Most Skilled Fighter in Stannis' Retinue?

Jankmaster

Among both Queen's and Kingsmen, who is supposedly the best sword out of the army of Stannis Baratheon. Stannis doesn't have a king's guard so to me it isn't really clear who are the best fighters in his army. The names I do draw up when I think about it are Godry Farthing and Rolland Storm, anybody want to help me out?

Richard "the slayer" Horpe and Rolland "killed a thousand Lannisters with a token garrison" Storm. Horpe smashed the Wildling's spearwall and killed Tormund's son, Storm's rearguard action got time to load as many people as possible onto the fleet after a nightlong battle when his force should have been exhausted. Skilled fighters both, and good at leading troops.

Other than those two, Godry sounds not bad. Suggs seems like it would be brutal, but decent (he was building on himself buying time for Asha to raise the alarm, by fighting and preventing several mounted foes from intercepting her).

Actually, both are renowned for thier skill. Horpe is just far more into the battle stuff, while Storm pays more attention to his duty as a knight.

Cersei says Storm is a seasoned killer, while Loras is just a tourney champion, so he is presumably very "into the battle stuff".

Also, the fact that Cersei, who's not the smartest person, knows about Rolland indicates Horpe < Storm.

Also, Marcher men are in general better fighters than other Stormlanders.

2 for 2. He's the Floyd Mayweather of Westeros.

ACOK: Shadowbinding is OP as fuck, plz nerf

ASOS: K, more magika needed for more shadows

ADWD: Soon, the new and improved Shadow 2.0

Cersei says Storm is a seasoned killer, while Loras is just a tourney champion, so he is presumably very "into the battle stuff".

Also, the fact that Cersei, who's not the smartest person, knows about Rolland indicates Horpe < Storm.

Also, Marcher men are in general better fighters than other Stormlanders.

And Horpe is known to Cersei as well, but she opted to have one of her own men rather than some Baratheon loyalist. I am not saying that Horpe is better, just that both are renowned. Storm is a "Seasoned Killer" by Cersei, and Horpe is "The Slayer" by Stannis. Both should be top tier, and it should be a close match between them.

What happened to Gerald Gower and Lewys Fishwife?

In Lys, guarding Edric.

I don't get it. Since Stannis doesn't care about DS anymore, why did he leave such a good fighter at DS? He should have left Axell Florent.

Because he can trust Storm. The same reason why Davos was chosen as Castellan instead of Axell, is why Storm had replaced Axell as castellan. Axell was demoted, and is now styling himself as Hand of the Queen.

Storm was ordered by Stannis to start mining Obsidian. Hopefully Loras's tale of taking Dragonstone by force was BS and he simply traded Dragonstone for a ship or two for Storm and his token garrison, and all the obsidian they can load. Otherwise, the lack of Obsidian may be a problem.

Archived