Sympathy for the Devil(s)

Bustard

Viserys.

While he was kind of a Targaryan D bag he was still ripped off by his brother-in-law and executed at the word of his kid sister.

I'm not sure I understand this.........should Dany have just let Viserys cut the baby out of her belly, possibly killing her, too? It's not like Viserys didn't beg for that death of his.

Now, out of the two, Lysa and Viserys, Viserys would get a bit of my sympathy. I'm sure the tough years of exile contributed to his behaviors, but the exile probably did save him from being worse, in the long run. Granted, if he was left to live under Big Brother Rhaegar, perhaps he could have received better direction and less stress with being the last male Targ, but there's no denying, he had weaknesses and he used his excuse of pain to abuse his sister. It was disgusting.

I can't really feel bad for Lysa. I think it seems that she lived at court in KL to be close to Littlefinger. I get the feeling that Jon Arryn would have been a okay with the Stannis and Selyse type arraingement, but IMO, Lysa chose KL to be close to LF. She also was quite willing to ruin her sister's life, along with the rest of Cat's family, just to make LF happy. She had many more years than Viserys to straighten her ass out.

Viserys, definitely. He has excuses in a shitty and traumatic childhood, having to carry not only the burden of being a displaced heir to the throne, but also to take care of his sister.

Lysa has...errr....ummm.....uhhhh....nope, sorry.

To endure several horrible miscarriages

Her father forcefully aborted her baby

Had to have sex with an old man. (ie rape)

Was manipulated by the love of her life, and then killed by him.

Not trying to advance this whole comparison concept but her life has been very shitty.

• 9 months later...

Viserys. He had the weight of a dynasty on his shoulders, he had everything torn away from him - and he actually remembered the 'good old days'. He had nobody to guide him properly. He was doing all he could to mimic all he knew of the dragons. He was trying to be the father, the son, and the holy ghost all at the same time. He was a petulant, vindictive kid, but oh well.

Excuse my French, but Lysa was just a fucking crazy bitchdog for me. Boohoo, you didn't get the love you wanted and blah, blah, blah - keep a lid on it, you fruitcake.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Viserys lost everything he had at eight. He had to fend for himself and his sister. I don't think his madness is genetic, but his behavior is explained by his trauma. I mourn for the child he was and how hard it must have been. He sold his mother's crown to give himself and Dany food.

Lysa had an extremely shitty life, but in comparison, it's not that bad. She still was a High Lady, Cat seemed to love her, and Jon Arryn didn't seemed to be the abusive type. He's old, but that's arranged marriages for you. She could have seen LF was using her, but she still tried to take it out on a 13-year old, her niece to boot. And she's responsible for a war and the death of thousands, and the involvement of Cat and Ned in the conflict.

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Viserys lost everything he had at four. He had to fend for himself and his sister. I don't think his madness is genetic, but his behavior is explained by his trauma. I mourn for the child he was and how hard it must have been. He sold his mother's crown to give himself and Dany food.

Lysa had an extremely shitty life, but in comparison, it's not that bad. She still was a High Lady, Cat seemed to love her, and Jon Arryn didn't seemed to be the abusive type. He's old, but that's arranged marriages for you. She could have seen LF was using her, but she still tried to take it out on a 13-year old, her niece to boot. And she's responsible for a war and the death of thousands, and the involvement of Cat and Ned in the conflict.

Viserys was 8 during RR.

I feel more sympathy for Viserys. I think he was a scared little boy, manipulated by everyone around him. His head filled with nonsense about birth right, usurpers and how the entirity of the Seven Kingdoms were just waiting on their rightful king. He developed some major entitlement issues because of it. Also, the budding madness he was oh so proud off, probably did not help.

However, I also feel some sympathy for Lysa. Littlefinger truly played her as a master puppeteer.

Lysa is pretty bad, she can plead insanity and Littlefinger is worse. Viserys reminds me of a guy I knew in real life who was creepy so I've always transferred that to him. ( tons of empty enzyte packages all over his apartment floor, it's like dude not only is that creepy but I'm guessing it's snake oil)

Viserys by far. Viserys was hunted his whole life, a little boy lost, trying to keep himself and sister safe. I put no fault on Viserys for getting paranoid. To me he was very under appreciated by Dany. Although Dany had it tough with him all his life. I don't judge Dany for having Viserys killed, but she should've known how Viserys was and appreciated him just a little bit more. When Viserys got mad because of the Dothraki vest Dany made for him, she should've known that, that was his personality and yes curse him, but not threaten him.

Archived