Dorne Appreciation Thread

Chebyshov

Argh, I found the quote: "My paramour, Ellaria, she would find you very interesting. You should come to the brothel and meet her".

This innocent quote proves that Elaria indeed lives in the Brothel, or works there. Because Varys and Oberyn are both in KL, and hence, he should say something like "you should come to our quarters and meet her". But noooo... he HAS to LEAVE KL in order to meet her. So, either she has moved there or she's found a work there and Varys might visit her during office hours :/

Or maybe Elaria is some kind of bomb that might explode and kill everybody if she doesn't have sex every two hours. Or her heart probably stops if she doesn't orgasm regularly. And as Oberyn is now working as a Master of Whatever, she needs to stay in the brothel. "As a precaution".

No. That's why they already did. See above.

And nope, it's not that they are literally mad, I was kinda joking. But yes, I've read people defending Dorne in S5. I really lost all hopes with Dorne and everything else, to be honest.

Oh no it's chill dude I totally agree. I was excited for the possibility of Dorne up until S4 came around. After seeing how they treated Oberyn and Ellaria my expectations are 99% despair and 1% hope for Doran's character.

Do you think they're going to try to sexy-fy Doran?? I wouldn't put it past them.

You know how they said that Daeron I treated war like it was a game? I think Doran deep inside is the same. He assumes that his calculated plans will be pulled off without any collateral damage. Then Viserys gets killed after going bonkers, then he assumes Dany will take Quentyn as her king simply because he's a prince of Dorne, then he assumes the Sand Snakes will do exactly what he says.

That was before he and Arianne had their mutual "Oh fuck, my bad" conversation.

Yeah, you just inspired me to reread the chapter, and I tend to think you may be correct.

"He comes with sellswords, but no dragons," Prince Doran had told her, the night the raven came. "The Golden Company is the best and largest of the free companies, but ten thousand mercenaries cannot hope to win the Seven Kingdoms. Elia’s son… I would weep for joy if some part of my sisterhad survived, but what proof do we have that this is Aegon?" His voice broke when he said that. "Where are the dragons?" he asked. "Where is Daenerys?" and Arianne knew that he was really saying, "Where is my son?"

I'm starting to think he wouldn't have sent Quent if not for the report of dragons anyway (that's Arianne's f**king code word to rally the troops even). But Doran's primary concern is certainly the safety of his son, and the flimsiness of this claim. It doesn't seem like he was suggesting a marriage at all, and Arianne's thoughts about Aegon don't imply that she'd love to give up Dorne. In fact, her thought about Dany's inaction towards Viserys is rather telling to where her own head is at:

Perhaps, thought Arianne, or perhaps Daenerys realized that once her brother was crowned and wed to me, she would be doomed to spend the rest of her life sleeping in a tent and smelling like a horse.

This does not seem like a chick who will love to be married off.

You know how they said that Daeron I treated war like it was a game? I think Doran deep inside is the same. He assumes that his calculated plans will be pulled off without any collateral damage. Then Viserys gets killed after going bonkers, then he assumes Dany will take Quentyn as her king simply because he's a prince of Dorne, then he assumes the Sand Snakes will do exactly what he says.

:agree: But he's leaned his lesson. I think he plans for the Sand Snakes to go a little rouge, as long as it's not too much.

Do you think they're going to try to sexy-fy Doran?? I wouldn't put it past them.

The show version of the Water Gardens won't be for kids, it will be just naked women bathing, and Doran will be the sexy lifeguard, Baywatch-style

He'll also get a lot of lap dances on his chair, while delivering exposition to a puzzled Hotah

The show version of the Water Gardens won't be for kids, it will be just naked women bathing, and Doran will be the sexy lifeguard, Baywatch-style

He'll also get a lot of lap dances on his chair, while delivering exposition to a puzzled Hotah

Yes and he will be healed through the power of sex

There is a weird dichotomy there in Doran's character: extreme caution with the lives of his smallfolk, but less than that for the welfare of his kin. Not to say he isn't concerned by it, but it's just not as...outright? Idk, not describing it very well but hopefully you get the picture.

That being said, I gotta defend Doran for his expectation that Dany would more than likely go for Quentyn. If he had reached her at any other point in her journey I think she would have jumped at the chance to have an actual ally in Westeros that she could rely on when the time came. It's only because she had already promised Hizdahr on a marriage that she turned down Quentyn, imo

There is a weird dichotomy there in Doran's character: extreme caution with the lives of his smallfolk, but less than that for the welfare of his kin. Not to say he isn't concerned by it, but it's just not as...outright? Idk, not describing it very well but hopefully you get the picture.

