Dornish Debates iii: Of Kings and Courts

Chebyshov

Remember when we kept talking about Nymeria burning the Dornish fleet and their lack of ships? I just reread something that jumped out, and am wondering if it's maybe foreshadowing (or more so a chance for history to repeat itself) in DWD2.0:

I know that tale as well, but Daeron made too much if it in that vainglorious book of his. Ships one that war, not goat tracks. Oakenfist broke the Planky Town and swept halfway up the Greenblood whilst the main Dornish strength was engaged in the Prince's Pass"

I dunno, especially given what we know of troop placement from the sample chapter, it just jumped out.

Remember when we kept talking about Nymeria burning the Dornish fleet and their lack of ships? I just reread something that jumped out, and am wondering if it's maybe foreshadowing (or more so a chance for history to repeat itself) in DWD2.0:

I dunno, especially given what we know of troop placement from the sample chapter, it just jumped out.

Doesn't the Greenblood basically count for most of the agriculture of the western part of Dorne? By "breaking" Plankytown sound as if the settlement has harbor defenses that command all tragic in and out of the river. Taking the town essentially gives invaders transport to what appear to be the mountains of Dorne, and any force that was stationed there, and the heart of Dornish agriculture. Whats more, places like Sunspear and other castles would be extremely vulnerable.

Did anyone notice that there are enormous fish that need to be carried by four men in the Greenblood?

Wels catfish, european sweetwater fish who has been reliably confirmed to be able to grow to 144 kg, with historical reports of specimen weighing more than 400 kg.

Beluga sturgeon today weighs up to 248 kg, with historical reports of up to 1571 kg.

Please do carry those mosnters with just four men...

New game guys!

We've speculated that probably, hopeful, we will learn the name of Doran, Elia, and Oberyn's mother in World of Ice and Fire, and will therefore no longer be required to call her "Mama Martell".

I propose we start a pool to guess what her name might be. The buy-in is 500 imaginary golden dragons.

My bet is on Mariya, since I'm not very creative.

Who's with me in the bout of imaginary gambling!?

I hate you. I was going for Loreza too :lol:

The younger SS are the key. Their names mean something: Elia (his sister), Obella (after his own name, as his older girl is already Obara and maybe not named by him) and Dorea (his brother). Loreza HAS to have a meaning.

I think this is a very sound way of trying to determine the name of the Princess of Dorne, but should we not also consider the possibility that Loreza has meaning, but to Ellaria rather than Oberyn?

I mean, I think there's a pretty good chance Loreza is Oberyn's mother's name, but really, why should Oberyn get to name all of the younger Sand Snakes? Makes him seem like kind of an ass (especially when he's already got one daughter named after him)

The younger SS are the key. Their names mean something: Elia (his sister), Obella (after his own name, as his older girl is already Obara and maybe not named by him) and Dorea (his brother). Loreza HAS to have a meaning.

Exactly my reasoning :)

I think this is a very sound way of trying to determine the name of the Princess of Dorne, but should we not also consider the possibility that Loreza has meaning, but to Ellaria rather than Oberyn?

I mean, I think there's a pretty good chance Loreza is Oberyn's mother's name, but really, why should Oberyn get to name all of the younger Sand Snakes? Makes him seem like kind of an ass (especially when he's already got one daughter named after him)

We don't know many Uller-names, but the ones we do know, sound nothing like Loreza. (Harmen, Ellaria, Ulwyk).

Elia is definitly named by Oberyn. No doubt about it. Obella sounds like she was named for Oberyn himself. Who says that that means that he named her? Ellaria could have named her child for her lover, to honour him.

Same goes for Dorea.. It could have been Oberyn's idea to name the girl after his brother, but it could also have been Ellaria's idea.. To show Doran how much she appreciates being accepted, despite being a bastardborn paramour.

And if she was truly named Loreza, you'd have Loreza and Lewyn Martell.. :)

Well, I was going to go with a "Myria" style name, but this alliteration with Lewyn is appealing. "Loreza" is definitely likely, but I'm going to be a weirdo and go with "Larra." It's 500 golden dragons...you go big or go home.

Awww... Loreza and Lewyn were totally the terrors of the pools in the Water Gardens at some point.

I was hoping Loreza Sand was the one with the morningstar as some vague "evidence" for you, but that was Dorea. Loreza [as far as we know] is just the Gretl of the group for now.

I'm a little surprised Ellaria is cool with her 8 year old running around and attacking trees, but I suppose Oberyn taught her early.

^"Myria Jordayne" might be the Jordaynes sucking up to the Martells, but that's about the extent of it. I'm not seeing a whole lot of Targ-influenced names, so I guess Dorne knows that the rest of the 7K should be sucking up to them.

Oh, there's Edric Dayne. That wasn't sucking up so much, but he was named for Eddard, wasn't he?

Trees usually don't fight back :)

I guess as long as she only targets the overripe oranges it's forgivable.

^"Myria Jordayne" might be the Jordaynes sucking up to the Martells, but that's about the extent of it. I'm not seeing a whole lot of Targ-influenced names, so I guess Dorne knows that the rest of the 7K should be sucking up to them.

Oh, there's Edric Dayne. That wasn't sucking up so much, but he was named for Eddard, wasn't he?

Word.

People seem to assume he was named for Ned, but I don't really think so.

But see, he might think so. Allyria told him some weird shit.

And we can even wonder what Allyria was told.. She would have still been rather young when Ashara died. And if Allyria was told a "modified" version of the truth, the tale Edric has been told could potentially hold even less truth to it, and possibly, more interpretation.

That would probably depend on whether Starfall was involved in a cover-up, and how deep that goes..

Archived