[TWOIAF Spoilers] The Identity of the Ape Prince

The World Book has given us a new look on the Targaryen family tree, and while the tree still isn't entirely complete, we now know more Targaryens than ever before. So, therefor, a new attempt to figure out who the Ape Prince, referred to in a Davos POV in A Dance with Dragons, is.

The important passage is the following:

As the salmon was being served, Ser Axell Florent had entertained the table

with the tale of a Targaryen princeling who kept an ape as a pet. This prince liked to dress the creature

in his dead son’s clothes and pretend he was a child, Ser Axell claimed, and from time to time he would

propose marriages for him. The lords so honored always declined politely, but of course they did

decline.

Let's examine the Targaryen Princes who could possibly be the one:

Prince Aegon

Prince Baelon and Princess Alyssa had three sons: Viserys, Daemon and Aegon. We know about the lives of Viserys and Daemon (detailed in The Rogue Prince), but their brother, Prince Aegon, is new to us. The family tree doesn't show a marriage for him, but of course, that doesn't mean he never lived to adulthood, or got married (Rhae and Daella were married, we know, and their marriages, for reasons of limited space, were left out of the tree). So it is possible that Aegon was married, and had a son, who died before Aegon did, causing Aegon to dress up an ape in his sons clothes and offer him in marriage to lords for their daughters. If it was Aegon, it would have occured during the reign of Viserys I, and Viserys seems to have been the kind of King (and brother) who would allow Aegon to live at his court.

Prince Rhaegel

Formerly the most popular option, but it seems that Rhaegel is no longer an option, as he died in 215 AC, and Aelor, his son, died in 217 AC. As the Ape Prince outlived his son, Rhaegel seems no longer to be a candidate.

Prince Maegor

Prince Maegor, the son of Prince Aerion (Brightflame) and Princess Daenora, could also have been the Ape Prince. We only know his parentage, and his name, but if he lived long enough, got married and had a son, he would have been dressing an ape in his deceased sons clothes during the reign of Aegon V, who, just as Viserys I, seems to have been the kind of guy who would allow such a family member (nephew, in this case) to live at his court (or, with one of his sons, at Dragonstone or Summerhal or such).

Are there other possibilities?

Well, yes. The possibility exists that this Ape Prince is listed on the family tree, but with only a daughter (possibly meaning that the son did not long survive after birth). But, the children of Jaehaerys and Alysanne who did not long survive are listed on the tree? Yes, they are. But, for example, the firstborn son of Viserys I and Aemma (named in an SSM, or interview, IIRC) isn't, nor is Prine Daemon's (stillborn son). Perhaps, this Targaryen son who predeceased his father isn't listed on the tree, simply because we haven't seen him yet, and there was the issue with the space.

Does that give us more possibilities?

Valarr Targaryen had two stillborn sons, before he died in 209 AC. Yet, Valarr seems to have been sound of mind during the Ashford Tourney in 209 AC, not dressing up any apes. So no, Valarr doesn't seem to have been the one.

His brother, Matarys Targaryen, doesn't even seem to have been married, and one can wonder whether he had been old enough to meet all the criteria, at least.

Daeron (the Drunken) Targaryen might have been the one as well. Daeron was already a drunk when we saw him in 209 AC, and we know he at least lived until 222 AC, when his daughter Vaella was fathered. Is it possible Daeron fathered a son, too, before, or possibly even after Vaella (it is unknown when exactly Daeron died), and this boy died? The birth of a son could have been a cheerful event for Daeron and Kiera, and the boy´s death might have driven Daeron to drink even more, leading to Daeron dressing an ape in a boy's clothes. I'm not certain how possible this is.

Duncan Targaryen (Prince of Dragonflies) is the last option, I think. And while we don't know all too much about Duncan, it doesn't sound like Duncan had had a mental breakdown (which is what I would call it when a man starts dressing an ape in his sons clothes, and starts proposing marriages for said ape).

The other Targaryens on the tree, I think, aren't really candidates.

To me, the only true candidates are either Prince Aegon, Maelor, and Daeron. Can anyone else think of another Targaryen prince?

