Sunfyre Art

arek

New art for the Dragon Sunfyre.

Described as having gleaming gold scales and pale pink wing membranes. In the sunlight his scales shone like beaten gold. He is described as being the most beautiful dragon ever seen upon Westeros, possibly the world.

http://dragonman14x.deviantart.com/art/Sunfyre-the-Golden-486855173

What you think? Any constructive criticism welcomed.

Looks quite nice, deffinatly work of a solid standard. I like the texture of the scales quite a lot, the texture of the wings i like somewhat less. I also find that it lacks some extra feature's, in principle i find that a not too busy design in terms of details is quite ok, i kinda dislike exhaburated stuff, but for ex. i think the dragon could use "hands", or atleast what could fit as equivelant for a dragon, maybe more like claws halfway the wing. Maybe some detail could be added to either the tail or the head, just minor cosmetic things. For ex. making it a "crowned" dragon head of multiple spikes rather than one with a spike on it, like this:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/059/d/9/Dragon_Head_Side_Profile_by_The_MuseDragon.jpg

I think that it is very beautiful! I love it! :thumbsup:

Although I always pictured Sunfyre to be more radiant and I agree about the texture of the wings. In the picture I am given the impression that his wings are made of feathers instead of leather.

I like it. The scaling is great, it must have taken you hours and it looks really nice, love the detail of it. I personally like the texture of the wings as well. But I have some objections concerning the dragon´s anatomy. I agree with Waters Gate, that it should have some kind of "hands" on it´s wings. They are after all able to move on the ground, which would be impossible for a creature that size, if it didn´t have the support of it´s forelimb. Also the fingers don´t match up - on the left wing they part from one place, whereas on the right wing they don´t. And one more thing is, that I don´t really understand where the left wing starts and where it ends, and the more I look at it, the more it seems like the dragon is covered in some kind of duvet.

Hope this doesn´t seem like nitpicking to you (it wasn´t intended as one) and keep up the good work =)

Not nitpicking at all guys, I appreciate the feedback (only way I will improve).

At Rhaenys. Yes this is the picture I have been trying to upload on the Wiki :-)

But keep getting message....

Upload warning

The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver.

I am the artist so I give full permission for use on wiki. If you can find a way to upload it, please feel free :-)

Not nitpicking at all guys, I appreciate the feedback (only way I will improve).

At Rhaenys. Yes this is the picture I have been trying to upload on the Wiki :-)

But keep getting message....

Upload warning

The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver.

I am the artist so I give full permission for use on wiki. If you can find a way to upload it, please feel free :-)

On the help board, Ran messaged that it should be no problem now. I originally thought that the problems with uploading pictures was connected to the problem with resizing images.. I've seen one message already that a file was uploaded, but I've just checked, and I am still unable to resize images..

So try uploading it again, and if it doesn't work, tell Ran on the help board. ;)

Connected to my question (especially now that you've said that you are the artist), I've been looking for TRP/TPATQ related art for on the wiki :) I am a terrible artist as far as making images are concerned, but would you be willing to perhaps create some more images on that topic? :)

Just a bit more about the wings: if haven't already, you might study the anatomy of bat wings, especially in flight and when they crawl on the ground. Fruit bats in particular seem like what a large, winged, non-avian creature would have to do to move around normally. This looks a bit like what you were going for. Try drawing the arms and bone structure of the wings first, and only draw the membrane after you get everything else the way you want it (you may already be doing this, but I can't tell without looking at the sketches).

You should also start experimenting with more complex lighting in your pictures, and not just shading around the contours. The simple addition of shadows and specularity would do wonders for giving the dragon depth without significantly changing the basic structure of the drawing. Looking through your deviantart gallery, I noticed you've worked with Maya. Loading up a 3D model into a graphics program and rendering it using modern lighting systems is a good, cheap way to study how light realistically interacts with objects in the environment.

Otherwise, good job. There's definitely potential here.

@Rhaenys. Got different warning now. Sorry, don't know how to fix. As for more TRP/TPATQ. Np I was planning on doing that anyway. Did art for Aemond (though it looks terrible) so going to redo that. Think I'll try my luck at Daemon then after Aemond, thinking of doing him all in gold armor (as described when he greeted his brother again after returning from step stones & with a gold cloak.

The new warning reads as follows...

Upload warning

Could not rename file "/tmp/php4peftl" to "public/4/45/Golddragon.jpg".

@Rhaenys. Got different warning now. Sorry, don't know how to fix. As for more TRP/TPATQ. Np I was planning on doing that anyway. Did art for Aemond (though it looks terrible) so going to redo that. Think I'll try my luck at Daemon then after Aemond, thinking of doing him all in gold armor (as described when he greeted his brother again after returning from step stones & with a gold cloak.

That's good to hear :) ;)

And I see the uploading finally worked again, that's also good :)

Archived