Why did Drogo Marry Dany?

Snarky

Because Illyrio did not want that. It was a lie to Viserys that he was desperate to hear and Ilyrio had to scrap up all that he could to keep Pentos and he and his fortune from being sacked and burned. He had to know the whord was approaching Pentos for weeks and he was saving Dany and her virginity to use her as a bribe and if the bribe was accepted, a great distraction for Kings Landing at the time.

Hmm but do you think Illyrio would put all his eggs in one basket (no pun intended) with Drogo wanting Dany? Surely he would have had other methods of bargaining with Drogo that could keep him away from Pentos. I think he's far too calculating to relying soley on this child with nothing apart from her name. There are thousands of other attractive women he could have bargained for Drogo to wed too, so I believe it is mainly her lineage Drogo was interested in.

Right I agree, but why would Illyrio want Dany and Viserys to go to Westeros with 100,000 Dothraki fighting for them. Would this make an invasion in a few years nearly impossible for Aegon and the Golden Company?

Illyrio did not really want that, he was just trying to playcate viserys with an empty promise. he was probably ready to get psycho Viserys out of his manse too, so he sold him the line "If Dany marries Drogo you will have 100K screamers with you when you invade westeros.' From what Illyrio says in DwD and the GC chapter it seems to me like Illyrio never had serious intentions for Viserys or Dany at the beginning.

Perhaps Illyrio suggested to Drogo that his heir from Daenerys would have the blood of the Dragon, from Old Valyria, and that such a Khal would unite the Khalasars and mount the world. In return, all he would have to do is place 10k of his screamers under the nominal command of Viserys for an invasion of Westeros in support of Aegon and the Golden Company, backed by Tyrosh, Hightower and Redwyne, and likely supported by the other two sisters and Dorne.

Hmm but do you think Illyrio would put all his eggs in one basket (no pun intended) with Drogo wanting Dany? Surely he would have had other methods of bargaining with Drogo that could keep him away from Pentos. I think he's far too calculating to relying soley on this child with nothing apart from her name. There are thousands of other attractive women he could have bargained for Drogo to wed too, so I believe it is mainly her lineage Drogo was interested in.

Yeah but thousands of other women werent living in his house with no where to go and nothing to do.

Dany was a lost princess to the ruling family that ruled an entire continent south of a wall that was 700 feet tall. She decends from dragon riders. Dany would have been and did become the highest born, well above the "dothraki station in life" bride a Khal, let alone a dothraki could ever have, her virginity intact was essential and even the Dothraki knew what dragons eggs were and knew they were valuable. It was a small gamble but like I said, slaves went with it too which the Dothraki use for many reasons. The meeting of Drogo and Dany was a view of the "offer" and the fact that the Dothraki did not kill somebody there indicated the "offer" was accepted. The Dothraki held all the cards, not the other way around.

I think the idea was to decimate the Weserosi countryside, make the place ungovernable, so when the GC did invade it would be a ripe fruit ready for plucking. The absolute best the Dothraki could achieve in Westeros would be to make a giant mess and kill lots of peasants. No siege equipment, no armor, no organization and no logistic supply chain. Ultimately every single Dothraki landing to Westeros would end up dead. All this would be great for Illyrio's effort to put Aegon on the IT but for the Dothraki? Not so much. I guess he assumed Drogo was just some barbarian savage who could be persuaded to undertake a suicide mission with the offer of some pussy and plunder, turned out he was way smarter than that.

Spot on.

Furthermore, if Drogo was actually suicidal enough to go for it, Essos would be rid of quite a lot of Dothraki and everybody wold be better off.

Of course not. Pentos got a fund to pay the Dothraki off. Dany was just a small part of the fund and Illyrio the one administering it.

Spot on.

Furthermore, if Drogo was actually suicidal enough to go for it, Essos would be rid of quite a lot of Dothraki and everybody wold be better off.

Of course not. Pentos got a fund to pay the Dothraki off. Dany was just a small part of the fund and Illyrio the one administering it.

That's true never thought of that.

There's still something not right about Drogo though - even the collecting of worship idols at Vaes Dothrak and the House of Black and White is errily similar.

That's true never thought of that.

There's still something not right about Drogo though - even the collecting of worship idols at Vaes Dothrak and the House of Black and White is errily similar.

cultural dominance. The house of Black and White collecting idols of "lesser or false dieties" placing them in their house dedicated to their god is somewhat a mocking act of submission to their god. Same with the Dothraki. No connection there.

Spot on.

It also, I think, shows how little Illyro and Varys give a fuck about ordinary Westerosi that they're more than happy to have their equivalent of the Mongol horde descend on the place killing countless so they can have their way. Bare that in mind whilst reading Varys opine his supposed conempt for self aggrandizing nobles and how he wants to have a King that will take care of the smallfolk.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong, but I thought that viewing the bridge first was just Dothraki tradition? Also, he never shows any interest in helping Viserys and continually does what he wants instead of listening to Viserys. He continues moving east of Vaes Dothrak the entire time as well.....towards Asshai??? Interestingly it is only when Jorah makes the assassin's presence known does Drogo begin planning to invade Westeros. I'm wondering if Jorah's motives for revealing the assassin are more complex, and that he wanted Drogo to invade Westeros, while Drogo was heading to Asshai but had no choice but to state he was going to conquer westros to still appear strong amongst his followers.

In the first part you are right, but it is also true that Drogo would do anything for Dany. In Fact he don't want to help Viserys but he want to realize all dreams of Dany. In one scene, after talking with Dany, he tell to everybody that they will invade Westeros and win the Iron Throne. I think he does it because he loves really Dany.

In the first part you are right, but it is also true that Drogo would do anything for Dany. In Fact he don't want to help Viserys but he want to realize all dreams of Dany. In one scene, after talking with Dany, he tell to everybody that they will invade Westeros and win the Iron Throne. I think he does it because he loves really Dany.

But isn't that only after her dragon dreams?

No. That is only after Robert personally insulted Drogo by sending assassins after his unborn son. Payback and injured honor.

Well that's when he agreed to take the throne of Daenerys's father for his unborn son. But I was asking about when Drogo began to respect her and at least appeared to want to please her.

Archived