Baratheon Brothers - Representation of Westeros

solidsnake

Just wondering if anyone had noticed that the 3 Baratheon Brothers were in fact the perfect representation for the 3 main realms of Westeros? After reading the books it struck me that each brother essentially is a representation of the 3 major cultures in Westeros .

Stannis Baratheon - Cold , emotionless - Justice, Honor , extremely black and white , everything by the book. Sounds very much like Ned Stark but even more extreme. Stannis Baratheon could slip into the role of King of the North and not miss a beat. His personality is cold as ice, he values justice , no politics nonsense, no pleasure nor fun - simply ruling and doing his duty. Cold and calculated. If there is one man fit to rule the North, it is Stannis - the two are a match made in heaven. Justice. Duty. Stannis.

Renly Baratheon - Kings Landing and Highgarden - Very political , loves to be loved and puts on appearances. "Fabulous" and is all about the appearances and politics. Reasonable, bends unlike Stannis but has enough self control not to break like Robert. Wins the popularity vote which you need to rule King's Landing and Highgarden likewise is all about the politics and sucking up to the one in power. No one plays the politics game as well as Highgarden.

Robert Baratheon - He should have been born in Dorne. He could mate with ever woman , father as many bastard children as he likes, swing left right and centre and it would be absolutely normal . No social rules in terms of having mistresses , could embrace his army of bastards as his own and drink all the Dornish wine he could get his hands on. Dorne seems like a hedonistic society that Robert would relish in and that reflects his true nature. He would have a wife that would explore all his hedoinistic urges with him, while being able to do everything else his heart desires because.. that is all normal in Dorne and he wouldnt be resented for it.

This struck me a while ago, not sure if anyone has noticed this or even agrees.

Cold, calculated, and emotionless is more Roose Bolton than Ned Stark. Ned Stark only appears cold to people like Jamie but to his own people and family he's a warm person and affectionate.

Roose Bolton is a sociopath - he is not like the leaders of the North - cruel , vile , misogynist , torturer - nothing like Stannis. The values of the North are embodied in Stannis I think, for Stannis it is always winter.

Roose Bolton is a sociopath - he is not like the leaders of the North - cruel , vile , misogynist , torturer - nothing like Stannis. The values of the North are embodied in Stannis I think, for Stannis it is always winter.

Cold and calculating are qualities of ASPD. They feel shallow emotions which can appear emotionless. Although someone having the callous traits doesn't mean they have ASPD.

Roose is perfectly in line with the way his house has acted for centuries. The North used to practice First Night and according to Roose some of them still do. No woman has ever ruled the North which could be in part due to misogyny.

Brandon Ice Eyes let slavers be subjected to a cruel and tortuous end.

Bran said some of those in the crypts have done terrible things so I wouldn't doubt they were vile. For example, the Lannisters are seen as so terrible for trying to marry off Sansa to a Lannister but King Rickard Stark married the Marsh King's daughter after he killed her father.

just is not the same as honorable

I guess they inter-lap . No one has a more "Just" sense of duty than Stannis in Westeros.

Honorable - I agree , resorting to witchcraft isnt something Ned would do . But all in all in terms of personality , thirst for justice , enduring hardship and a sense of duty I dont think anyone comes close to representing the North better. At least none of the living characters anyway.

"Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne." Stannis pointed north. "There is where I'll find the enemy I was born to fight."

That is honorable and just. Stannis is definitely just, Honor - I can agree questionable since he resorted to black magic. At his core though, Stannis is a very honourable figure who always does his duty .

Stannis Baratheon - Cold , emotionless - Justice, Honor , extremely black and white , everything by the book. Sounds very much like Ned Stark but even more extreme. Stannis Baratheon could slip into the role of King of the North and not miss a beat. His personality is cold as ice, he values justice , no politics nonsense, no pleasure nor fun - simply ruling and doing his duty. Cold and calculated. If there is one man fit to rule the North, it is Stannis - the two are a match made in heaven. Justice. Duty. Stannis.

I think that to the North, their leaders, the Starks, represent warmth and protection in winter, which is why they are so greatly loved. According to you, Stannis is cold and emotionless. The North would never love Stannis and Stannis would in turn resent the Northerners.

Dorne maybe a little more flexible when it comes to the issues of bastards and sexuality/ sexual deviance, but to say that they are hedonistic is a bit extreme. Just because Oberyn and Arianne are horndogs, it doesn't mean that the majority of Dorne is like that.

Such may be accepted, but it is most certainly not encouraged.

Dorne and Robert fits perfectly. The only difference: Doran deliberately sits around doing nothing. Interesting contrast, Doran lacks the necessary physical ability to do anything, while Robert lacks the necessary cognitive ability to think of doing anything [politically] worthwhile.

Stannis is representative of basically two things, Maekar and Bittersteel. Nobody is like him, that's why he's the Mannis. He's very different from Ned, like completely. Stannis is just and honorable because it's his duty, Ned does his duty because he's just and honorable. When forced to decide between duty and honor, Stan will chose duty and Ned will chose honor. Stannis is too dry for a desert, Ned's warmth makes snow melt. You get the idea.

Renly is pretty much exactly how "normal" southron summer children behave, politically sound and smart but entirely too full of themselves. They also have this incredible skill of "being nice" about the whole thing, war and murder, you know, not total wankers. I'm sure Mace Tyrell would have given Ice back to Robb and Loras wouldn't have been a prick like Joffrey while demanding Ned's head. They're pleasantly vicious, it makes them sooooo much more likeable.

So 2 out of 3, good thread.

Archived