[TWOIAF Spoilers] The Identity of the Ape Prince

Rhaegel For Sure.

I suppose it's possible if he had another son who isn't mentioned in the book.

My money is on Baelon's son Aegon though. He's the son of siblings, who were themselves the children of siblings - both of his brothers turned out sane (I mean... Daemon's terrible in his way, but he seems coherently driven), it stands to reason that one of the three lost the divine coin toss.

We get details of Aerys II's children who lived for months (even a year in one case, I think) who don't feature in the family tree, so it's quite possible that Rhaegel had another child who died early. The Maegor possibility is interesting though, since him being mad enough to dress up an ape as his son neuters any possibility of him being a part of any conspiracy against Egg. That's assuming the Ape Prince was mad and not simply the perpetrator of some very dark comedy.

We get details of Aerys II's children who lived for months (even a year in one case, I think) who don't feature in the family tree, so it's quite possible that Rhaegel had another child who died early. The Maegor possibility is interesting though, since him being mad enough to dress up an ape as his son neuters any possibility of him being a part of any conspiracy against Egg. That's assuming the Ape Prince was mad and not simply the perpetrator of some very dark comedy.

The fact that his father would try to arrange a marriage for the ape made me think that the boy had been a bit older already when he died.. I was thinking around the age of 10? Very roughly. could have been older. That's about the age where a prince might start to think about arranging a match for his child.. in Westeros.

The fact that his father would try to arrange a marriage for the ape made me think that the boy had been a bit older already when he died.. I was thinking around the age of 10? Very roughly. could have been older. That's about the age where a prince might start to think about arranging a match for his child.. in Westeros.

Good point. The child needn't have been as young as Aerys' other children though, just because he didn't feature in the family tree. The other popular suggestions here - Maegor and Aegon - hinge on this too. Though I admit that it does seem unlikely that the tree would display 3 of Rhaegel's kids and omit one who lived as long 10. Unlikely, but not impossible. Do we know if there's an example this happening elsewhere on any of the family trees? (ie. a child who we know existed being omitted because of a fairly early - but not quite infant - death, despite the presence of his/her siblings)

Illyrio dresses tyrion up in childrens clothing he acts like a monkey

I always assumed the story was an allegory for Tyrion or fAegon. Just because you give a monkey clothes doesnt make him a boy - or a Prince

Coincidentally, I was reading the boiledleather combined Feast/Dance reading order recently and noticed the Ape Prince chapter is immediately followed by a Brienne chapter where Mark Mullendore is described as carrying around a monkey in armor. Weird

Good point. The child needn't have been as young as Aerys' other children though, just because he didn't feature in the family tree. The other popular suggestions here - Maegor and Aegon - hinge on this too. Though I admit that it does seem unlikely that the tree would display 3 of Rhaegel's kids and omit one who lived as long 10. Unlikely, but not impossible. Do we know if there's an example this happening elsewhere on any of the family trees? (ie. a child who we know existed being omitted because of a fairly early - but not quite infant - death, despite the presence of his/her siblings)

Hmm, I don't think so. The children of Jaehaerys and Alysanne, perhaps.. All we know about those four is that they didn't live until adulthood (16). About Aegon (brother of Viserys and Daemon), we know nothing (besides his name).

A Targaryen Hamlet would be an interesting twist - especially since Maegor would be conspiring against an "uncle who usurped his thrown."

It also works because proposing marriages for his "son" would be a particularly cutting "game" in the court of Aegon V, given how much trouble Egg was dealing with over collapsing marriage pacts. I could easily see Maegor "wandering in" with his ape while the Laughing Storm is yelling at the Hand over Prince Duncan's betrayal of their pact, only for Maegor to offer his ape's hand instead (in seeming sincerity) - that being the final straw for Lord Lyonel, who true to his name storm's off laughing, only to lead a short rebellion over the insults to his House.

Archived