Why do we think Varys is a Blackfyre?

Arya Mormont

I thought we spent an entire chapter worth a sellsword company who do not give a shit and are a motivated by self-interest as much as the next person. A company that's spymaster, paymaster, captain of archers and I believe others are of non Westerosi origin. Who had a former second in command leave to raise his crush's supposed son. That agreed to fight for Aegon after discussing that they would win castles.

Which in no way changes the fact that this company was created for a sole reason to put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne and that's why Blackfyres are not too obscure for the theories about them to be true.

And they also broke a contract to support him. Not only do they pride themselves on their reputation of never breaking a contract, but it was also a very lucrative one. And they turned down another lucrative contact.

“The captain-general wriggled his blistered toes in his footbath. “When we reached the river. The company was restless, with good reason. We walked away from an easy campaign in the Disputed Lands, and for what? So we could swelter in this god-awful heat watching our coins melt away and our blades go to rust whilst I turn away rich contracts?”

That news made Griff’s skin crawl. “Who?”

“The Yunkishmen. The envoy that they sent to woo Volantis has already dispatched three free companies to Slaver’s Bay. He wishes us to be the fourth and offers twice what Myr was paying us, plus a slave for every man in the company, ten for every officer, and a hundred choice maidens all for me.”

So I can't say they are motivated entirely by self interest.

It makes sense that they drop everything when a Blackfyre comes calling, because that's their Prime Directive, so to speak. The Golden Company was created as a temporary make-work project for the supporters of House Blackfyre to keep their power from scattering while they won the Iron Throne. Their JOB is to fight for Blackfyres. Fighting for Myr and Yunkai is just to make money so they can eat and stay armed FOR THAT.

I suppose you can argue that they've given up on the Blackfyres as a lost cause and are now attaching themselves to whoever they think will get them back to Westeros, but I argue that the last person they would follow in that situation is a Targaryan. You dont just forget 100 years of hatred and blood.

It is clear that some members of the Golden Company have direct connections to Illyrio and Varys, and they effectively follow their lead. But that's not the case for all of the leading members, and none one of them seems to be particular interested in the Blackfyre or the Targaryen cause. They want to conquer lands and castles in Westeros, that's about it.

I think TGC is evidence that there's something Blackfyre afoot. And D&E, in addition to being great standalones, could serve to add context to the depth and history the BF/Targ dispute. But none of that indicates that Varys is a Blackfyre or Brightflame.

"Bald as an Egg" does indicate something Targ-ish to me, especially the repetition of word choice. And his loose-cannon behavior during Aerys reign is suspect. A Targ looking dude who doesn't behave as a perfect loyalist certainly COULD be a Blackfyre. Or he could also just be another Targaryen nutburger.

But what of the stone bed that the FM supporters make so much of?

I think TGC is evidence that there's something Blackfyre afoot. And D&E, in addition to being great standalones, could serve to add context to the depth and history the BF/Targ dispute. But none of that indicates that Varys is a Blackfyre or Brightflame.

"Bald as an Egg" does indicate something Targ-ish to me, especially the repetition of word choice. And his loose-cannon behavior during Aerys reign is suspect. A Targ looking dude who doesn't behave as a perfect loyalist certainly COULD be a Blackfyre. Or he could also just be another Targaryen nutburger.

But what of the stone bed that the FM supporters make so much of?

How did he not behave as a loyalist? The king asked him to find out about plots against the throne. He found out about plots against the throne. When Tywin Lannister came knocking pledging himself to the defense of king and city, who was it who said not to trust him? Varys. The guy did his job. With Aerys that was the only semi-safe way to work, and still wasn't a guarantee. Just ask Chelstead or any of the others the Mad King burned.

The GC at this point just want to go home. A promise made by Bittersteel, more than a hundred years ago may or may not be part of their reasoning.

I agree that with all of the foreshadowing there absolutely WILL be a Blackfyre pretender. I'm just not convinced it will be Aegon. I've got a feeling GRRM is going to pull something out of left field on this.

I actually prefer the theory that he is a descendent of Aerion Targaryen. I think the Blackfyre angle comes from Illyrio, or the popular theory, from his wife, Serra.

Agreed. The egg reference points more toward Maekar's line than Daemon's.

And I have this idea that Illyrio and Varys are going to come to blows before this is over--probably over Aegon.

Agreed. The egg reference points more toward Maekar's line than Daemon's.

And I have this idea that Illyrio and Varys are going to come to blows before this is over--probably over Aegon.

I like that idea.

I don't really think I can distinguish between straight Blackfyre Theories, and Brightflame theories, and Brightfyre theories... At this point I'm happy to just say "There's some kind of Targ-lite shenagigans going on."

With all the emphasis on king's blood and royal blood in the books, why was Varys chosen for that ritual when he was a boy? Why him out of many other boys? Was it just coincidence? Or some hint that also aligns with this theory?

Come on, there is no power in a royal blood.

With all the emphasis on king's blood and royal blood in the books, why was Varys chosen for that ritual when he was a boy? Why him out of many other boys? Was it just coincidence? Or some hint that also aligns with this theory?

Some of us think that king's blood was the reason. And if king's blood is powerful, imagine what king's reproductive parts can do.

Somebody (can't remember who) suggested that Varys' cutting might have been tied to whatever went on at Summerhall. The only other explanation I can think of is a desperate attempt by that wizard to cure his ED.

You think other boys weren't used for the same ritual? Whatever makes you think that? Do you think this sorcerer only ever wanted to perform one rite in his whole life? If Varys was so special why did the sorcerer not keep him around for future use.

I think the sorcerer did use other boys, but he discarded them after cutting them, then found a new boy a needed. Varys never saw any others because only one boy was required for the act the sorcerer used him for. There's nothing wrong to indicates Varys was special other than his desire to live and thrive afterwards.

You think other boys weren't used for the same ritual? Whatever makes you think that? Do you think this sorcerer only ever wanted to perform one rite in his whole life? If Varys was so special why did the sorcerer not keep him around for future use.

I think the sorcerer did use other boys, but he discarded them after cutting them, then found a new boy a needed. Varys never saw any others because only one boy was required for the act the sorcerer used him for. There's nothing wrong to indicates Varys was special other than his desire to live and thrive afterwards.

There is also no indication anywhere else that boys are getting abducted and made use of in such rituals. It is certainly not a common enough thing that others would talk about it. Perhaps he did use other boys and many of them, and slaves can disappear easily for such purposes in that world, but we haven't heard about it, and I am simply presenting what is known from the books.

For the sake of argument, I can also add an assumption that he did not need Varys afterwards, because his goal was complete. Or, alternatively, because Varys was too far removed from the line that it didn't work, so he threw him away to go look for the next victim from the bloodline.

Varys is certainly stuck on that event, and probably researched it a lot. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with him being a Blackfyre, but rather being a boy like you claim, and his research is the reason he himself now uses children.

All I am saying is, with the information we have about king's blood, about the ritual Varys was put through, and all the other interesting information in this thread, without speculating other facts that are not written about other rituals, it can be a plausible connection to make.

Archived