Stannis and Religion

Stannis's Lawyer

Thoros may not be a good example as a non theist, thinking on it. He kind of is - he's more like a Catholic priest that may doubt the reality of God but still sees God's work all around. He's a fuzzy theist :D I don't think Stannis ever truly becomes a theist though, his beliefs remain pragmatic, or agnostic.

I thought Stannis believed that Mel's god caused real events, seeing her and her god as allies, as you state in you op - without ever searching for truth in anything other than what occurs. I also thought he only ever viewed R'hllor as Mel's god, never his.

Say your Stannis and I'm Mel (I'd make an ugly Mel, but just saying :) )

I say to you that R'hllor has granted me the power to make assassin shadows from my womb to kill your enemies. Then I make an assassin shadow and you hear tales about them stabbing your enemies.

It depends what you believe from there whether you become theistic or not.

If you just believe that I made shadow assassins from my womb, because I believe in R'hllor - then you remain pragmatic. If you start to believe in the unique power of R'hllor, then you are turning to theism. You can believe there is a truth to my relationship with R'hllor, without being a theist yourself.

He probably wants to avoid praying and just tells Mel to "pray harder".

That's how I read him as a character. He views Mel and her god as assets to his cause but remains pragmatic with regards to his own beliefs. In fact, he may not believe anything he does not count as a truth - he's just too hard wired, after his parents dying.

That's how I read him as a character. He views Mel and her god as assets to his cause but remains pragmatic with regards to his own beliefs. In fact, he may not believe anything he does not count as a truth - he's just too hard wired, after his parents dying.

At this point in the books he has seen others use magic without any connection to R'hllor so that probably plays a big part in him not believing. He just needs burn a few traitors here and there to keep the Queen's men satisfied. However even that might change if he get's the North on his side, because he wouldn't have to rely so heavily on the Queen's men.

At this point in the books he has seen others use magic without any connection to R'hllor so that probably plays a big part in him not believing. He just needs burn a few traitors here and there to keep the Queen's men satisfied. However even that might change if he get's the North on his side, because he wouldn't have to rely so heavily on the Queen's men.

I agree that the Queen's Men become less and less important with more and more Northmen, but I believe Stannis still believes in the existence of R'hllor, since he looks into fires.

Archived