Targaryen information

Arataniello

Personally, I'd like to see some more details about the law that prevented the Princesses from the Maidenvault from succeeding and how it is possible that it didn't affect the characters perceptions about Daeron the Drunken daughter's, Dany's and Myrcella's places in the line of succession. Was it a law in the first place or was it perhaps just a royal testament? Was it revoked? Etc.

Personally, I'd like to see some more detail about the law that prevented the Princesses from the Maidenvault from succeeding and how it is possible that it didn't affected the characters perceptions about Daeron the Drunken daughter's, Dany's and Myrcella's places in the line of succession. Was it a law in the first place or was it perhaps just royal testament? Was it revoked? Etc.

I share your desire.

• 1 month later...
We've got it. :)

George had suggested laying them out in that sort of way -- maybe not all 350+ of them, but at least each major house surrounded by the shields of some of the vassal houses.

We suggested, in turn, that perhaps a cool way of displaying a lot of them would be to actually have them on the regional maps -- you know, the shield next to each house's castle.

Which way we'll go is still being decided. Heck, we might be able to do both, for all I know. A lot of this will depend on the art director's advice, I suspect, as they'll have more experience regarding what does and doesn't work on the printed page.

If you are looking at putting the coat of arms of the great house in the center with the sworn banners around it I would suggest something like this : http://www.imperialcollegeofheraldry.org/

That is the coat of arms of the HRE with the imperial double eagle in the center with the arms of the sworn states spread below the wings.

You could do something like have the Lion of Lannister in the center with their coat of arms in the Lion and spread beneath the Lion the arms of their bannermen.

I thought that the Whent relative was Catelyn's. Wasn't that part of how she got the Whent troops to help her arrest Tyrion in AGoT?

maybe Ned's mom was a Lothorson and that's why nobody talks about her. lol

But yes Cat's mom was a Whent.

I would like to know more about the Targs proceeding Aegon I. What were relations like between his dad and the mainland? Westeros is not far at all from Drangonstone so it is only logical there was contact. What about their relationship with the Velaryons, another Valyrian house? Why didn't they have dragons? Why were they in Westeros to being with? I'd also like to know more about Aegon's siblings, both legitimate and bastards. Why was Orys a Baratheon and not a Targ, or Rivers or something? I would also second the comprehensive family tree with birthdates adn death dates, boy do i confuse myself trying to think who had the Great Bastards and everyones relationship with each other when there are multiple generations of Targs alive, like during Daeron II's reign. And the Dragons....names, how many there were, who were their riders, stuff like that...............and Ned's mom was obviously Hot Pie, geez thought that was obvious

Guest Other-in-law
What about their relationship with the Velaryons, another Valyrian house? Why didn't they have dragons?

I can't help but to think the Velaryon surname is akin to RL names that originated with someone's ethnicity, such Inglis, Scott, Wallace, Fleming, French, etc. If so, they may have been stationed around Dragonstone from much earlier than the Targaryen arrival, and have gotten the name from such Westerosi they came into contact with. They may have held much lower status in Valyrian society, too.

• 2 months later...
It's down. Amok is doing what he can for it, but I'm understanding his Livejournal entry about it properly (it's in Russian, so I have to use the less-than-spectacular Babelfish), the host does not seem to be able to do anything and because Amok didn't register the domain(s) himself -- an acquaintance did it for him -- he isn't able to move the domaisn somewhere else. Said acquaintance is not available, or is not moving very quickly, or something.

Something like that, anyways.

Could someone point out to illustrators that Dany is quite young. The picture I carry of her is a girl, slender. I'm a bit repulsed by the voluputous way she is often protrayed.

Also, will there be pictures and diagrams of the castles?

• 2 months later...
Important: Names and ages of all Targaryen dragons till Aegon III.! Every non-Targaryen woman that married in the house. All houses who got Targaryen princesses.

:agree:

Which great houses during the blackfyre rebellion were on the side of Daeron and which on the side on Daemon?

Something on Myriah Martell,wife of Daeron II(just a little description;I know this is detailed but...:)

If the complete Blackfyre family tree isn't probable then it would be pretty awsome only to know who was the wife of Daemon Blackfyre?

• 1 month later...
Well, the Andals invaded Westeros because they were fleeing the Valyrians (or fleeing others who were fleeing the Valyrians). And the Rhoynar went on the move for similar reasons. I suspect Valyrian policy changed with the centuries, much as Rome's did. Sometimes they'd be happy with their borders, sometimes not.

But we'll certainly try and dig some more info out of GRRM regarding the history of Valyria. ;)

yeah I always took the valyrians to be very similiar to the romans in history as well. if you look at historic connections there uncanny.

• 9 months later...
I can't help but to think the Velaryon surname is akin to RL names that originated with someone's ethnicity, such Inglis, Scott, Wallace, Fleming, French, etc. If so, they may have been stationed around Dragonstone from much earlier than the Targaryen arrival, and have gotten the name from such Westerosi they came into contact with. They may have held much lower status in Valyrian society, too.

Great observation! I would like to know more about the ethnicity of the 1,600 troops that the Targaryens brought over from Dragonstone. Were these troops primarily Valyrian? What happened to these people? Baratheon sounds like it could be Valyrian to me. Were there other Valyrian houses/families/commoners that were upjumped in Westeros?

Great observation! I would like to know more about the ethnicity of the 1,600 troops that the Targaryens brought over from Dragonstone. Were these troops primarily Valyrian? What happened to these people? Baratheon sounds like it could be Valyrian to me. Were there other Valyrian houses/families/commoners that were upjumped in Westeros?

Actually...Baratheon is Westero native family name... they are in the targaryen line cauze a second bastard cousin ( something like that) take the holdings and assume the family name of the pre extinguished line of baratheons...So "our is the fury" is not a "family caracteristc" to the New Baratheons who take the family motto with the rest.

Were there other Valyrian houses/families/commoners that were upjumped in Westeros?

House Qoherys were the first lords of Harrenhal after Balerion burned alive Harren and his sons. Given that they were given the greatest castle of Westeros at the time, they probably were an important family. But their line was ended by the curse of Haren the Black.

Actually...Baratheon is Westero native family name... they are in the targaryen line cauze a second bastard cousin ( something like that) take the holdings and assume the family name of the pre extinguished line of baratheons...

I might be wrong, but I don't think that can be assured. From the AGOT appendix: "Orys Barathenon was rumoured to be Aegon the Dragon's bastard brother. (...) When he defeated and slew Argilac the Arrogant, the last Storm King, Aegon rewarded him with Argilac's castle, lands, and daughter. Orys took the girl to bride and adopted the banner, honors and words of her line." Nowhere is saying that he took also the name of the house, and Argilac is never referred as a Baratheon.

Hopefully the World Book will clarify this, but I would say that Orys was named Baratheon before marrying Argilac's daughter.

I guess you could still be right in the sense that Baratheon could be a native Westerosii family name. Orys mother (the suspected lover of Aegon's father) could have not been Valyrian. After all, if she had been the house would be named Baeraetheon. :)

Archived