it depends on where Martin takes her character in the next books) are specific examples.

Aside from them... probably Loras (his brothers are way cooler), Thorne, Ramsay... and that's about it, really. Roose is kinda up there due to being a cartoon character half the time, but he has just enough redeeming characteristics (from a narrative point of view, not a moral one) to keep him off my "worst" lists.

Archived