Yeah, his treatment of his kids is unusual. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for his convos with Oberyn though. It seems like his brother may have been the only one who ever was privy to his candor. Maybe Arianne now though.

The mental picture of Alex Siddig shirtless with sunglasses on and sunscreen on his nose acting like some southern California surfer sitting on a lifeguard stand and scopin' out all the bodacious babes has got me :lol: :rofl:

Yeah, his treatment of his kids is unusual. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for his convos with Oberyn though. It seems like his brother may have been the only one who ever was privy to his candor. Maybe Arianne now though.

I too would have loved to have seen his and Oberyn's conversations. I love the idea of them, two such very different men but with such thorough understandings of the character of the other, conversing and plotting and cooperating. It's a pity we didn't get Dorne/Areo Hotah earlier to see how they reacted to Robert Baratheon's death together, and how they shifted their game plan accordingly. I think seeing that process work itself out would have given us a really good picture of those two's relationship and how they worked together.

That being said, I gotta defend Doran for his expectation that Dany would more than likely go for Quentyn. If he had reached her at any other point in her journey I think she would have jumped at the chance to have an actual ally in Westeros that she could rely on when the time came. It's only because she had already promised Hizdahr on a marriage that she turned down Quentyn, imo

I get where you're coming from ad i agree with it. What im noticing abou Doran's plans is that they really lack flexibiliy. He sends out Quentyn, but he doesn't make sure to keep communication lines to Essos. He has plenty of spies in King's landing but he couldn't have sent some to Essos? If im sending in my kid to deal with a chick who has 3 weapons of mass destruction, killed thousands and 'liberated' 3 cities, im gonna make sure I get a steady flow of information.

I get where you're coming from ad i agree with it. What im noticing abou Doran's plans is that they really lack flexibiliy. He sends out Quentyn, but he doesn't make sure to keep communication lines to Essos. He has plenty of spies in King's landing but he couldn't have sent some to Essos? If im sending in my kid to deal with a chick who has 3 weapons of mass destruction, killed thousands and 'liberated' 3 cities, im gonna make sure I get a steady flow of information.

Yeah, I agree. It's a really strange omission. Not only in terms of the mission's lack of information flow to and from Essos, but also just how unprepped Quentyn was, and how many Yronwoods were around him. You would think that on such a vital mission Doran would want to get him companions that he could more easily trust.

Makes me think that there is something going on with the Yronwoods that we don't know about yet.

Yeah, I agree. It's a really strange omission. Not only in terms of the mission's lack of information flow to and from Essos, but also just how unprepped Quentyn was, and how many Yronwoods were around him. You would think that on such a vital mission Doran would want to get him companions that he could more easily trust.

Makes me think that there is something going on with the Yronwoods that we don't know about yet.

You know that quote by Jaime, about how Tywin was a glacier and Cersei was wildfire? Well they still had plenty of things in common. Tywin sometimes allowed his grudges and emotions to get the best of him in terms of what's best for his family (No Tyrion! I don't care if you're the one most suited to lead House Lannister, the thing I supposedly care most about, you will NOT get the Rock!) and he was a massive hypocrite when it comes to the whores (Cersei is not into whores, but whoooboy is she into hypocrisy). I have a feeling that Doran is more similar to Oberyn and Arianne than we think.

Arianne seems quite reckless and selfish, but honestly, if Doran was truuuly as careful as he wants to appear, why in the world would he get his family involved in the game of thrones? If he wants justice for Elia and her kids, fine, but you don't utlize your children as pawns in your game.

Your avatar/gif is epic <3

How come I am only noticing this thread now?

Dorne is fucking awesome.

Where should I start?Gender equality on inheriting?No bastard stigma?A good ruler like Doran?

Also it has the most awesome characters there like Arriane Oberyn Martell and of course Ellaria Sand!

Since we're on a Dorne thread here is an amazing t-shirt :

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10616241_1524060154494030_1857044874816730219_n.jpg?oh=25bd1fc96e64c7b418c203ceb57a2b70&oe=5476B8B7&__gda__=1417200861_f85f823a58f2ac17bd5a30835c7b3046

Archived