Pact & Song of Ice and Fire

So when I first read the words Pact of Ice & Fire, all I could think about was Dany's vision of Rhaegar saying 'and his is a Song of Ice and Fire'.....

Is this the confirmation that the union of a Targ and Stark finally happened with a baby??

And if someone could refresh my memory... so after the tournament Rhaegar runs into Lyanna, and the whole abduction begins (if true abduction)..So basically, if R&L=J, Lyanna was gone for 9 months or that they bumped earlier. It's just my time frame is scrambled about the 'abduction', The Rebellion, how long it took to get to Lyanna??

Welcome to the forums! :)

As the baby has been confirmed to have been Aegon, and the woman nursing him Elia, no, that statement of Rhaegar's won't have been about the Pact of Ice and Fire. ;)

IMO, when Rheagar states "his is the song of Ice and Fire" he's just referring to the battle of the Promised Prince (who he believes is Aegon), represented by fire, and the Others, represented by Ice.

Thinking about the details of that Pact, my guess is that Jace agreed to marry Rhaena to Cregan. We know that Jace flew first to Gulltown, the Eyrie, Sisterton, White Harbor, and then Winterfell, whereas Luke flew straight to Storm's End.

Surely the news about Luke's murder would have reached the North while Jace was still on his way to Winterfell, and thus Rhaena would have been free to marry somebody else. Rhaenyra does not betroth her to Joff, suggesting that she may already be promised to somebody else. And although it seems very likely that Rhaena and Corwyn Corbray meet (and fell in love with) each other during her stay in the Vale, we don't really know when they eventually marry.

But my guess is that this only occurs after the Dance is concluded, suggesting that Lord Cregan himself decides to dissolve the Pact of Ice and Fire when he decides to marry Black Aly Blackwood instead.

^While I agree with you, I can't help but wonder if Rhaegar knew about the Pact.

Welcome to the forums, Queen Visenya!

I would be very surprised if "Bookish to a fault, reading ancient prophecies" Rhaegar didn't know about the Pact of Ice and Fire.

Didn't he mention the song of ice and fire thing after he said and "there must be one more" or was that before but if he said it referring to aegon that doesn't make sense because the Martells certainly aren't "ice"

He says ASOIAF first and then says there must be one more while either looking at Dany or beyond her.

I would be very surprised if "Bookish to a fault, reading ancient prophecies" Rhaegar didn't know about the Pact of Ice and Fire.

He says ASOIAF first and then says there must be one more while either looking at Dany or beyond her.

I agree that it would be highly unlikely that Rhaegar had not read about the Pact of Ice and Fire. It would be a fairly significant part of his family's history--as the Dance of Dragons 1.0 was probably the most significant event in his family's time on the throne--and the Pact would have survived if a different faction had won the war.

But more significant to the fact that ASOIAF is stated prior to the statement about "there must be one more" is the context in which Rhaegar says ASOIAF (the only time in the entire series so far, that I am aware of, in which the series title is uttered). Elia asks Rhaegar if he will write a song for Aegon. Rhaegar responds that Aegon has a song, that Aegon is the Prince that was Promised and his song is A Song of Ice and Fire. So I take this statement to mean that Rhaegar links to song to being the song prophecized to be written to tell the tale of the great accomplishments of TPTWP in the Battle for the Dawn 2.0. At that point in time, it is logical to conclude that he thought the song was about the Targs vs. the Others. As many around here know, I think it is strong clue that Jon is TPTWP because he is A Son(g) of Ice (Lyanna) and Fire (Rhaegar), personified (and yes, the title has other meanings as well, but Jon is one of the meanings). Of course, less important, this information also suggests that when Rhaegar decides to run off with Lyanna to have a chiild with her, his knowledge of the Pact of Ice and Fire would have helped him to realize that their child would be TPTWP and not Aegon.

P.S. BQ87, yes, I know you are on board with this analysis, but for the benefit of anyone who has not seen it before, I wanted to summarize.

Didn't he mention the song of ice and fire thing after he said and "there must be one more" or was that before but if he said it referring to aegon that doesn't make sense because the Martells certainly aren't "ice"

However, there is an assoiation of the Rhoynish and, consequently, Martells with a "song" that, according to their legends, ended the Long Night.

Welcome to the Forums!

We don't know if he knew or not, but he must have read something.

In ASoS, Chapter 8 (Daenerys I) Whitebeard (Barristan) said this:

As a young boy, the Prince of Dragonstone was bookish to a fault. He was reading so early that men said Queen Rhaella must have swallowed some books and a candle whilst he was in her womb. Rhaegar took no interest in the play of other children. The maesters were awed by his wits, but his father's knights would jest sourly that Baelor the Blessed had been born again. Until on day Prince Rhaegar found something in his scrolls that changed him. No one knows what it might have been, only that the boy suddenly appeared early one morning in the yard as the knights were donning their steel. He walked up to Ser William Darry, the master-at-arms, and said, 'I will require sword and armor. It seems I must be a warrior.'

We don't know what he found, but it may have been a combination of things...one could have been about the pact. There is a lot of speculation...and I'm sure some will follow in this thread.

Archived