Considering that the dead son in question seems to have been a child, we could go with both Aegon and Maegor (Aerion's son is a Maegor, not a Maelor). However, I guess Ran could give us a hint whether the Aegon who was Viserys' and Daemon's brother died in the cradle or whether he lived to adulthood.

If this was the case, then I'd favor Aegon over Maegor since a Targaryen prince during the reign of the dragons certainly was able to offend or ridicule the lords much more directly than a prince during Egg's reign. Considering Egg's problems with his lords the Ape Prince's behavior could have been something which added more fuel to the lords who already defied the king at every turn.

Unless, of course, we assume that the Ape Prince - Maegor in this theory - was obviously mentally challenged, not consciously trying to mock the lords, and everyone was aware of that fact. But even then, the men thus insulted may have wondered whether the prince was only pretending...

The Maegor possibility would also allow Maegor to die at Summerhall, as we could assume that his son was born around 248 AC, when Maegor was 16, and after he died five or six years later, he developed this strange habit late in life.

It also sounds likely that Ser Axell would be aware of the Ape Prince's existence if he lived much more closer to the present that Prince Aegon, as he does not strike me as a historian...

Considering that the dead son in question seems to have been a child, we could go with both Aegon and Maegor (Aerion's son is a Maegor, nor a Maelor). However, I guess Ran could give as a hint whether the Aegon who was Viserys' and Daemon's brother died in the cradle or whether he lived to adulthood.

That was a rather unfortunate typo on my part :) Thanks for pointing it out.

If this was the case, then I'd favor Aegon over Maegor since a Targaryen prince during the reign of the Targaryens certainly was able to offend or ridicule the lords much more directly than a prince during Egg's reign. Considering Egg's problems with his lords the Ape Prince's behavior could have been something which added more fuel to the lords who already defied the king at every turn.

Well, couldn't it be possible that, if Maegor was the Ape Prince, his actions caused additional problems for Egg, leading to Egg having to give in more into the wishes of his lords (as the World book puts it), than he would have needed to have done without Maegor present.

On the other hand, the reign of Viserys I seems a better environment for this Prince Aegon, and Aegon would have reached his late teens, early twenties, when Viserys ascended, should this Aegon indeed have lived this long.

IDHTBIFOM, but isn't it also possible that Aegon, son of Baelon, died young, and Baelon is the one who dressed up an ape as his son?

Could be, but I personally doubt that Baelon would have been named Hand if he had been dressing up an ape in Aegon's clothes.. Or he must have shown a really clear recovery before his period as Hand began.. And it wouldn't have improved Baelon's chances during 92 AC, when Jaehaerys had named him heir, I think..

Baelon is remembered as 'Baelon the Brave', so I really don't think that's an option. It is also confirmed that he was a very capable Hand. And neither is his elder brother Aemon - who may have an unmentioned son who died young before or after Rhaenys - since that guy seemed to have been Jaehaerys' heir and a capable warrior as he was killed fighting pirates who had taken the eastern half of Tarth.

I'll admit I thought of Aemon Prime was a contender even if he was a warrior. But I imagine the Prince was never that close to sitting the IT so my money is on Apegon, son of Baelon.

Davos also doesn't mention the Ape Prince's name which means Axell may not have either. This could mean it was further back in history and is relatively forgotten except the odd circumstance.

It could also be a prince from a pre-conquest kingdom. As the story was passed down through the generations the prince was changed to a Targaryen since they were the ruling family.

Like Serwyn of the Mirror Shield? Maybe, but that seems unlikely since the story seems tied to Targaryen madness.

The Targaryens lived in Dragonstone before the conquest. Around 100 years before. That's probably where the story originated, even though they weren't actually "princes". I personally don't think this is the case, but it's not impossible.

Unless, of course, we assume that the Ape Prince - Maegor in this theory - was obviously mentally challenged, not consciously trying to mock the lords, and everyone was aware of that fact.

So is it possible, that this princeling was only mocking the Lords? No mental illness, only a morbid and a bit arrogant kind of humor?

Could it then be Aemon One-Eye? He could have been married and then lost wife and son before 130...

But then again, who needs a pet, when one has a dragon...?

It's either Aegon or someone from the time that the Targaryens held Dragonstone before the Conquest. There are many Targaryens without known issue in the pre-conquest Targaryen line, so there is room enough to pick.

Archived