Domeric Bolton?

Seaworth'sShipmate

What was Dom Bolton like I wonder?

Roose describes him as a quiet, bookish fellow who loved riding horses. He sounds sort of like either Bran or Jon Snow or one of the other Stark kids. He probably was nothing like Ramsey, since it is said he got along well with other people. He seems like a kind, friendly person, partly because he rode out to find Ramsey ( against Roose's express orders) because he wanted a relationship with his brother. Big mistake!

Probably a bastard of Brandon Stark..

What was Dom Bolton like I wonder?

Roose describes him as a quiet, bookish fellow who loved riding horses. He sounds sort of like either Bran or Jon Snow or one of the other Stark kids. He probably was nothing like Ramsey, since it is said he got along well with other people. He seems like a kind, friendly person, partly because he rode out to find Ramsey ( against Roose's express orders) because he wanted a relationship with his brother. Big mistake!

Domeric is the kind of character who dies in ASOIF. And Ramsay is the kind of character who takes his place. It's a device GRRM repeatedly uses in ASOIF: a relatively "good" character is offed and a "harder" character fills the void. I've always thought it underlines the whole "winter is coming" motif. This is a harder world.

I wonder if Roose would have behaved differently in the War of 5 Kings if Domeric was with him

Very interesting question. Presumably, Domeric would have gone west with Robb at the Twins while Roose led the force south. He would likely then have become one of Robb's protectors. Domeric seemed harmless enough; no threat to Robb. Would Domeric's presence at Robb's side (and in his power) deter Roose's betrayal? It very well might have.

Very speculative though.

Roose's explanation about how Domeric died just doesn't seem right to me. Ramsay can be cunning, sure, but poison doesn't seem like his style. Didn't the symptoms Roose described match the Tears of Lys, which would make it even harder to believe Roose's story. Why would Roose kill Domeric though. It feels like there is something more to this story.

He would likely then have become one of Robb's protectors. Domeric seemed harmless enough; no threat to Robb. Would Domeric's presence at Robb's side (and in his power) deter Roose's betrayal? It very well might have.

Very speculative though.

Plus, no Ramsay Snow in charge of the Dreadfort means no burning of Winterfell and probably no "death" of Bran and Rickon. The Northmen would retake it from Theon easily. Roose may still have gone through with the Red Wedding, but maybe not - it would have been a lot riskier with two Stark boys in the North.

But if he still decided to usurp his King, I think Roose would have kept his plans secret from Domeric. And even if Domeric was with Robb's host, Roose didn't give any overt sign of betrayal until it was too late for the Starks to do anything about it. Domeric could have just been bound and gagged at the Red Wedding rather than killed

It is not a name, it is not a banner. It is a legacy. No other family lives in a place like the Dreadfort. No one else has stories of skinning their foes. The Rock has its oubliettes. The Red Keep has the Black Cells. The Deadfort has its skins. The Boltons are known through out the north for their cruelty. They are known for their savagery. If Domeric was a good person, he would have threatened that legacy.

What is your point about the Rock and Red Keep? The Bolton legacy is a castle name and their banner. Domeric would not have threatened it because he would not have changed it. Cruelty is not a legacy.

Well from what we know Domeric was fostered and he clearly had always wanted a sibling so that indicates that his personality was vastly different from his father. Would he have been Ned? Of course not, but I can't picture someone that Lady Dustin thought so highly of as being the type to go flaying people left and right.

Archived