Dornish Debates iii: Of Kings and Courts

Chebyshov

Okay, now I am slightly confused about the time line.

So we know he must have been in Oldtown, studying at the Citadel presumably, when he was 13 or 14, because that when Obara was conceived. (yikes.) And she also know that when he was "oh, fourteen, fifteen, thereabouts" he went on a road trip with his mother, her second husband, and Elia to Casterly Rock. I guess he must have been completely done with the Citadel at that point since Mama Martell wanted to marry him off, which would be a strange thing to do if him becoming a maester was still in the cards. Or is hanging out at the Citadel just something rich boys do for a few years? So he forged six links before he was 14? That's almost as crazy as making a baby by that age.

Well, Oberyn might simply have been visiting Oldtown, for whatever reason, and fathered Obara, while studying at the Citadel only years later

We only have semi-canon sources for the order of events, but as Obara was born in 271/272AC, and Oberyn exiled only around 274AC, and the semi-canon sources stating that Oberyn studied at the Citadel after his exile, that would mean that Obara was simply fathered during a separate visit to Oldtown..

I think that Obara's conception might have been when he travelled through Westeros (if he ever did), after his fosterage ended, or possibly as part of his fosterage, with Lord Qorgyle, if Qorgyle would needed to visit Oldtown for some reason.

Oberyn's exile would have been at least a year, possibly more. Then about 2 years of Citadel, at least. After that at least 2 years as a sellsword.. The tournament at Harrenhal took place in between the Citadel and the sellsword adventures, I'd guess. Being in Essos during the Rebellion would also explain Oberyn's lack of participation in the war itself..

What are these semi-canon sources that say the Citadel came after the exile?

How Oberyn even found out about Obara? I doubt he would keep track of all the women he had sex with.

Are you kidding? He totally writes it all in a little black book.

How Oberyn even found out about Obara? I doubt he would keep track of all the women he had sex with.

I my mind, Oberyn and Marwyn were friends and had been in contact, and Marwyn went to visit Obara's mother(s establishment), and recognized Oberyn in the girl, and thus wrote Oberyn about it.

What are these semi-canon sources that say the Citadel came after the exile?

One of the RPG's

Wasn't a Hightower a suitor for Elia? Am I making that up? That could have been the Obara conception trip though

It was: Baelor Breakwind. But I think that was before they went to CR.

ETA: According to Wiki, "Prince Oberyn Martell and Princess Elia Martell visited Oldtown on their way to Casterly Rock where their mother was to broker their marriage to the Lannister twins". He says CR was the last of their destinations, just checked.

Yes they did.

I'm sorry, I think I've just in the last six hours or so become obsessed with Oberyn's relationship with his mother and what she would think of his sneaking off to cheap brothels while she's working so hard to set him up with pimply maidens.

Poor Mama Martell.

Yes they did.

I'm sorry, I think I've just in the last six hours or so become obsessed with Oberyn's relationship with his mother and what she would think of his sneaking off to cheap brothels while she's working so hard to set him up with pimply maidens.

Poor Mama Martell.

How I wish to have seen her face when she was rejected by Tywin and offered Tyrion and then, when Elia married Rhaegar...

ETA: According to Wiki, "Prince Oberyn Martell and Princess Elia Martell visited Oldtown on their way to Casterly Rock where their mother was to broker their marriage to the Lannister twins". He says CR was the last of their destinations, just checked.

So wasn't that almost certainly when Obara was conceived?

Well, silver link -> medicine and poison

Copper for history

Probably iron for warcraft

Maybe also Valyrian steel, if the manticore venom used on Gregor was, as Qyburn suggests, thickened with sorcery?

Though he could have picked up sorcerous stuff elsewhere, I suppose.

Well, silver link -> medicine and poison

Copper for history

Probably iron for warcraft

Yes they did.

Poor Mama Martell.

Bet he didn't get the black iron for ravenry. Otherwise, he'd have no excuse not to write to Mama Martell. (Mama Martell, "Oy vey, you don't call, you don't write... Now I'm calling you. Not that you should feel bad...")

And he returns a couple of months later to check if they got a bit... bigger? :lol:

He invented the Westerosi pregnancy test.

Btw, who is that in your avatar? Arianne?

So wasn't that almost certainly when Obara was conceived?

Tyrion was born in 273, most likely.. Obara in 272 or 271, and the trip from Oldtown to CR shouldn't be that long..

So I think the trip to Oldtown when he slept with Obaras mom was a seperate trip.

Another Dornish lady, Ashara.

(but yes, Arianne should be eventually featured)

Aaah, are they dancing?

Are you telling us a story through your avatar? :p

Tyrion was born in 273, most likely.. Obara in 272 or 271, and the trip from Oldtown to CR shouldn't be that long..

So I think the trip to Oldtown when he slept with Obaras mom was a seperate trip.

Aaah, are they dancing?

Are you telling us a story through your avatar? :P

Of course... eventually, we will see Rhaegar, the Exiling and his glorious return :´(

Shouldn't she be shooting violet sparks from her eyes or something? Just so that Tyrion can't possibly have missed them, were she Septa Lemore?

hah... septa Lemore will eventually appear :P

Aaah, are they dancing?

Are you telling us a story through your avatar? :p

Well maybe that's how he knew of her conception. Visits once, sleeps with the mom. Visits again en route to CR, sees that she has a baby instead.

Archived